Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Wire (cheese cutter) barriers

Bike
    Honda CX500 "Shithawk"
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave- View Post
    I'm sorry for the death of your friend, but I oppose your argument.
    clearly I am out numbered.
    so I'm not going to post my reasons, and like a proper minority, will just be quiet.
    best of luck with your campaign.
    What a fucking cop-out. I challenge you to stand up and justify yourself.
    Determined to kill my bike before it kills me

Bike
    81 katana 650 fighter.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steam View Post

echoed.....were waiting

Bike
    Honda CX500 "Shithawk"
    On second thoughts, maybe not in this thread, as this thread is for compiling information about why they should be removed.
    Determined to kill my bike before it kills me

Bike
    2020 ls650 boulevard
    if you oppose, but dont want to say why, then why the fuck say anything in the first place? or do you like the idea of your body being ripped up by wires and posts?

i second the challenge placed by steam.
    my blog: http://sunsthomasandfriends.weebly.com/index.html

the really happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery when on a detour.

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    All I can add to this thread is the fact that it takes little mental effort to visualise the effect on anything that is not 'slab-sided' hitting a wire rope.
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    2006 honda ST1300

What needs to go

oh, was looking at home page,
    Remember, when somone annoys you that it takes 42 muscles to frown,...
    it only takes 4 to muscles to extend your arm and bitchslap the f#%#er upside the head

Bike
    18 Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport

Dangerous Barriers - THEY HAVE TO GO!

My thought go out to the respective friends and family for this unnecessary loss of life. Yes, these dangerously constructed barriers do have to go however the reason there is no urgency to address this avoidable danger is very clear. In most other countries such an accident would result in a costly prosecution for the Roads Agency or governing authority. In NZ, they just say 'Pass it to ACC' and there is no accountability. The NZ Health and Safety standards are not adequate and hence, there is no enforceable law. We should all right to our PMs to put pressure for an urgent change.
    “PHEW.....JUST MADE IT............................. UP"

Bike
    1982 kat 1100r
    motorcycle action group in the Uk have been actively campaigning against these lethal objects for a good number of years.. link follows

http://www.network.mag-uk.org/crashb...arrier2005.pdf
    see god then brake... kevin schwantz

Bike
    18 Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    That is excellent. Thank you.
    “PHEW.....JUST MADE IT............................. UP"

Bike
    CBR1000RR
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave- View Post
    I'm sorry for the death of your friend, but I oppose your argument.

clearly I am out numbered.

so I'm not going to post my reasons, and like a proper minority, will just be quiet.

best of luck with your campaign.
    hang about - the guy said he has reasons to not agree but steps aside to allow you to continue on your way to reach a goal...

Rather than blast him - I respect the position taken.

That being said, Dave - the invite's there to PM me with those reasons. I'm open to lines of argument I haven't thought of.

Quote Originally Posted by sunhuntin View Post
    if you oppose, but dont want to say why, then why the fuck say anything in the first place? or do you like the idea of your body being ripped up by wires and posts?

i second the challenge placed by steam.
    This is a heated topic for sure - but if we can avoid escalating this to violence in our own ranks we have a better chance of putting forward and well rounded, informed opinion and challenge to Transit and those in power.

Hell... this is a chance to learn people... or did I miss something?
    $2,000 cash if you find a buyer for my house, kumeuhouseforsale@straightshooters.co.nz for details

Bike
    GSX-R1100
    I reckon! I also deduce from his comment, that he's saying since we're in the minority, therefore should stay quiet!

I'd suggest someone could put a petition up? It could be hosted at www.petitiononline.com

Bike
    06 scrambler,xrl,
    Blog Entries
    It would be great to see Transit remove and replace these barriers, but sadly I don't think they will any time soon. However, I see no reason why a preformed plastic(recycled?) "Blanket" couldn't be trialled that fits over the existing fence.
    I'm sure a #8 wire type solution could be knocked out between Transit engineers, a plastic manufacturer, and a Motorcycle action group.
    This would continue to supply the vehicle safety factor, and help reduce motorcycle fatalities by offering a Sliding Surface Area, rather than impact points.
    Use recycled plastic at the appropriate thickness to allow for strength and some flexibility, and make them easy to fit and cheap to manufacture.
    MHO

Bike
    GSX-R1100
    [QUOTE=Hell... this is a chance to learn people... or did I miss something?[/QUOTE]

I think you missed something. His post contributed nothing to the thread other than a likelihood that it would inflame others. He could have given some justification why the barriers should stay. Though from a bikers perspective I can't think of any positive reasons why they should stay.

If this had happened to the son of a high profile person it's likely something would change, and quickly, and you wouldn't be getting Transit NZ coming out with such an insensitive response either probably. They'd probably say they'd commissioned some investigation and study into possible changes and improvements.

The argument for a lack of change due to cost vs. probability is just crap. There are numerous examples of change that have come about because of rare events where someone gets hurt or killed, and something is done about it, and pronto.

Bike
    Suzuki Smash 2016. (Yes, really!)
    Quote Originally Posted by tri boy View Post
    It would be great to see Transit remove and replace these barriers, but sadly I don't think they will any time soon. However, I see no reason why a preformed plastic(recycled?) "Blanket" couldn't be trialled that fits over the existing fence.
    I'm sure a #8 wire type solution could be knocked out between Transit engineers, a plastic manufacturer, and a Motorcycle action group.
    This would continue to supply the vehicle safety factor, and help reduce motorcycle fatalities by offering a Sliding Surface Area, rather than impact points.
    Use recycled plastic at the appropriate thickness to allow for strength and some flexibility, and make them easy to fit and cheap to manufacture.
    MHO
    Could be a use for all the old baleage wrapping lying around in farmers' paddocks all over the country.
    "Statistics are used as a drunk uses lampposts - for support, not illumination."

Bike
    06 GT250R Electric Mango
    http://www.roadsonline.com.au/articl...e=29&section=1

Found this article. Guy that heads the Tasmanian motorbike council needs his head read!

http://www.network.mag-uk.org/barriers/WRB-reportV9.pdf

This article gives facts and figures comparing concrete to cheese cutters

Thread Information