Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: New bike ZX10R

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kitsune View Post
    Till then ill keep to the posted limit here (50kph)
    boy... you really got no idea mate...

Lets just say once you climb aboard, that rule has about 99.999% chance of going out the window. Least the 07 stock is a little more docile around town, but its still a bike that wants to be ridden hard through the country.

Least waiheke does have a few 80 zones, iirc...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Hornet 900
    I am curious, what bikes over 250cc did you ride to see what you liked?

There are a number of engine designs, ride positions etc that make choosing a bike more than about the looks, but about what makes you happy when you ride.

Bike
    15 ZX10r, 07 ZX10r, 89 ZXR750
    Just about to go pick up a new bike wed morning/afternoon , the might zx10r ninja, biggest bike i have ever owned, any advice for looking after it / keeping myself alive on it?. Restrict the "thats to big" comments, throttle works both ways :
    Dude nice one, easy to ride bike heaps of everything where you need it.
    Taking your time is the key here, you will be rewarded for it.
    You’re dammed if you do and you’re dammed if you don’t… Bartholomew J. Simpson

Bike
    04 ZX10R 98 ZX9R #10
    What i would really like is tips for cornering aproach speed etc, breaking distance, how the big bikes like to be treated , maintinance etc . thanks guys
    I think stock tires r dunlops , as soon as i get some cash behind me again i will get the suspension done as u suggested, i dont expect to be pushing it much past 150 or so (about same speed as my 250) untill i get a real feel for the bike, i have been told by my mate with the r1 that my counter steering is pretty good, is this good practice on the bigger bikes? , ps never had a bad ding since i got past 18, afore then i fell off alot , usally trying to power stand lolz , learnt not to do it - gravel on waiheke is quite vicious.
    at least you have some experience.

take it slow and respect that i will have 750cc more engine and about twice the weight (if not 3 times). Thanks a bunch for the advice guys. Ps i have had a mate do similar to me , however he went for a modified 750gsx is that a more "safe" choice from a 250 or is just that the 1ltr ninja is a tricky bike 2 handle?
    actually you will have another 750cc about 3 or 4 times the horsepower and about half the weight. The 10R weigh nothing and they weigh even less when they are moving.

Quote Originally Posted by Kflasher View Post
    Dude nice one, easy to ride bike heaps of everything where you need it.
    Taking your time is the key here, you will be rewarded for it.
    The main point which you simply will not appreciate till you get on the bike and start riding it is there is no way you are going to be tootling round at 50k. The 10R does not do tootle. You might say you will take it easy but easy on a 10R is about 140km/hr. You wont know what speed you are doing without looking at the speedo. Perception will be all up the fuck. You will hit corners alot quicker than you think you are hitting them. Apart from that it depends how quickly you can learn. Oh yeah, interesting experience when you get frustrated with traffic, drop down a couple of gear and pin the throttle to pass some twat doing 70 and find yourself looking at the sky.

In saying all that. Best of luck with the new bike. They are awesome. Best of luck with the licence too.

Nearly all men can stand adversity and hard time, but if you want to test a mans true character, give him power....
    YouTube Videos
    MY PICTURES

Best place to stay in Hawkes Bay here

Bike
    2013 ZX14R SE
    Its the 07 Limited edition, having said that i still like my 250 , have learnt that thing backwards, i hope to have similar skills on my zx10 - after about 12 mths or so, im also learn to ride on waiheke island, figure if u can survive those roads as a biker u can survive pretty much anything
    Oh you lucky buggar! Love that limited edition paint job, looks hot!, congrats.

Bike
    1999 GSXR1100W, 1975 CT90
    Have you ridden anything bigger than a 250 before? Make sure you get full insurance

