Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Screens on Cruisers - Yay or Nay?

Bike
    Hornetto - No Boring Bits!, KDX200

Screens on Cruisers - Yay or Nay?

This is a debate that still rages in my mind...

Personally, i'm not so sure i like the the look of screens on a cruiser. i love the whole open front end thing cruisers without them have got going on, but i can appreciate they no doubt have their up sides as well.

So my question to those who have screens (or even better, those who have ridden both with and without) how much difference do they really make?

Personally, i'm quite happy doing 110 on the GN out in the open air, and she's a very upright ride for me (at 6'2", i'm sittin well back and upright, i ride her like a cruiser). I dont find the wind noise too bad (my helmet and collar seem to block out most of it), but might consider plugs for real long drags on the open rd. I dont find the wind buffets me too much, but i am aware it's there.
    There's a guy at my old work who had an S83, and he reckoned he just couldn't get over about 135, coz he was being physically ripped off the bars (then again, he was a scrawny little fulla ). Is this sort of thing a real problem, or does he just need to eat some more pies and hit the gym?

The other thing people rave about them for is rain. I can understand it'd stop a lot of the rain gettin ya while you're movin at a fair pace, but how does it affect visibility? I'm guessing it would just be like another visor between your eyes and the road, or do you actually tend to see over the top of them?

Sorry if these sound like the dumbest question since "Which way is up again?" Still learning about those wonderful things we call cruisers
    Hopefully wont be too much longer till i can get my baby!
    IT'S PEANUT BUTTER JELLY TIME!!!
    Do the peanut butter jelly, peanut butter jelly, peanut butter jelly with a baseball bat!

Bike
    2007 CB900
    Wouldn't think you need a screen on a GN ... I had a 500 and the screen made a huge difference .... I did not get buffeted nearly as much ... which meant less pain in the shoulders from holding on looks wise . my cruiser looked awesome ..ask Sunhuntin .. she bought it!

Bike
    none
    Just don't go overboard and get one of those huge things that block all wind from head to toe.

A small one usually works fine and doesn't look half bad.

Sever
    Now and forever
    you're just another lost soul about to be mine again
    see her, you'll never free her
    you must surrender it all
    And give life to me again
    Disturbed - Inside the Fire

Bike
    nooooonono... NOT planning on putting a screen on the ginny.
    Looking around for my next big shiny cruiser babe, and trying to decide if a screen is something i wont to go for or not.
    Never ridden a bike with a screen, nor upward of about 110kph (the ol ginny cries when i make her try), so not sure how advantageous they are is all
    Do the peanut butter jelly, peanut butter jelly, peanut butter jelly with a baseball bat!

Bike
    Soursaki
    A small givi type screen that comes up as high (an on an angle) as your chest will work well on the GN (not that you are putting one on it of course). I looked at getting one but never made the trip up to Silverdale where a shop has a few ($100-150). Works well on the GPX, with its small screen. A lot warmer in winter but not a lot of difference for noise.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by HTFU View Post
    A small givi type screen that comes up as high (an on an angle) as your chest will work well on the GN. I looked at getting one but never made the trip up to Silverdale where a shop has a few ($100-150). Works well on the GPX, with its small screen. A lot warmer in winter but not a lot of difference for noise.
    Thanks, but not lookin to add one to the ginny. Probly should've made that clearer Have seen a few GN's around with them on, and i struggle not to fall over laughin. My ginny is mainly used round town anyways, not doing a heapload of touring til i get me a bigger bike

Bike
    None any more
    Look? Schmook.

There are cruiser owners and cruiser riders. Cruiser owners are big on looks and shit-loads of shiny chrome. They don't own wet-weather gear and wear fingerless-gloves and Johnnie Rebs because they never take their bikes out in the rain or in seasons other than summer.

Cruiser riders, on the other hand, go riding. They understand the benefits of weather protection and comfort for rides longer than a half-hour blat with the missus for a latte and fag.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher View Post
    Look? Schmook.

There are cruiser owners and cruiser riders. Cruiser owners are big on looks and shit-loads of shiny chrome. They don't own wet-weather gear and wear fingerless-gloves and Johnnie Rebs because they never take their bikes out in the rain or in seasons other than summer.

Cruiser riders, on the other hand, go riding. They understand the benefits of weather protection and comfort for rides longer than a half-hour blat with the missus for a latte and fag.
    Indeed, but hard men ride in the rain with no screen, no gloves, white singlet, and black stubbies Did someone say something about tassles?

I ride in the pissing rain on a ginny (even when she still had the plastic tires), so weather aint gonna stop me. And yes, looks are a part of it. Hell, if i didnt care what my bike looked like, i'd go ride a gixxer

In my (very limited) riding experience, i just havent found the real need for a screen. There's been times where it might've been nice to have one, but i'm a big boy, i can handle a little moistness... oops, well, you know what i mean...

Bike
    Suzuki Marauder VZ800
    I vote nay. 'Cos I think they usually look shite. Don't have any comparative experience to back this up with though, so feel free to discount me completely... Also I don't find the need to go over 135 much, haven't been ripped off the bars by the howling gales yet. Rain is no problem - ya get wet. Duh!

And despite basing this on looks, I'm a cruiser rider, not just an owner.
    Redefining slow since 2006...

Bike
    Yamaha FZX 750 - Mini Vmax
    I say nay because they slow my wee 250 down bugger loads.. you yourself are not so affected by the end but going into head on wind is bloody painful.

Admittedly they are pretty good for the rain because you don't need the thing covering your entire body, the pushing force pushes the rain up and around you. But yeah.. still say nay.. maybe on a bigger cruiser in the winter.

Bike
    '02 VN1500 Meanie
    Nope. No screen on my bike. Don't want one either.

Are you taking any prescription medication? [Rain Man]

Bike
    All of them
    screens suck. all they do is add noise and buffeting and detract from the handling and looks of the bike.

the weather protection lasts 5 minutes in NZ rain and you cant go fast enough on the open road to make them worthwhile any more.

Fine if you are going to do 140 everywhere. How long does that last?

HTFU and get some aerodynamic gear and enjoy 110.

BTW - I wear johnny rebs and I've ridden through more shitholes than most of you.

Bike
    750 auw
    Do doo de de do do
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chips.gif 
Views:	39 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	85513   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ponch.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	35.0 KB 
ID:	85514  

Bike
    Speed Triple
    Speeds of 140 are fine without a screen.

160 is getting right up there, 200Km/h at short bursts.

Though a real man would have a big set up apes and neck muscles made of steel.

In a strong head wind any speed can be hard work.

It maybe different for girly men.

Bike
    kawasaki vn800, gpx600r
    no i dont like screens i wont put one on my cruiser i think they make the bike look like my nana owns it, i think part of riding a cruiser is the feeling of the wind and the noise from the throbbing beat of the Vtwin
    I cannot put my finger on it now, the child has grown the dream has gone

there'll be no more aaarrrrrggghhhhh but you may feel a little sick

Thread Information