Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rarotonga license practical test

Bike
    1993 Yamaha SRV
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverfern View Post
    Raro licences seem to be a money making business for the islanders.

an showed his licence, the policeman turned it over, read the back and then gave it back and waved us on. Not a word about it being a Raro car licence!
    At least it's only $10 bucks. Licencing here is a much bigger money making business - check out how much it costs for the scratchy test these days!

I got a licence to drive a heavy vehicle after a 'two day' 'course' - ONE and ONE HALF HOURS actually practising and driving the thing, and a WHOLE BLOODY DAY on filling out a log book, (which, by the way I had already been tested on once for a P endorsement but as the testers weren't NZQA registered it 'didnt count'.) Grrrrr.

I am sure the fact that you at least had some sort of Raro licence was why he let you go. The week we were there there was a blitz and they got ten people who had been too cheap to pay the $10.

__________________________________________________ _____________________________

Back on a 250 and riding more than ever.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha SRV
    Quote Originally Posted by 90s View Post
    Good point. I was writing a case for myself when I went to Raro for work and just thought it was easier to do it this way ...
    (and in a recent tidy-up I found my old Belgian licence tucked into a book in the end anyway ... )

Its not about that for us overseas people who have been riding 20 yrs but lost our old licences or failed to convert them in time - a kicker for sure.
    But litrebikes for Raro noobs - yes its a bit sus!
    All good points. I am just trying to save a few bucks as I seem to have paid a lot in licencing fees over the last few years.

Will not be getting a litre bike in the near future.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________

Bike
    1985 Yamaha FZ250
    I've just got my learners a week ago and heading off to Raro in 2 weeks time and will be getting my licence over there! Will see how i go getting it converted over 2 nz full licence (not that i dare to drive anything bigger than a 250cc etc will just save alot of $$$ and time since i'm under 25).. Will post up how i get on with the conversion process..

Bike
    1993 Yamaha SRV
    Quote Originally Posted by iceqwn View Post
    I've just got my learners a week ago and heading off to Raro in 2 weeks time and will be getting my licence over there! Will see how i go getting it converted over 2 nz full licence (not that i dare to drive anything bigger than a 250cc etc will just save alot of $$$ and time since i'm under 25).. Will post up how i get on with the conversion process..
    Good on you. With any sort of Beauracracy the thing you need most is patience! And finding someone in the office who understands their own rules.

The conversion can be done, you will need to do a full practical test. Be aware that the Cooks licence expires on your next birthday, so you will have 12 months after that to do it. I'd feel safer doing it when it wasn't expired though, but that's just me - a chicken.

Bike
    crf 450
    iceqwn - how did you get on converting your Raro licence?

Bike
    98' Harley Dyna Wideglide

Update on Raro licenses and the new helmet rule

Just got back from our annual Raro hols and, seeing it's been a year since our last trip, thought I'd give kb'ers an update.

They have doubled the cost of the Raro "souvenir" license to $20. I chose to pay for the new 5 year option at $50, so I don't have to queue for an hour every bloody time we go there for a few years.

There was a new law in place on 1 April 08' that helmets were compulsory and nobody bothered to say anything so it was written into law. Then the cops starting hammering locals at $100 a time for not riding with helmets so the whole island went up in arms about it.

So the Raro government capitulated, of sorts, and the rule was changed so that helmets were compulsory at 40 kmh or higher. Seeing as most of the locals ride dodgy old runners that wouldn't go any faster anyway, they are happy again riding helmetless, including the pillions, many of which are youngsters.

Now the cops are pinging all the young hoons, and tourists, who get caught doing 41kmh or more, for a $100 donation to the local economy. And apparently you have to pay up or your bike is confiscated on the side of the road. Bit of a problem if it's a renter!

The practicals I saw being done in October were the same as always, out the police driveway, right into Avaroa rd to the only roundabout on the island (about 500 metres), around and back to the station. They were pushing them thru at about ten an hour and a solid queue the day we were there.

And this was the funniest sight we saw there this time (Oct 08'). Check the full 20kg gas bottle the pillion is holding.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	raro-08-around_raro-1.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	84.3 KB 
ID:	109934  
    BikerMates
    Kiwi Biker Support Network

Assist fellow bikers who have broken down or are in trouble in your area.

A totally free service!

Thread Information