Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Countersteering

Bike
    Triumph Speed Four
    Quote Originally Posted by ArcherWC View Post
    I want to know how people get around without counterstearing, it should just come naturally to anyone on two wheels
    Doesn't always when you're learning...not automatically anyway! Once again, when you're a true newbie to bike riding, there is heaps of various moves that need to be coordinated together (weight on/off pegs, arse moving or not on the seat, where your upper body needs to be, where you're supposed to look...and the list goes on)

I am so sick of you all-knowing bloody biking geniuses mocking us poor little learners

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    Time to cut out the "holier/more enlightened than thou" bullshit and the "slut" comments and let people live honestly how they like providing they're not harming themselves or others in the process.

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    Quote Originally Posted by 007XX View Post
    I am so sick of you all-knowing bloody biking geniuses mocking us poor little learners
    Oh, we're not mocking...perhaps grinning slightly in remembrance of when we used to fuck up too...
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    GSX-R 750
    I want to know how people get around without counterstearing, it should just come naturally to anyone on two wheels
    They dont (they couldnt)... Its natural to apply the basic principal, but I think you have to be consious of it to pick up on the mechanics etc etc of it to be able to apply it consitently, appropriately and effectively (did they all just say the same thing ???)... Your so busy choking on ya nuts (sorry gals) when you first start riding theres no time for your brain to register what forces the body is applying to the bars...

Bike
    Triumph Speed Four
    Quote Originally Posted by MSTRS View Post
    Oh, we're not mocking...perhaps grinning slightly in remembrance of when we used to fuck up too...
    Why you condescending old bugger I will have you know I don't fuck up Mister...I gently lay in total confusion and curfuffle

But back on topic...I have really found that countersteering helped when on the track at Puke.
    But, it is not the sole action of countersteering which helped me on the day.

I guess what my point is, is that it is awesome trying to teach the newbies about such a fantastic technique, but how about trying to explain how it might link with other techniques?

I know this is easier said than done in writing and why training days are essential, but I just thought I'd put my 2 cents worth as a newbie.

Riding a bike is about a sequence of moves, so practicing them all is important. Highlighting one in particular always made me think this was the "fix it all" move which would make me a fantastic rider : Tui anyone?
    Time to cut out the "holier/more enlightened than thou" bullshit and the "slut" comments and let people live honestly how they like providing they're not harming themselves or others in the process.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Four
    Quote Originally Posted by Luckylegs View Post
    They dont (they couldnt)... Its natural to apply the basic principal, but I think you have to be consious of it to pick up on the mechanics etc etc of it to be able to apply it consitently, appropriately and effectively (did they all just say the same thing ???)... Your so busy choking on ya nuts (sorry gals) when you first start riding theres no time for your brain to register what forces the body is applying to the bars...
    Exactly what I was trying to say...except for the nuts part of course (I ain't no friggin' chipmunk )

Bike
    Honda PC800
    007 Hearin ya but I think its kinda like karate kid--wax on wax off.
    Isolate individual things then put them together as a package
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    Triumph Speed Four
    Quote Originally Posted by FROSTY View Post
    007 Hearin ya but I think its kinda like karate kid--wax on wax off.
    Isolate individual things then put them together as a package
    I won't argue cos I respect your wealth of knowledge Frosty...

Bike
    Nada

eek

I won't argue ...
    someone please note the time and date...this'll be a one off!

Bike
    GSX-R 750
    I won't argue cos I respect your wealth of knowledge Frosty...
    That was my point before though, and the crux (I think) od what 007xx is saying (eek i meant those chromosones to be upper case), sothing like countersteering is nigh on impossible if ya elbows are locked and you welded your gloves to the grips through holding on sooooo hard...

Guess that means that you need to attack the individual parts ion a sensible order as well

Bike
    Tbird
    most ppl counter steer with out knowing it it used to be called going round the corner

Bike
    Massey ferguson 7495 dyna-vt
    Yep...your completely right!!
    you can not make a motorcycle go around a corner at speed without counter steering...this is physically impossible...whether your aware of doing it...or not...all motorcyclists counter steer.

Doesn't always when you're learning...not automatically anyway! Once again, when you're a true newbie to bike riding, there is heaps of various moves that need to be coordinated together (weight on/off pegs, arse moving or not on the seat, where your upper body needs to be, where you're supposed to look...and the list goes on)

Becoming aware of what it is that makes your bike do what you want..or do what it does..is all part of learning..and people will always tease the learners a bit..it happened to them..

But...the chances of getting teased are greatly reduced in the case of women wearing reveiling clothing
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Given the short comings of my riding style, it doesn't matter what I'm riding till I've got my shit in one sock.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Four
    Quote Originally Posted by DMNTD View Post
    someone please note the time and date...this'll be a one off!
    You'll keep, you won't be chortling so much when I get you!

Quote Originally Posted by Luckylegs View Post
    That was my point before though, and the crux (I think) od what 007xx is saying (eek i meant those chromosones to be upper case), sothing like countersteering is nigh on impossible if ya elbows are locked and you welded your gloves to the grips through holding on sooooo hard...

Guess that means that you need to attack the individual parts ion a sensible order as well
    Yes exactly...*and good spotting on the chromosomes. You'd be amazed how many people think it is something else*

Until DMNTD helped me, no one had really explained in an organised manner how to use the various tricks together, and so was left flundering in the dark as to how to put everything together...wasn't that succesful at it either . It makes it a longer and more painful process for some of us who are a bit slow on the uptake

Bike
    Scorpio, XL1200N
    Quote Originally Posted by cowpoos View Post
    you can not make a motorcycle go around a corner at speed without counter steering...this is physically impossible...
    Yesterday, I turned right into the street I live in, doing about 20kph.

All the way through the turn, my steering head was turned in the direction I was going, rotated a good 10-20 degrees to the right!

I guess this means that the laws of physics are temporarily suspended in Devonport on Thursday nights.

Wow. I'll reckon I'll be giving the ATNR a miss next week and using that window of opportunity to build a cold fusion reactor in the bathroom instead.
    kiwibiker is full of love, an disrespect.
    - mikey

Bike
    Triumph Speed Four
    Yep...your completely right!!
    you can not make a motorcycle go around a corner at speed without counter steering...this is physically impossible...whether your aware of doing it...or not...all motorcyclists counter steer.
    Hence the fact that some are still dangerous and bin in corners at speed
    But you're right, you can't go at speed around a corner without countersteering, and this was partly why I was always going slower than I should have been: I didn't know exactly when and how much countersteering I should use, and also where to put my weight, etc

But...the chances of getting teased are greatly reduced in the case of women wearing reveiling clothing
    Ya can't be talking about me cos I'm an ATGATT girl through and through

Bike
    EXC300 - NSR250 MC28 - CRF250X - TXT300
    Anyone not already countersteering should put there trainer wheels back on before they crash

Thread Information