Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Touring NZ on sportsbikes?

Bike
    81 katana 650 fighter.
    Blog Entries

Touring NZ on sportsbikes?

Hey all.

Ive been putting this off for a while...but know i will do it eventually becausei want to do it.

the plan is tour nz

i'm thinking the coast all the way round (or whatever road is closest to the coast), round the north island the south island, and possibly stewert island.

at this stage i'm not sure who with, my friend tony is keen, but i may yet go by myself, but would be awesome to spend it with a good mate.

i'm wondering a few things

1. What sort of timeframe would i realistically need to do this? i am thinking stop enjoy the scenery etc.....and stick around in towns and check them out etc and see all the sights. am i looking at a month...2 months 3 months...never done touring in my life so i don't know how long it will all take.

2. i want to do it on a sportsbike... ie zx6r or similar maybe zx10r. worst comes to worst, the model bike thats always been there for me would be my trusty steed , the mighty zxr250, but in reality i think it would be too hard on a 250.

in all honesty i don't have megabucks to spend on a bike but the plan is to buy something nice before doing this, but i'm not going to do alot of touring after this i don't think. and having some big paris- dakar specd BMW for commuting on just isnt my style, i was tempted to buy a sports tourer...... v strom perhaps i don't know, but in all honest i'm a full on sportsbike guy the whole way.

3. moneywise? how much should i allow for an adventure like this, i assume accomidation will be the killer? anybody able to please offer some advice.

i won't be doing it just yet, but i need to see how viable it is at this stage in my life asi am only 20.

that and i cant save for something unless i have a goal if i know how much i need to save i can do it.

thanks in advance: Mark

Bike
    750 auw
    Piece of piss on a sportsbike especially when you're not an old fart. Obviously not as comfortable, but it shouldnt put you off doing it just stop lots.

I did auck - wgtn - nelson - franz - wanaka - qnstwn - tekapo - chchc - kaikorua - wgtn - auck in about 6 days on a cbr600. That's a rushed timeframe, but a month would be achievable. Extend that to 6 weeks and should be sweet.

Stay at backpackers if you dont mind sharing a dorm. Cheap ($20-30) and you get the chance to meet some lovely blond swedish backpacker, but watch out you dont meet the hairy israeli "backpackers" if you know what i mean.

Three things though, it's a long way to walk home from Balcutha, and you need a licence, and a bike

Bike
    Scorpio, XL1200N
    Of course it's fucking viable. Have a motorcycle, take some time off work, pack a bag and fuck off down the highway. It's what we do. It's not that complicated. Unfortunately, Mark, you're missing two of the more important parts of that equation.

Your road to motorcycle touring nirvana starts here.
    kiwibiker is full of love, an disrespect.
    - mikey

Bike
    I just lost count
    Hey Mark I am by no means an expert but I just back from my first tour down south a couple of weeks ago my route was:

Auckland - Hamilton - wellington - Timaru - Invercargaril (camped up for 3 nights) - Quesentown (camped up for two nights) - Christchurch - Wesport - Renwick (just outside blenim) - Hamilton - Auckland.

That took a group of us 12 days, no doubt it could have been done a lot quicker or taken a lot longer. Mum and dad spent about 5 weeks down south at the start of the year and still could have seen more of the island (they did regulary stop and partake in tourest activities).

As for cost, your big three are Gas, Accomadation, and food.

Gas you can not get around, you can make it cheaper by trying to ensure that you dont have to fill up at obscure little gas stations in the middle of no where, where the accept payment by arm and or leg.

Accomadtion you can get cheap, camping grounds with a tent (or the side of the road even) would be your cheapest.

Food I found hard, if you are staying somewhere for a couple of days you can do a small supermarket shop, however bear in mind that you cant carry a hell of a lot with you once you get on the bike.

As for cost, I didnt add up what the trip cost me (it was a holiday after all) but I think it would have been close $2K, no doubt you could do it a lot cheaper, or you could spend a hell of a lot more.

For the record Qkkid was in my bed, not the other way round

Quote Originally Posted by Yow Ling View Post
    Pumba is a wise man.

