Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: reserve tank issue (Cock thing)

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by firestormer
    What would be the point of flaming you? If you'd run out of gas, there'd be no satisfying "WHooOOMPF!!", would there?
    The less gas in the tank the bigger the whooompf. It's the vapour that's flammable, not the fuel.

I'm picking force 1 mushroom cloud on the biker mushroom scale of 13.

Bike
    BMW R65LS, part time R75 old fart rider
    Give him a quick whack with your helmet on the side of his head, or summat.
    (Just to appease the Biker Gods, you understand... )
    Would that helmet be purple in colour?

Yokai, try draining the tank and flushing it out with something - theres a thread here somewhere - search for it about how to clean a tank. You may find that you wont need to remove your cock from the tank if you clean everything up well...
    Queiro voya todo Europa con mi moto.... pero no tengo suficiente tiempo o dinero.....

Bike
    El Bandito Negro
    now... after laughing myself silly over the last few days I'll post my reply to this

The fuel cock is a two level thing, it may have only lasted the 1.6 km if it got gunged up... so to clear the gunge periodicly there is a neat trick my uncle taught me when I was a lil kid...

Ride the first 5-10 km on every new tank of petrol on reserve, it will process most of the gunge that has built up from the last tank in the 'dead space' at the bottom... and will prevent it from getting to high enough levels to cause a blockage or too much damage.

It can get really jellylike down there if you don't clear it periodically. If you've been filling at stations that tankers have just filled you can also get lots of bits of dust, small bits of twigs and crap. When the tankers fill the big tank at the station they re-suspend all the crap that has collected at the bottom of their tanks...

Now to speak of this, I did a trip to chch and back and forgot to do this trick, and lo and behold I ran out today, switched to reserve and my bike got all rough on me... It will be a habit I'm sure I'll ingrain soon.

Bike
    XJR1200, Honda CB1/400
    At last some sensible advice after all this silliness about twiddling one's cock or removing it from the tank...
    Well done, the hollowmen (is that both of you, jointly and severally, or are you a very singular person??)
    In any case, I fully intend to follow your advice...
    ... if I remember next time I fill up.
    Age is too high a price to pay for maturity

Bike
    Scorpio, XL1200N
    "Granite Blue Metallic"
    Also known as 'Dusty Honda Black'?
    kiwibiker is full of love, an disrespect.
    - mikey

Thread Information