Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: US tour, got any tips?

Bike
    GN250!!!!

Thanks mate

Thought it looked a bit odd but hey ho.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher View Post
    Mwuahahahaha! Spawn. Tee hee hee hee hee...
    We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year,
    Running over the same old ground.
    What have you found? The same old fears.
    Wish you were here. QWQ

Bike
    GN250!!!!

Clinton

I am taking the 5th!!

Quote Originally Posted by jafar View Post
    Details
    We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year,
    Running over the same old ground.
    What have you found? The same old fears.
    Wish you were here. QWQ

Bike
    07 DL650 / 07 DR650 / 2011 DL650

US riding - GPS and gas can

Have just spent 3 months in the states. Unfortunately I didn't get over to the east coast and now down in Mexico slowly heading south. My advice would be add a gps to your bike, a great addition in the states. I have a zumo and city navigator for the US and when coming into a town at night, just do a search for motels and up they come. Motels range from $30 US plus. Generally in an area of a town with the likes of Best Western, Howard Johnson etc there will be cheap motels for a 3rd of the price. No best Western etc and the motels are 20 bucks more. Get a gas can as in the mid west it can be a long way between gas stations. Ran out of gas myself, but a friendly rancher gave me a couple of litres to get to a town. Not all towns have gas, it could be up to 180km between stations. The mid west is boring to ride, long straight roads. You see a wheat field and 200 mile down the road it is the same wheat field. Riding through Washington state, Oregon and California great riding. Beautiful scenery. Learn to be patient as many roads can be no passing for many miles and if you get behind a RV you can be there forever. Enjoy the ride and legal speeds up to 80mph. Generally stay within 5mph of the speed limit on the open and you are fine. If a school bus is stopped letting off kids, all traffic must stop. Enjoy the ride it is nice to open up and go and go.

Bike
    06 trumpy 675, 98 monster
    I did a coast to coast trip couple of years bak, mostly rental cars tho.
    The route north from denver thru to boulder and onto estes park is great! lots of nice rides round vail etc, off the big freeways.
    Texas is flat as a turd and make sure you fill up at the start of alligator alley on your way to miami. She is hicksville thru there!
    Im so jealous. Have fun.

Bike
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by alley cat View Post
    Texas is flat as a turd
    Only in most parts. Apparently south-west Texas has some very nice hill country with good cruising roads.

Sever
    Now and forever
    you're just another lost soul about to be mine again
    see her, you'll never free her
    you must surrender it all
    And give life to me again
    Disturbed - Inside the Fire

Bike
    Triumph Tiger

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Waylander View Post
    Only in most parts. Apparently south-west Texas has some very nice hill country with good cruising roads.
    Yes they do, and I will be heading through most of it apparently.
    I can't wait to get over there and get started!
    Thanks SP, I am looking at what unit to go for at present, cheers for the tips.

"If you can't laugh at yourself, you're just not paying attention!"
    "There is no limit to dumb."

"Resolve to live with all your might while you do live, and as you shall wish you had done ten thousand years hence."

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Just a suggestion for the first part of your trip- head directly south very, very early on a Sunday morning from San Francisco, down through Big Sur on the amazing twisties, through Santa Barbara, then turn left as soon as you see the sign for Mulholland Highway. Follow that road for 20 miles or so until you come to a roadside shack called the Rock Store, where you will encounter one of the most amazing gatherings of 2-wheeled finery you'll ever see in your life. Have brunch, then find your way to the LA Crest Highway (about 30 miles east) and on through the Los Angeles National Forest to Death Valley.

In general all the folk you're likely to come across will be very friendly (though not by NZ standards) but as much as I hate to say it they're probably better drivers and are more likely to display their machismo with a large slow-moving gas-guzzling ute than a large-piped misfiring Subaru on the wrong side of the road.

Have a great trip- it won't be hard.