Don't die, cause then I can use you as an example and get a 1000 myself

Bike
    '10 R1, '07 ZX14
    We want pic's as well.
    Running in, the first 1,000ks.
    Dont hold it on a constant speed, rev, keep the needles moving. It will take about 90kms to get the brakes and clutch working properly, and to scrub the tyres in. Dont be afraid to wind it out to 8-9,000rpm from around 400kms but do it steadily and gently. You will get to forth gear, be well over ANY posted speed limit and realise to some small extent what you are riding. I doubt you will be willing to work to these revs in 5th or 6th gear.
    We use Bel Ray Super Clean Chain Lube and do our chain and sprocket every 1,000ks or so. Its more of a wax, and will ensure the longevity of your chain and sprocket. Also check tyre pressure every 1,000 to 1,500kms or before a long journey. This will also assist in lengthening the life of your tyre.
    Your roads sound like Norfland mate! Initially Chris only got around 1,800 to 2,300km out of every rear tyre, hence our passion for tyre prices! This was due to knowing our roads well, rougher road surfaces (we dont have pot holes up there we have hungi pits) and agressively using the throttle. Chris would leave black lines from wheel spinning into the corners as well as out of the corners
    The bike will be tamer with the original pipes and front sprocket. Break earlier into corners and set yourself up with the right gear and so you are positive holding (rather than negative holding) the power on as you enter and go through the corner excelerating out the other side. Get your lines right, and the best way to learn hyper sports bikes lines in to follow another litre bike, the coro loop would be perfect.
    The Dunlop Qualifiers (I think thats what they come out with) are pretty good but Im not sure how many Kms you will get out of them, depends on how you will ride it.
    Get your shop to set up your suspension for your weight and type of riding you will be doing (not that there is a lot of choice, theres fast, faster, fastest and insane to choose from).
    The motor will really start to loosen up after your 6,000km service, by then you should also be starting to understand the bikes behaviour.
    You will also find when you are sports bike riding your body will need to move around a fair bit.
    There are some really good wax products out there today and I do recommend getting several layers on ASAP, the paint quality (more so with the '06) was not the best on ours and also because your acceleration is extraordinary, you will end up coming up behind traffic more frequently, so there will be a lot more stone throwing at the front of your bike. We have put a clear film over the front of the 14 this time, worth the expense.
    Hope this helps. Its painfully obvious everyone is amazed to see someone go from a 250 to this particular litre bike (given its rep for not being the tamest of the bunch). I have to agree, you will not pootle at 50kms on this bike, you would never use any other gear than 1st if you try!
    Keep us updated, you are embarking on an awesome journey with this bike
    View my new blog at www.girlybikes.blogspot.com
    Perfection is not something you should ever attain, but something to always strive for. For if we actually achieve our idea of perfection, is it then any longer perfect?

Bike
    02' ZX6R
    Who else reading this is feeling there gut moving. That is an interesting step up from a 250.

Currently I ride a 50cc scooter across town to work and the problem is I should really replace the brakes and throtle with on off switches as that is all I do when I ride the scooter. it is all on or all off. This has caused a few problems when I get back on the 636 as I have left the drive way and had the back wheel next to me once or twice because I was still in scooter mode.

Where I am going is this watch out for you instinctive reactions that you have sitting in the back of your head as step from 250 to 1000 means these reactions are going to have very different results.

Good luck
    Need something to do when not riding??? Come and learn to dance with us at www.cerocstars.co.nz

Bike
    nope ... gone burger

Thumbs up Big Ups to you

Its posts like this that make KB AWESOME - thanks Unit

Cheers

Ninja Nanna

Quote Originally Posted by Unit View Post
    ....edited
    Running in, the first 1,000ks.
    Dont hold it on a constant speed, rev, keep the needles moving. It will take about 90kms to get the brakes and clutch working properly, and to scrub the tyres in. Dont be afraid to wind it out to 8-9,000rpm from around 400kms but do it steadily and gently. ....
    We use Bel Ray Super Clean Chain Lube and will ensure the longevity of your chain and sprocket.

check tyre pressure every 1,000 to 1,500kms or before a long journey. This will also assist in lengthening the life of your tyre.

Break earlier into corners and set yourself up with the right gear and so you are positive holding (rather than negative holding) the power on as you enter and go through the corner excelerating out the other side. Get your lines right, and the best way to learn hyper sports bikes lines in to follow another litre bike, the coro loop would be perfect.

Get your shop to set up your suspension for your weight and type of riding you will be doing (not that there is a lot of choice, theres fast, faster, fastest and insane to choose from).
    The motor will really start to loosen up after your 6,000km service

You will also find when you are sports bike riding your body will need to move around a fair bit.
    There are some really good wax products out there today and I do recommend getting several layers on ASAP, We have put a clear film over the front of the 14 this time, worth the expense.

Its painfully obvious everyone is amazed to see someone go from a 250 to this particular litre bike (given its rep for not being the tamest of the bunch). I have to agree, you will not pootle at 50kms on this bike, you would never use any other gear than 1st if you try!
    Keep us updated, you are embarking on an awesome journey with this bike

.... back in green and feeling great ....

