Page 24 of 37 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: Cook Strait Ferries Megathread

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by sootie View Post
    * bring your own tiedowns is suggested ... ???
    you pay good money per square metre, much more than a car you should get tie downs provided; if let them know

Bike
    1994 Kawasaki ZZR1100
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    you pay good money per square metre, much more than a car you should get tie downs provided; if let them know
    As was commented - if you bring your own, you know they are going to work!

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    There... no searching required... read the thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    2014 DL1000 V-Strom L4, KTM 400 EXC
    Blog Entries

a couple of tie down pictures and ferry instructions

Bike
    2001, Kawasaki KLR650
    I shouldn't admit this but... i was new the the country and made a hasty weekend plan to go over by nelson.... got on the ferry in wellington, some horrible hour like 5am. parked the bike (put the kickstand down) and left it...!

Not sure what I was thinking there.

When I returned to the garage bay in Picton - i found it had been magically tied down by ferry fairies.

Later i realized I packed a tent but no sleeping bag.

It was still a good trip. On future trips I made sure and tie down well - but I always used the provided straps, never a problem. Also I started bringing a sleeping bag.

Bike
    2000 Sprint ST 955i
    The few times i have been on the interislanders tie downs were provided. The last time, 8 months ago, "ship unknown" there were good tie downs and there was a rack for the front wheel to slot into, right next to the stairs. Great service by the ferry guys too.

Bike
    XR200
    The general rule for bikers is to carry your own tie-downs. You may not need them or you may find the ship's ones have been used by other people who boarded before you. Or...you may find tie-downs covered in effluent are not to your taste. Doesn't bother me personally but I grew up on a farm. I notice others are reluctant to pick up wet green straps.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mylodon View Post
    I shouldn't admit this but... i was new the the country and made a hasty weekend plan to go over by nelson.... got on the ferry in wellington, some horrible hour like 5am. parked the bike (put the kickstand down) and left it...!

Not sure what I was thinking there.

When I returned to the garage bay in Picton - i found it had been magically tied down by ferry fairies.

Later i realized I packed a tent but no sleeping bag.

It was still a good trip. On future trips I made sure and tie down well - but I always used the provided straps, never a problem. Also I started bringing a sleeping bag.
    I did similar once ... except nobody tied it down. It was a smooth sailing though ...

In the days when only short lengths of rope were available on the ferries ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Just done the bass straight crossing to tassie and you are not allowed to tie your own bike down for ins purposes. Its great! Just hop off, leave it in gear and go to the bar!
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    Road King
    Blog Entries
    I would not trust the NZ rail staff to know how to tie down a bike properly.

A short while ago they fucked a wheel on my Lotus sticking a big hook through the spoke on the mag wheel. What was even funnier was they touched the damage up with silver paint, (the wheels are a bronze pearl colour) which stuck out like dogs balls.
    Just another leather clad Tinkerbell.
    The Wanker on the Fucking Harley is going for a ride!

Bike
    one that goes
    Quote Originally Posted by rustic101 View Post

Had another bike been beside you your front tie-down would not of looked like that...

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by Flip View Post
    A short while ago they fucked a wheel on my Lotus sticking a big hook through the spoke on the mag wheel. What was even funnier was they touched the damage up with silver paint, (the wheels are a bronze pearl colour) which stuck out like dogs balls.
    I dont think I've ever seen a car tied down, why were they doing it?
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    To stop them rolling around into their freight trains. It scratches their paintwork ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    2002 BMW. R1150RT

Bike on ferry

Nice to hear your comments, Im new to this game, had bikes before but never travelled over on ferry. My concern is this, My bike is large and heavy ( BMW R1150 RT ) Its way more stable on its center stand than it is on the side stand.
    I have the tie downs, and the soft loopy things to go round the frame. BMW warn against tying to handle bars, They are cast aluminium and Im told some have cracked in rough seas ??
    I can get good tying points on the front forks and at the back I can access directly onto the frame, Im just not sure about this side stand thing, The bike weighs 250kg +
    Anyone with a big BMW done this ???
    I could sure use the advice

Bike
    various
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by werwolf View Post
    Nice to hear your comments, Im new to this game, had bikes before but never travelled over on ferry. My concern is this, My bike is large and heavy ( BMW R1150 RT ) Its way more stable on its center stand than it is on the side stand.
    I have the tie downs, and the soft loopy things to go round the frame. BMW warn against tying to handle bars, They are cast aluminium and Im told some have cracked in rough seas ??
    I can get good tying points on the front forks and at the back I can access directly onto the frame, Im just not sure about this side stand thing, The bike weighs 250kg +
    Anyone with a big BMW done this ???
    I could sure use the advice
    I have travelled with BMW K100, K1 + other big bikes. I never tie the bike against the side stand. I use side stand to keep bike standing while I get sorted, but then tighten the tie-downs on both sides so she stands up straight. My logic is this: A side stand is made to carry the bikes weight. Once you tie a bike down and pull against the side stand it puts more pressure on the side stand than it was designed for. You could even brake it (or bend it).

I would not use a centre stand when tying down a bike on a ferry. Same reason as above: If the centre stand would give up your tiedowns would become loose.

My recommendation is to use 2 tiedowns ( but if you want to be really sure use 2 front and 2 rear), front wheel against wheel fitting and rubber block against back wheel. Pull both front ones evenly so bike is hard up against wheel fitting. Then tighten up both rear ones if you use them.

Never had a bike go loose on me.

May the bridges I burn light the way.

Follow Vinny's MX racing on www.mxvinny.com

Thread Information