Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Stung $400

Bike
    Bikeless @ Mo - Injured
    I only bought L plates the day before sitting my restricted...
    I knew that I could get a $400 fine... however was a risk that I took out of my own choice. Am still yet to be pulled over on my bike 3 years later
    "World famous since ages ago"

Bike
    Aquired by locals
    Quote Originally Posted by redliner View Post
    Me and mate both got stung $400 for no L-plates yesterday We werent doing over 70kph or nething. Still not gona use ma L-plate because drivers sit up ur ass!!!! Other learners beware of the quoter filling 50
    Shame, your panties in a knot because you don't follow the rules and its the polices fault because they need to fill a quota? You need to grow up and learn to take responsibility
    To every man upon this earth
    Death cometh sooner or late
    And how can a man die better
    Than facing fearful odds
    For the ashes of his fathers
    And the temples of his Gods

Bike
    KTM 690 DUKE R
    Quote Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
    Shame, your panties in a knot because you don't follow the rules and its the polices fault because they need to fill a quota? You need to grow up and learn to take responsibility
    Though you do have to question the law since one cop has been on tellly saying 70 was too slow and he would ticket below that even though there was laws requiring it on the motorway........

What does one do after seeing that article on the tv? I mean? Here is a uniformed member of the constabulary saying he will ticket those that drive that slow on the motorway even though by law they are required to...... one could get all confused.............. weak defence I know..... but try it!

Bike
    Aquired by locals
    Quote Originally Posted by sAsLEX View Post
    Though you do have to question the law since one cop has been on tellly saying 70 was too slow and he would ticket below that even though there was laws requiring it on the motorway........

What does one do after seeing that article on the tv? I mean? Here is a uniformed member of the constabulary saying he will ticket those that drive that slow on the motorway even though by law they are required to...... one could get all confused.............. weak defence I know..... but try it!
    Tis true. But the ticket wasn't for travelling too slow. It was for failing to display an L plate.
    To every man upon this earth
    Death cometh sooner or late
    And how can a man die better
    Than facing fearful odds
    For the ashes of his fathers
    And the temples of his Gods

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Quote Originally Posted by sAsLEX View Post

? Here is a uniformed member of the constabulary saying he will ticket those that drive that slow on the motorway
    And if he was NOT in uniform the difference it would make would be????
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    2000 Honda CBR600F4, RG50/GL145 Bucket
    Quote Originally Posted by redliner View Post
    Still not gona use ma L-plate because drivers sit up ur ass!!!!
    Trust us, it's got nothing to do with the L-Plate. Drivers do it anyways ... Commodore drivers are the worst. But there is a good prevention strategy that does work (more in this thread http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...ad.php?t=43104) ...

No, don't slam your brakes on ... Tailgaters are after you and they'll get you one day when you have to stop for someone stupid in front.

Two Strategies:-
    - Double your following distance to 4secs so that you can brake slowly and not wear the wanker (or wankess) behind you

- To get them to back off a bit, this really works. Adjust your position on the road to be directly in front of their eyes. They were looking past you as if you weren't there, now they can't see. They will shift left/right so they can see - get in their line of sight again. I have ever only had to adjust my position in front of them a max of 4 times before seeing them drop back because they're running blind

It works, it's non-combative and they don't even know that you're controlling their position on the road. Report back to the thread when you've tried it

Bike
    KTM 690 DUKE R
    Quote Originally Posted by scumdog View Post
    And if he was NOT in uniform the difference it would make would be????
    Most members of public would struggle to identify him as a member of the Police.

In uniform, most people will know who and what he represents......

but hey I would know nothing .......

Bike
    KTM 690 DUKE R
    Quote Originally Posted by Grub View Post
    Two Strategies:-

opps missed a third
    Carry a big bolt down your steering head and use that as a "deterrent" to tailgaters........

Bike
    that one in my sig
    I've tested multiple scenarios while I was on my L plate.

Started with no L plate but decided that risking a $400 fine and invalidating my insurance wasn't worth it. Might as well ride a 400 if I'm going to do that....