Bike
    that one in my sig
    Quote Originally Posted by jrandom View Post
    The only advice I have is stay on the gas.

At some point in the wet etc shit will happen that hasn't happened to you on a two fiddy.

Stay calm and stay on the gas and you'll be fine. Lowsiding doesn't usually hurt much, and it's the worst case outcome if you just stay on the gas.
    Happens to me on my 250 ... Not in the dry mind you.

Stay on the gas has saved my arse from high-siding a few times now. Just hope it's ingrained enough into my subconscious for when I upgrade (not to a litrebike tho )

Bike
    Kawasaki Vulcan Meanstreak 07 LE

Awesome advice guys

Thanks for that man , i was actually considering going down an empty parking lot one night to get a feel for stopping distance's , at what point will the bike try to do certain things etc, i might see if my mate with the r1 minds taking me for a nana tour so he can show me a bit better what to expect etc. anyhow heading to the shop now should have some pics up later

Bike
    R1
    Grats on your new bike Kitsune.

I'm in a similar situation, so hope you don't mind me sharing my experience!

I have about two years riding experience (probably less than you) and I bought an R1 last week. I went from a GN250 to a FZR250R to a '99 ZXR7 to an '02 R1 all in the space of a short time. I'm 23 and I got my full license about a month ago. After having insurance with State for 8 years on over ten different vehicles with no claims they told me to jump in a lake when I requested insurance for my R1. Anyway, side tracking here.

Sorry I can't offer you advice on mods, oil, maintenance or anything like that. I just noticed a few people who replied to your post are weary of your new purchase, given your experience on smaller bikes etc.

I had everyone give me similar messages, especially my family, I listened and it helped me.

Obviously your zx10r has loads of power and weighs in at next to nothing. No one buys a bike like that to be a nana all the time. My little piece of inexperienced advice is: Give it loads of respect and take your time to get used to it. The moment you push it beyond your confidence just increases that chance of a nasty and its real easy to do, espeically when some dude on the road pisses you off, reminding you your riding a monster and you could pass him in one second... or having the opportunity to open her up on a long stretch of road or pushing it too much on the corners... Save it for the track, it gives you something to look forward to in a legal and safer environment.

Anyway, that's all obvious stuff. I just hope your mind is prepared for the situations you will come across.

On my R1 I feel there is a whole other side to the bike that I'm never going to know until I take it to the track. For now its fun just commuting to work and waving back at those who wave at me.

Hope you enjoy it aye. Its special to be able to ride a piece of engineering brilliance like that.

Bike
    '06 SQUIDFEST-O-RAMA
    The 10 is pretty easy to ride and jump on to, it moves around like a 250 apart from pushing it up hills or in very very tight under 40k stuff depending on setup.

Brakes are pretty average but will be phenomenal for what you're used to.
    Long 1st gear means a lot of clutch riding an 13-15kmh at stock idle/gearing with the clutch in and no gas. Don't let that get away from you in your first few rides.

Oil: JSG posted up a great thread about oil types for use in bikes.
    http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Oils1.html

I use motul 5100 as it's one of the best you can buy for it and you do notice gearbox differences with oil types, especially older bikes.

You will find yourself going into corners faster etc etc they make you seem like you are not going very fast through twisties, or more that you are not pushing it..

Lines:
    Bigger bikes mean bigger power. Where would it's main advantage be (esp the 10r with it's amazing engine/grunt?) on a straight. So quite a few racers tend to turn into the corner sharper and more early with a longer 'straight' exit to get the power down. For you starting off though I'd just recommend you ride the bike slowly and cautiously for a month or two, 2nd month is when you usually start doing stupid shit - try not to...
    They power slide nicely also if you crack them after apexing the corner. Wait a while before doing that also
    You will appear to counter steer more on bigger bikes for some reason (in my experience anyway) or it feels more. I find steering damper adjustment can make a big difference to this so have a play with it (you have a stock 'ohlins' branded mass produced external to ohlins proper factory damper...).
    Shift weight on your pegs and countersteer the bike move your body etc, see what works best for you as everyone has a different style.
    If you are buying it from mt eden don't let bungie set it up for you he sets waaaay too hard for general use.
    The 06/07 is pretty stable as a bike as long as you don't set it up for crazy turn in (like I set all my bikes) it then can get a little twitchy but fine tune her and she'll turn in like mad and ride on rails.
    Braking points - you will be going 2x the speed so set them much further back, in saying that they are much better at braking and handling, but always keep in mind you will be going faster than you think especially when you first get the bike.
    Cold tyres she will spin up around 8k depending on mods and tyres and road surface. In the wet it'll spin at 250+ if your tyres are rooted enough.
    If she does spin up it does have the tendancy to dance side to side, slowly roll it back off or ride it out which is the fun option (DONT CHOP IT) and she will be sweeeet as can be
    Don't pull wheelies everywhere on them, even putting em down reasonably soft can long term cause damage to head bearings, front shocks and frame. And can cause you to write them off when you fuck one up.... cough cough.

