Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 27353637
Results 541 to 550 of 550

Thread: Cook Strait Ferries Megathread

  1. #541
    Join Date
    24th December 2012 - 21:49
    Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Location
    South Akl
    Posts
    2,259
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulsterkiwi View Post

    Another chap pulled alongside our party, he was going for broke with tiedowns. He had two on the front, two on the back and one over the seat. He had the bike on the centre stand. he cranked so hard on the front straps he pulled the bike off the stand, he was very lucky the whole thing didn't go over.
    Sounds exactly like my experience. I may have been that bloke. Except it would have been January.

    My first ferry trip.
    The centre stand is a small trap when you use tie downs on the front.

    I dont remember tying down the seat.

    It was the water gushing in onto the deck that had me concerned......

    Was a great experience.
    Next time, I will take it easier and put the bike in the correct direction for disembarking.

    Took me 3 goes at tying it down. Got there eventually.

    READ AND UDESTAND

  2. #542
    Join Date
    4th December 2009 - 19:45
    Bike
    I Ride No More
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    278
    Quote Originally Posted by Autech View Post

    So did you ratchet it down to the side stand? I've heard that's not a go as it can snap?

    My plan was to put it on side stand, ratchet right hand side bar as far as it feels comfortable then do the left when I kick the stand up and balance it upright, then put something on the rear wheel.
    I wonder if it's worth bringing a cable tie for the brake lever?
    I wouldn't ratchet a machine down onto the side stand. Others might choose to - that's their choice. [ The VFR has an inter-lock with the side-stand, another reason I've avoided over-stressing the side stand ]

    Have a look at the steps in post #532 above. It should have included "first chock the front wheel".

    If you do the front (with ties angled out and facing forward), then the rear (similar, facing backwards), and they're both nicely tensioned, the machine is not going anywhere. Sideways, or back-forward. Chock the rear as well if you want.

    Cable-tie on the brake lever ? - I've never used one in all the crossings I've done, and the VFR will be a much heavier machine than the R3.

    My 2c worth.

  3. #543
    Join Date
    24th September 2004 - 06:46
    Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Location
    On the road to nowhere...
    Posts
    7,414
    Quote Originally Posted by Autech View Post
    Cheers, as racer I'm fairly experienced with trailering bikes, so I imagine the process is the same. Though they're usually shitty race bikes and not a pretty R3 that belongs to my cousin, so I'll be super anal I think.



    So did you ratchet it down to the side stand? I've heard that's not a go as it can snap?

    My plan was to put it on side stand, ratchet right hand side bar as far as it feels comfortable then do the left when I kick the stand up and balance it upright, then put something on the rear wheel.
    I wonder if it's worth bringing a cable tie for the brake lever?
    No. Just tied the bike front and rear with two tie downs compressing both front and rear suspensions. Each side of the handle bars up front and either over the seat or attached to the rear carrier/pannier frame. Never had a s stde stand snap in 30 plus years of riding. Or any of my old riding buddies.

    It becomes second nature after you have strapped a bike down a few times.

    Some bike just don't have center stands as well.

  4. #544
    Join Date
    9th October 2003 - 11:00
    Bike
    None
    Location
    yes
    Posts
    14,591
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonez View Post

    Some bike just don't have center stands as well.
    You get told off for using the centre stand by the deck hands in the know. Sidestand and tie downs deal with heavy seas way better than a centre stand.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?



  5. #545
    Join Date
    24th September 2004 - 06:46
    Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Location
    On the road to nowhere...
    Posts
    7,414
    Quote Originally Posted by James Deuce View Post
    You get told off for using the centre stand by the deck hands in the know. Sidestand and tie downs deal with heavy seas way better than a centre stand.
    I'd imagine because centre stand puts the bike higher and spread is very narrow and will tend to topple over in heavy seas.

  6. #546
    Join Date
    9th October 2003 - 11:00
    Bike
    None
    Location
    yes
    Posts
    14,591
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonez View Post
    I'd imagine because centre stand puts the bike higher and spread is very narrow and will tend to topple over in heavy seas.
    Precisely. Bit of a bugger when that happens.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?



  7. #547
    Join Date
    24th December 2012 - 21:49
    Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Location
    South Akl
    Posts
    2,259
    Quote Originally Posted by James Deuce View Post
    You get told off for using the centre stand by the deck hands in the know. Sidestand and tie downs deal with heavy seas way better than a centre stand.
    It takes very little forward movement to bring the centrestand over the centre point before it all comes awkward.

    also the bike can slide around on the steel deck, so much fun.

    i applied pressure to the front forks and tightened the straps, they act as a spring.
    same with the rear. Tied them diagonally to try and prevent pitching.
    surprisingly stable.

    needant have worried flat calm

    just needed to chill as the cars were let off first......
    we didn’t want to get run over in the mad rush.
    then over Remutakas and rest.

    READ AND UDESTAND

  8. #548
    Join Date
    16th January 2010 - 17:09
    Bike
    VFR400, Frankenbucket
    Location
    Otorohanga
    Posts
    2,656
    Back home now. Rough crossing (people were throwing up lol) but found the tie down points at wheel chocks were perfect for the task.

    Took 3 tiedowns and did as suggested, one on each fork above the triple clamps and one to the rear threaded through the pillion peg mounts pulling back.
    Left it on the sidestand and cranked it down just not too much so as to not stress the sidestand and frame.
    Also as I was anal I used the loose ends of the tiedowns to tie the wheel chock to the wheel and around the front brake lever. She was fucking solid

    Cheers for the advice homies

    Sent from my SM-A730F using Tapatalk

  9. #549
    Join Date
    28th June 2005 - 19:34
    Bike
    '15 VStrom 650, 1983 BMW R80G/S
    Location
    Flattenedstan
    Posts
    149
    This is not about how to tie your bike down but a comment on the latest Bluebridge offering, the Connemarra and what a disappointment it is in 2 areas. I sailed on it on Sunday 5th November returning to the south island. Passenger comfort - the majority of passengers are seated on some fairly uncomfortable dining chairs in the cafe area and while there are some softer bench seats they are very much in the minority. By the time you tie your bike down you are never going to be in contention to sit there. There are no "airline" type seats. As for facilities for motorcycles there didn't seem to be any other than a few rope tie downs, the usual rubber chocks and some storage boxes tipped on their sides that you put your helmet in. Given the conditions experienced in Cook Strait i can only hope BB are working on providing more secure motorcycle stowage. I have always caught a ferry based on what time was convenient for me not really caring what boat it was but will be avoiding the Connemara next time i head north.
    To anyone that ever told you you’re no good… They’re no better.

  10. #550
    Join Date
    4th October 2008 - 16:35
    Bike
    R100GSPD
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    10,022
    Quote Originally Posted by NiggleC View Post
    This is not about how to tie your bike down but a comment on the latest Bluebridge offering, the Connemarra and what a disappointment it is in 2 areas. I sailed on it on Sunday 5th November returning to the south island. Passenger comfort - the majority of passengers are seated on some fairly uncomfortable dining chairs in the cafe area and while there are some softer bench seats they are very much in the minority. By the time you tie your bike down you are never going to be in contention to sit there. There are no "airline" type seats. As for facilities for motorcycles there didn't seem to be any other than a few rope tie downs, the usual rubber chocks and some storage boxes tipped on their sides that you put your helmet in. Given the conditions experienced in Cook Strait i can only hope BB are working on providing more secure motorcycle stowage. I have always caught a ferry based on what time was convenient for me not really caring what boat it was but will be avoiding the Connemara next time i head north.
    take your own tie downs.If you dont need them they dont take up much room,but if you do you have peace of mind

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •