Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ACC levies...to increase again

Bike
    Repsol Blade & SV pro twin

ACC levies...to increase again

From the Dom Post this morning.

Basically, it is proposed that bikers will face a 5% increase in ACC component of registration, and petrol levy will increase from 5.04 to 5.77 cents a litre.

Bikers are being singled out (again) "because they use less fuel than cars and had a high rate of accidents".

We all know that most bike accidents are the fault of another driver so how the hell can they keep raising that as an argument ?

And, isn't less fuel consumption = less pollution a good thing ?

I doubt the Minister for the Environment would be too impressed by that statement.

The final comment is that charging motorists at the pump is fairer "because it targets those who travel longer distances". Well, people travelling longer kms use more fuel, so how does that balance with the comment about bikers using LESS fuel, paying a higher levy ?

All this despite ACC posting a $696 million surplus over budget.

Farking twats, the lot of them.

Im off to write a letter to Ruth Dyson - probably not much use, (perhaps we all should) then again, it is generating work and probably keeps some other twat in a job.

I feel a protest ride coming on - lets block the motorway into Wellington for a couple of hours. If its good for the goose......
    Visit the team here - teambentley

Thanks to my sponsors : The Station Sports Cafe and Bar | TSS Red Baron | Zany Zeus | Continental | The Office Relocation Company | Fine Signs | Stokes Valley Collision Repair | CBWD Digital Media Inbound Marketing

Bike
    2008, GSR600K
    Quote Originally Posted by Deano
    I feel a protest ride coming on - lets block the motorway into Wellington for a couple of hours. If its good for the goose......
    I'm in! Haven't been to a good protest in...days!
    My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

Bike
    KTM 690 DUKE R
    Bikers are being singled out (again) because they use less fuel than cars and had a high rate of accidents.

$12 bucks of petrol for 90 odd Km on the RG, show me a normal car less economic than that!!!

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries

Basically, it is proposed that bikers will face a 5% increase in ACC component of registration, and petrol levy will increase from 5.04 to 5.77 cents a litre.

Bikers are being singled out (again) because they use less fuel than cars and had a high rate of accidents.

We all know that most bike accidents are the fault of another driver so how the hell can they keep raising that as an argument ?

I doubt the Minister for the Environment would be too impressed by that statement.

The final comment is that charging motorists at the pump is fairer because it targets those who travel longer distances. Well, people travelling longer kms use more fuel, so how does that balance with the comment about bikers using LESS fuel, paying a higher levy ?

Im off to write a letter to Ruth Dyson - probably not much use, (perhaps we all should) then again, it is generating work and probably keeps some other twat in a job.

Write the letter as a letter we can all download and sign and send in individually. Makes it more likely that more of us will actually send it, and more mail means a broader sampling of public opinion.

We should try not to get righteously indignant, because once the accident is over the ACC is left paying for the motorcyclist's recovery, and the effect of a debilitating accident reverberates throughout our families and community. We should probably concentrate on not falling off or getting ourselves into the position of being involved in injury accidents.

Remember that the concept of motorcyclists not being responsible for the greater proportion of their accidents is not publicly acknowledged in NZ. If you are going to claim that make sure you quote the studies that make those claims, with both a copy of the table in the letter and a link to URL with more detail.

Bear in mind that the greenies don't want anyone to be burning any hydrocarbons full stop. They are helping to define public policy. As far as they are concerned the amount of hydrocarbons consumed versus distance travelled is irrelevant.

Bike
    Nothing At the Moment
    JEEZ!
    and with petrol prices just saoring up, i guess ACC wanted some of that dosh
    bunch of wankers, perhaps i should start designing the electric mtb with 6 by 9 sound blasters of the best sound in the world (a mtb running petrol, duh)
    I would protest, lets sit across the Aotea quay offramp who else is up for it?
    Every Day Is A Good Day With Two Scoops Of Raisins Peter
    ~Family Guy~

Bike
    Cali 111 Guzzi
    According to the ACC dude in the ODT the other day, if we were to pay the full value of ACC for bikes, we would end up with a bill of $1500 each bike!!
    Administration is what stops them charging other high user sports, their words, not mine.

Bike
    Repsol Blade & SV pro twin
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim2
    Write the letter as a letter we can all download and sign and send in individually. Makes it more likely that more of us will actually send it, and more mail means a broader sampling of public opinion.
    My engrish wasn't that great at school and Im sometimes not renowned for my tact but there is no copyright so feel free to hack and slash.