Tyres to run:
    Dunlop qualifiers they come with are utter rubbish, they can slide nicely that's about it get rid of them asap, shit in the wet too. I run Diablo corsas at the moment they are lovely, stradas do well for commuting on them, I'll try the 2CT or contis next when I can afford to.

mods:
    Suspension first! Ohlins is the way.. makes it a dream to ride. Firm and supple like a nice woman.. mmmm!
    Cheapy - chuck a zx6r (05 and up from memory) master cylinder on. It improves brake 'feel' and grab zone quite nicely
    For even better braking maybe too much considering how snappy they are on the 14r is to chuck zx14r callipers onto the 10r....

supercharger kits, turbo kits etc are all avail for that bike. I'd wait a long time before doing that though
    Other mods:

Cheap and easy one is 2ndary throttle butterflies, remove them (unscrew with a screw driver) and you've got yourself some low down grunt (stops bogging under 6k). In the wet it will be more of a handful so be very careful. You may need a power commander to correct lean fueling from that mod, not all bikes need that though. Basically take tank off, airbox then they'll be sitting there. Google it for more info.

Sprockets as per DMNTD: 1 tooth on front or 2 on the rear etc, makes it more wheelie prone. As a stock bike it doesn't wheelie too much on a flat off the throttle in 1st/2nd but add a bump in and it'll come in at some rather more 'fun' speeds.
    Kawasaki race cams are cheap for some good power and makes the bike much more 'rideable' than stock IMO, replace the usual valve train parts (collets etc) for reliability and also do both cams for a reliable daily ride.
    Dyno blockoff plates for Co2 emissions, makes things easier when you need to get her tuned (even for a simple exhaust).
    Exhaust take your pick they all make more sound or a tad more power.. go whatever looks best.
    Power commander is a must really when you do much more than exhaust or even just a full exhaust system. depends on setup.
    Head gasket can be thinned out to increase compression, tip: don't increase compression too much if you want a daily ride with almost the same reliability as stock engine, you wouldn't run 91 fuel either (shouldn't really anyway but you usually get away with it fine on stock bikes).

Race pistons if you really want to spend some money, as with head port/polish/oversize blueprinting engine etc etc, those things get to be big money for little gain after gaskets/cams etc.

Anyway, enjoy your bike!

Bike

Just got the bike home

Fuck me thats a fucking monster, soon as i rolled it off the boat (was being laughed at by some of the crew, who happen to be bikers) cause i stalled it getting used to where the power / cluctch mix would kick in, and clutch drove it down the ramp. then gave it a little twist and i was at 40 k in a second , nothing scary , i just didnt even notice till i looked down was like woah mumma , then on the ride home gave her a little blip in second and the bike went 50kph - 90kph before i could even blink. Oh and since when does gravity come from behind you ? lolz, damn nice machine and the suspension is , well compared to what im used to excellent, the roads are just as rough but i dont have to worrie if my tires have momentarily lost contact with the road. havent even got her over 100kph yet, breaking her in as per manufacutres specs (under 4,000 till 600k's then only up to 6,000 till 1,000). as for respecting the bike, very much respect, i can tell if i dont handle her correctly, and learn what the fuck it is im doing im gonna be another statistic. Ill keep you guys posted as i adjust to the new machine

Bike

Went for another ride

Just took the beast out again, less scary more fun this time, my ride lines r messed up and im taking most corners at round 50kph , if that but at least im getting a good feel for the bike , it doesnt feel heavy even tho its much heavier then the last bike. Still taking it hell easy for at least a mth or so , specially till i can get her in for her first service

Thread Information