So I put the L plate on. Made no difference to the number of people tailgating and I just rode to the speed limit on the motorway. I lost count of the number of police that just ignored me.

Then the L plate snapped off of it's own accord. Left a nice shard where it was attached so I figured I'd leave it that way for the last 2 months until my restricted. Still no change in the number of tailgaters and no change in policia attention. Had a cop follow me for a couple of km without incident.

In my experience Donor is right... For the most part an L plate doesn't make cages any more or less dangerous.

Bike
    A naked monster - just like me.
    Funny how there is little sympathy in here although when I mentioned tailgaters when I started learning, the general answer from members of this KB was to drop the L plate - so you just cannot win.

I'll admit I went without it for a little while - but when I thought it thru there is no reason other than "not wanting to look like a dweeb"

Everything else is just trying to justify it to others.

The upshot is that it makes sence to have it. No potential hassle with insurance and no tickets (allowing you another $400 towards your new bike).

It makes no difference to tailgaters - although as one poster mentioned everything looks like tailgaiting when you start out (aint that the truth).

So learn the lesson and thanks for sharing - hopefully it will let other learners be aware that people ARE ticketed for it.

BTW - Do you have a L plate on now?

Bike
    KTM 690 DUKE R
    The thing I get most confused about is PIXIE's avatar on the new guy? Double take every post!

Bike
    2018 Honda NC750X
    Quote Originally Posted by Donor View Post
    Wow, I must be special...

Rode for 6 months with an L plate and never once did I have a car bother me with following/intimidating.

Pass the HTFU pills... methinks some L platers are paranoid is all...
    Have to agree, I have been out a few times now and find that most people on the motor way do not sit up my butt, mind you i do keep to the middle lane and at 100k and only go into the fast lane if i need to pass someone in the middle lane

Bike
    2008 Hayabusa

Agreed

I ride with my Loser plate on!! for me I did consider another reason for not wearing it apart from just not being a "geek", cops might think my bike looks a bit to big for a 250 and pull me over....

But good reasons to have it on:

1. Insurance
    2. Fines
    3. Demerit points
    4. For those with exemption such as me, tickets = bye bye exemption....

Although I have been riding at 100 on the motorway, I'm assuming just keeping with the traffic flow, not speeding, not riding like a dick and the cops won't bother me....(assumption yet to be proven wrong...)

Any its only 6 months!!!

Have had one incident tho, was doing 60 in a 50, landrover tailedgated me for about 500m then passed me down the median strip.... not sure if this would have happened without the L-plate?? Apart from that I havn't noticed any difference having the L-plate on, as I did ride a couple times without it.
    Save me Jebus!! Save me!!

Bike
    A chubby lollipop
    I went my whole 'L' plate time without one, all the time riding a big block Harley. The bikes I borrowed for tests had one so I've never actually owned an 'L' plate.

For tailgaters (or any other dorks) I carry a rock in my right breast pocket. Theory tells me that I can heave the rock over my shoulder with my left hand and grab a wee handful at the same time.

As for the cop, just buy a gun and shoot him. Surely you can get a gun for less than $400, sheeeeez.

Bike
    RC46 VFR800 in yellow, VTR250, ÜberFXR
    Hmmm, interesting.

I largely went without the L during my learners, I was even pulled up about it by the constabulary without it being a major ("Take it easy, get it back on asap") But then, I am over 25 and usually pretty well behaved...especially when there is a car with a colourful paint job in my mirrors...

Either the good officer was having a bad day, filling their 'quota', or there was some other reason for them choosing to levy a fine...

I'd be searching my brain for what may have drawn the officer's attention if it was me.

It is a pain in the ass, as I concur that no L is better round Aucks to prevent the auckland special of tailgating, but by the same token - it's a risk you choose to take.
    Quote Originally Posted by xerxesdaphat View Post
    V4! VFR800s sound like some sort of alien rocket-ship coming to probe all of our women and destroy our cities

Thread Information