We should try not to get righteously indignant, because once the accident is over the ACC is left paying for the motorcyclist's recovery, and the effect of a debilitating accident reverberates throughout our families and community. We should probably concentrate on not falling off or getting ourselves into the position of being involved in injury accidents.
    True, but accidents are often unavoidable (on the bikers part) and if you aren't at fault then I think a little righteous indignance is justified at being hit harder in the wallet for it.

Remember that the concept of motorcyclists not being responsible for the greater proportion of their accidents is not publicly acknowledged in NZ. If you are going to claim that make sure you quote the studies that make those claims, with both a copy of the table in the letter and a link to URL with more detail.
    Anyone want to help with the research here ? Im sure it has been quoted and posted on one of these forums.

Bear in mind that the greenies don't want anyone to be burning any hydrocarbons full stop.
    Even Nandor ? He's admitted to burning hydrocarbons gratuitously
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Visit the team here - teambentley

Thanks to my sponsors : The Station Sports Cafe and Bar | TSS Red Baron | Zany Zeus | Continental | The Office Relocation Company | Fine Signs | Stokes Valley Collision Repair | CBWD Digital Media Inbound Marketing

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    My engrish wasn't that great at school and Im sometimes not renowned for my tact but there is no copyright so feel free to hack and slash.
    The English is fine!

True, but accidents are often unavoidable (on the bikers part) and if you aren't at fault then I think a little righteous indignance is justified at being hit harder in the wallet for it.
    I've said this before and gotten into trouble, but there is no such thing as an accident when you are talking about driving a vehicle on the road. Someone always cocks up to cause a situation that was avaoidable, whether it is a single vehicle accident or a multi vehicle pile up.

Anyone want to help with the research here ? Im sure it has been quoted and posted on one of these forums.
    It's not New Zealand research, nor will it be published by Monash university, where all our transport policy seems to be generated.

Even Nandor ? He's admitted to burning hydrocarbons gratuitously
    If Nandor is true to his party's agenda then, yes, even Nandor.

Good on you for taking a stand and quickly making your feelings known, and for asking some pertinent questions.

New Zealand needs more people to take this kind of stance on issues they care about, because politics is essentially a form of consensus mob rule, and if the mob doesn't like something (i.e. motorcyclists - the dirty heathens!), then it can be a vote winning issue, or justification for legislation that ends up affecting everyone.

Nice one Deano.

Bike
    1989 TZR 250
    Bastards
    Yup protesting would be good. Not sure about going down to wellington to do it, but maybe.

Bike
    RF900

Bikers are being singled out (again) "because they use less fuel than cars and had a high rate of accidents".

The final comment is that charging motorists at the pump is fairer "because it targets those who travel longer distances". Well, people travelling longer kms use more fuel, so how does that balance with the comment about bikers using LESS fuel, paying a higher levy ?

"PROTEST RIDE" save your petrol it's not going to help.
    You see protesting to the politician will not do anything. I no because I went on the last ACC protest ride where about 1000 motorcyclists had the same idea. But too no avail.
    You see MPs are just signature writters and don't really have any idea on what to do, so they employ consultants and logistical people too advise them on these matters. Now here's the tricky part the consultants and logistic people have the wrong formula and don't have whole equation hence the $696 million surplus.
    But you might say well why don't they see this and rectify this. The anwser is no one wants to look like a dook, do they. Now all this making profit and not waisting consultant fees looks good on the politician portfolio and can earn him or she further points in furthering themselves to being promoted up the ladder in there future. Now you might say this is kind of deep and far out but this what really goes on a sort of organised kayoss.
    Are fuck it if you arrange it I'll be there
    and lets ride
    member of the R. M. CLUB the dying race

Bike
    2008, GSR600K
    Nice one. I'll do a bit of adjusting and sign and send it mate.
    My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

Bike
    GSXR 750 (No 10)

At this stage it's just rhetoric (my england is choice). If it's ratified then protest action is on. Worked for the farmers on the fart tax issue. In the interim letter writing is the go in the form of submissions to the select committee on the matter.

Failing all that then burn them.................burn them all!!!

Bike
    99 zx6r

Talking a kiwi biker hikoi????

fuck em[acc homos].
    my drinking team has a racing problem

Bike
    GSX-R600K3
    How come the motorcyclists ACC goes up when often cages are involved (Cause prangs) ?? Shouldn't their ACC go up to pay for there lack of sight??? when they cause a crash.
    Life is difficult because it is non-linear.

Bike
    KTM 690 DUKE R
    how about ACC on horses?? they tend to hurt themselves just as much as people or Push bikes and everything else that people hurt themselve on these days. A levy on glass tables/ showers and ladders would also be appropriate??

Thread Information