Bike
    2006 Suzuki DR650 & FZR1000 race bike
    Quote Originally Posted by skidMark View Post
    3. moneywise? how much should i allow for an adventure like this, i assume accomidation will be the killer? anybody able to please offer some advice.

i won't be doing it just yet, but i need to see how viable it is at this stage in my life asi am only 20.

that and i cant save for something unless i have a goal if i know how much i need to save i can do it.

thanks in advance: Mark
    Are you working now? Earning ok? If not have you considered a working holiday. Meet more people, often on site accomodation/food, get to know areas better, experience a different way of life. OK - I imagine the pay for most seasonal or casual work would be lower than a career type job but worth checking out maybe.
    As for the bike tour on any bike at all, why not use what you got...just ride to its abillities as you are not intending to to 1000k a day anyway. I envy you the chance - don't forget to write up your experiences so we can enjoy too!

Bike
    99 RSV Matte Mille, Bus 150 & 121
    Its fine on a 250 Mark... I did it on a Hyobag and had a blast, you can do it on the ZXR I'm sure.
    "If life gives you a shit sandwich..." someone please complete this expression

Bike
    EX500s - Ruby
    There is absolutely nothing worth seeing or doing in HB, and our roads are shit too, so don't bother coming here.
    Diarrhoea is hereditary - it runs in your jeans

If my nose was running money, I'd blow it all on you...

Bike
    Er6n
    Quote Originally Posted by yungatart View Post
    There is absolutely nothing worth seeing or doing in HB, and our roads are shit too, so don't bother coming here.
    Now, now, where is the HB hospitality I have been raving about

Bike
    EX500s - Ruby
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickchick View Post
    Now, now, where is the HB hospitality I have been raving about
    HB is closed that day.....and any other time that SM wants to visit....roadblocks may even be in place....
    Diarrhoea is hereditary - it runs in your jeans

If my nose was running money, I'd blow it all on you...

Bike
    2020 ls650 boulevard
    mark... it is entirely possible on a 250. im planning to one day to cape reinga to bluff and back on the 250 virago.

id allow AT LEAST 2 months, if you want to have a decent look around while doing so. i took 15 days to do the south island... about 4000 odd k i guess. id like longer though, to really look around. stop at the view points, as they are well worth it. take a camera and tons of spare film or memory cards.

south island must dos: arthurs pass, crown range. watch the kea so they dont take off with your gear [keys etc]
    try and plan it around rallies etc [ie, burt munro, ceme circuit, paeroa etc] if thats your kinda thing.
    petrol: i had no trouble getting around on a 200k range tank. fuel is pretty regular down there... most i paid was $191.9 at franz joseph [for 91grade]
    if you are unsure, buy a 5lt container, fill it up at the "last stop" and then try and find a secure way of carrying. i avoided this in the case of an accident.

get some decent bungy cords [i use the red and blue ones from supercheap... nice fat hooks and tons of stretch] and bike cargo nets. [i got 2 spare from an unofficial $2 shop] backpack, saddle bags etc. i would not have been able to do it without top box, saddle bags and back pack. if you are planning to spend a couple of days in towns, id take a pair of sneakers, cos bike boots get fuckin uncomfortable to walk in. also take thermals and other spare clothes. the sth island can get bloody chilly.

most of all, have fun!
    my blog: http://sunsthomasandfriends.weebly.com/index.html

the really happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery when on a detour.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Mark's checklist for The Great NZ Motorcylce Tour:

1. Apply for leave from my job
    2. Have money in the bank (saved from my weekly pay packet)
    3. Check my motorbike actually goes
    4. Phone a friend.

When you can check all 4 of those, you'll be good to go.

Bike
    2020 ls650 boulevard
    what do ya need a friend for? i went solo... much better. nice to be able to do what you like, when you like. also nice to pick up riders along the way for short periods.
    my blog: http://sunsthomasandfriends.weebly.com/index.html

the really happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery when on a detour.

Bike
    . .
    Quote Originally Posted by jrandom View Post
    Of course it's fucking viable. Have a motorcycle, take some time off work, pack a bag and fuck off down the highway. It's what we do. It's not that complicated. Unfortunately, Mark, you're missing two of the more important parts of that equation.

Your road to motorcycle touring nirvana starts here.

And you called me a smarmy git and a cunt. Hypocrite .

Bike
    Scorpio, XL1200N
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthrax View Post
    And you called me a smarmy git and a cunt.
    Doesn't mean I can't be one.

Anyway, you were being smarmy and cuntish to one of my favourite people. Feel free to slap me if skidMark's your best mate...
    kiwibiker is full of love, an disrespect.
    - mikey

Bike
    Sold
    If you ever actually get round to doing this trip you can stay with us if you like. Cheers John.

Thread Information