Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Countersteering

Bike
    Comin soon!

Counter-steering?

How do you counter-steer for a corner? Do you lean first in the direction you want to turn then push on the handle bars in the opposite direction or is it vice-versa. Must one overcome the fear of falling from grace or just put some balls on and go. How low can you lean, how low should you lean.
    Is it best to hang off the bike when you lean into a corner?

Hmmm

Bike
    Zilch
    Counter-steering is automatic at speeds of over 20kms or so. It's those laws of gravity and physics that do it. It is impossible to go around a corner over 20kms or so without counter-steering.

There was a huge thread about this a while back. Can't remember what it was called.

Peace hath higher tests of manhood

than battle ever knew.

Bike
    Aprilia RS250
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbo Bong
    How do you counter-steer for a corner? Do you lean first in the direction you want to turn then push on the handle bars in the opposite direction or is it vice-versa. Must one overcome the fear of falling from grace or just put some balls on and go. How low can you lean, how low should you lean.
    Is it best to hang off the bike when you lean into a corner?

Hmmm
    As mentioned the counteering this is very subconscious, you do it without even realising it. It just becomes instinctive really. As far as leaning goes, it depends on many variables - corner, surface, bike, tyres, you and so on. As for hanging far off the bike in the corner, I've personally found this pretty counter-productive at times. Unless your really need to hang off a smoother more controlled line without any of the flashy hanging off can be just as fast and even faster.

Bike
    4K006RXSG
    Go 100 clicks into a 50k corner. You'll pick it up from there
    Because I can...

Get sideways - then you're doin' it,not just pretending.
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    fire breathin ginja ninja
    leaning off the bike allows you to take corners faster than you would being sat on the bike. It's all about the centre of gravity (cog) in relation to everything else. By leaning off the bike into the corner, you are able to let the bike ride a little more upright (which would make you run off the corner), so you then lean off the bike to bring it round a corner. Might be a little hard to explain. First off, it's not something you need to know to be able to ride. It'll come with time and experience like everything else. One way to understand the basics of COG etc, could be to try this - going in a straight line, lean off the bike, and at the same time, you lean the bike out the other way. The bike is then leaning over (as if in a corner the opposite way) while you're leaning to counter-act/change the COG and make it go straight. You've then got more lean/grip on that side you're leaning off. Obviously, you lean off the other side to turn the other corners!
    The end result, means thru a corner, you have more tyre surface making contact with the road, which is giving you more grip, thus more speed thru a corner, but it's not heaps, and isn't necessary for normal road riding. If you get onto a track, try it there..

The counter-steering, it'll just happen without you even knowing..

Bike
    None any more
    Use the most excellent "search" facility to check out all of the old offerings on countersteering.

I am amazed as to how many motorcyclists are unaware of this phenomenum. Demonstrate it to yourself at low speeds by pushing forwards on each grip in turn and observing how the bike turns in the direction you're pushing. This is countersteering at its simplest. The actual physics themselves are more complicated to explain. So I won't. Use this technique to practice weaving amongst catseyes on the road (when you've got no oncoming traffic, otherwise you may put the shits up a few cagers). Start at about 30kmh and increase your speed steadily as you gain confidence.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher
    Use the most excellent "search" facility to check out all of the old offerings on countersteering.

I am amazed as to how many motorcyclists are unaware of this phenomenum. .
    A few on KB at the mo. Seems getting one knee down is
    more important than learning to counter steer properly these days.

Bike
    Katana 750, VOR 450 Enduro
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonez
    Seems getting one knee down is
    more important than learning to counter steer properly these days.
    Some of the fastest and best riders ever never got off their seat at all.
    And I to my motorcycle parked like the soul of the junkyard. Restored, a bicycle fleshed with power, and tore off. Up Highway 106 continually drunk on the wind in my mouth. Wringing the handlebar for speed, wild to be wreckage forever.

- James Dickey, Cherrylog Road.

Bike
    Sniff... None
    Quote Originally Posted by riffer
    Some of the fastest and best riders ever never got off their seat at all.
    I think you're confusing outright speed with looking good. It's soooo much cooler to hang off the bike. And we all know that "cool" adds 30km/h to any cornering speed.
    "You, Madboy, are the Uncooked Pork Sausage of Sausage Beasts. With extra herbs."
    - Jim2 c2006

Bike
    4K006RXSG
    Quote Originally Posted by madboy
    I think you're confusing outright speed with looking good. It's soooo much cooler to hang off the bike. And we all know that "cool" adds 30km/h to any cornering speed.
    Haha, Yeh that and telling your mates after a beer or 7, that'll add another 20kph
    Because I can...

Bike
    Comin soon!
    Cheers. Not worried about looking good hanging on the corners etc..
    More interested in why rather than how.

Ahh she'll be right mate, she'll be right.

Bike
    BMW R65LS, part time R75 old fart rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher
    I am amazed as to how many motorcyclists are unaware of this phenomenum.

Is this correct english, or is it brain fade? I always thought it was a phenomenon?
    Queiro voya todo Europa con mi moto.... pero no tengo suficiente tiempo o dinero.....

Bike
    Speed Triple - in bogan black
    i always get worried when hearing learnrs talkn bout countersteer. they get confused worring bout it and fall off... its natural. if you feel the need, on a good winding road you know well... go a LITTLE faster than usal and push a little more than you normall would on the bars. This will cause you to lean further, the desired effect. To demonstrate to urself, ride on straight road and swerve around an amaginary object then back to your own line. Good luck and keep the shiny side up
    There is no dark side of the moon, really, as a matter of fact. Its all dark...

Bike
    None any more
    Quote Originally Posted by Posh Tourer :P
    Is this correct english, or is it brain fade? I always thought it was a phenomenon?
    It's always nice to see that somebody around here is awake!
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Thread Information