Bike
    07 DL650 / 07 DR650 / 2011 DL650

Dreaming of the USA

Mack just a quick add on before I get kicked off the computer. Yes I'm still over in the Americas. At the mo in Mexico but about to head into Belize and beyond.
    A couple more points for the States. Oil changes. I don't know what interval your bike is but mine at 6k came round pretty quick. I found that many of the bike shops are out of town a few mile and in many cases not overly helpful. I generally would find a small country garage and would buy oil from him and use his oil pan and change the oil myself. That way he got something out of the deal. I always carried a change of oil so it was no problem if he did not have the oil.
    Watch out for tar snakes. I was surprised what poor conditions many of the roads are in. Tar snakes being where they have repaired a crack and left a dip. in many cases the crack (up to 75mm wide) was often still there. wonderful if dropping into a corner and the front tire dropped into one. Just keep aware.
    Roadkill. Depending where you are there are lots of raccoons, skunks and deer on the sides of the road. Sometimes still in the middle, but generally removed to the side. Skunks are not that, big to cause any problem, if you run over one, other than you smell them 100m away. Raccoon being a tad bigger than a possum could add a bit of fun. Deer well that could cause a headache. I generally stopped riding about 4 and began looking for a hotel as the deer are usually morning and evening. They do have signs warning of deer etc but riding through Colorado Wyoming and other more country areas there were a lot on the road side.
    Your most probably a better rider than I but i just about got caught out at one stage. Was on the interstate doing about 140 150kph following a couple of big rigs. One pulled out to pass another and I followed him, well when he got just ahead of the first one the wind off his rig was hitting the second and me being alongside him I was getting a real pelting. My bike started weaving and bucking, but fortunately it ended well. So the short of it is let the truck pass and pull back in before you pass.
    Enjoy the trip. It is great just watching the road snake out before you and you know that you will be following it for some time.

Bike
    2002 Bandit 1200s
    Quote Originally Posted by Macktheknife View Post
    So I am off to the States this March for a bit of a ride, and I know many of you have done similar things, so hearing some of your experiences and advice could be really helpful.

The trip will begin and end in Seattle, a friend and I will be riding south to meet up with another mate in San Francisco, then on to Las Vegas and Death Valley then on to Texas and across the southern states to Miami, then up the coast to New York. From there I hope to carry on to the great lakes and down as far as Colorado and follow the Rockies up to Seattle and fly home again.

If any of you have any relevant points of interest or hints and tips then I would really welcome it.
    I am especially interested in insurance info or specific routes to take (or avoid). I will try to post a map of the proposed route for interests sake later.
    Cheers all,
    Mack
    TAKE ME WITH YOU!!!!!! that is all the thoughts i have for your trip..... jealous as hell!!! Have a blast babe
    "Some people say that one's personality is reflected by the way they ride their bike........I’m screwed"

Bike
    Triumph Tiger

Talking See if this works

This should be the map of the rest of the tour, from New York to Seattle. About 4,500 miles.

All subject to change and emergencies of course.
    Attached Files Attached Files

"Resolve to live with all your might while you do live, and as you shall wish you had done ten thousand years hence."

Bike
    CBR1000RR
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Waylander View Post
    Oh hell yes it does... I can testify to that personally (the "hill country" - although I only saw it from a car).

Lots of nice places to go, things to do and see. Just watch your "accent" Mack - it makes you exotic is the locals in the South love it... don't say I didn't warn you (being hit on by a cheer leader... 25??? ... in an Austin piano bar is VERY good for the ego. For some reason I don't recall telling my wife about that...)
    $2,000 cash if you find a buyer for my house, kumeuhouseforsale@straightshooters.co.nz for details

Bike
    Sold
    Cornishman Keith Hooper, who was over in NZ last year has done a your of the USA and his blogs are here:

http://keithoops2.blogspot.com/

http://keithoops3.blogspot.com/

Some excellent material for anyone thinking of going.

Bike
    Triumph Tiger
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Cornishman Keith Hooper, who was over in NZ last year has done a your of the USA and his blogs are here:
    Actually Keith and I will be riding together for at least some of the time, lovely guy.

6 weeks to go!

Bike
    2002 Bandit 1200s
    Quote Originally Posted by Macktheknife View Post
    6 weeks to go!
    Oh shut up!!!
    "Some people say that one's personality is reflected by the way they ride their bike........I’m screwed"

Bike
    Suzuki VL1500LC Intruder
    Before you go, you might visit these ...

http://www.visi.com/~dalebor/index.html#contents

http://www.biker-crossroads.com/moto...nning_map.html

YMMV

Have a great time...

Thread Information