Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Screens on Cruisers - Yay or Nay?

Bike
    2013 lil red tractor
    I have a small Givi screen on my VT750 C2 - keeps a bit of the wind off, but does slow ya down a little. Still get wet in the pissing rain, but that's why I have the wet weather gear
    Doesn't look too bad, imho, but whatever floats your boat I guess - they're not for everyone. I like mine

A few pics here:
    http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/photopost.../14186/cat/500
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Bike
    All of them
    Quote Originally Posted by Headbanger View Post

It maybe different for girly men.
    my new kit & screen for adventure riding
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screena.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	85550  

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    my new kit & screen for adventure riding
    You look, um, a lot different than I expected. Guess you shouldn't read too much into user names.

Bike
    All of them
    Quote Originally Posted by turtleman View Post
    I have a small Givi screen on my VT750 C2 -
    Yeah - my bike has a small screen that I keep on for the looks. But i painted it to look like the bodywork.

Small is the operative word. There is an optimum height - but it is infinitely variable - and when they are bad they are very bad.

I had the Triumph tiger with the tall screen recently - the turbulence hit exactly under my helmet and made it a dead-set miserable ride at touring speeds on a brilliant bike. Standard plastic and it's superb.

C90T - couldn't open my visor at 110kph - Ed thought it was great.

My Triumph Trophy was the noisiest bike I've ever ridden till I changed the screen.

I can cite a dozen more examples.

I just think they are false economy.

I do Akl - Wgtn in a day on the Buell and it's just as easy as on the Trophy
    Small is good.

Bike
    black thing
    Blog Entries
    Depends on whether you are a real cruising/tourer or just a short blat cruiser to the dairy cruiser, Personally I love the screen when doing longish cruise or tour, I get where Im going as fresh and relaxed as I was when I left, Take the screen off and after 500-800kms of solid riding into winds or at speed and my arms have stretched 3 inches and knuckles now hit the ground. Behind the screen I can cruise at any speed I like with no weight on my chest or arms. I do on rare occassion remove it when doing a decent clean and will gfo for a short blat without, Once you have it, it looks odd without it actually..

Bike
    All of them
    Quote Originally Posted by onearmedbandit View Post
    You look, um, a lot different than I expected. Guess you shouldn't read too much into user names.
    Kiwi rider out tomorrow has some of my 'other' looks.

Road Warrior! aka - Mad Dave.

Name:	streetbob_dc_aa.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	191.1 KB 
ID:	85551   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	warrior.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	160.2 KB 
ID:	85552  

Bike
    07 Fatboy,09 X Bones
    Very nice streetbob there !!!!!!!!!!! but do ya like it with the windshield.

Yeah never had a windscreen on any of the bikes. Long trips I guess they be a good idea specially traveling in a group help keep the stones and bugs off ya as well as protect you a bit from the elements. Like ya said they just look a tad off !!

Name:	black streetbob.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	64.8 KB 
ID:	85599   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	street bob.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	85600   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	windsheild.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	38.1 KB 
ID:	85604  
    I try to take it one day at a time but sometimes several days attack at once

Bike
    Tbird
    been thinking about a small screen on mine under 80 mph its fine over and i need to hunch a bit to get under the wind off the speedo/revcounter.

Bike
    2005 Suzuki Boulevard C50T
    I've always had bikes without screens untill I bought the C50T.

I used to love not having a screen but now I probally wouldn't go back.

I guess it comes down to personal choice.
    Arguing with an Engineer is like wrestling a pig in mud.

After a while you realise the pig is enjoying it.

Bike
    Rocket Surgery, Teutonic Tourer
    Blog Entries
    I don't have a problem with people not liking them, personally I love that big touring look. HD Ultra Classic = sex on a stick, personally.

I also like the look of Goldwings. Perhaps it's a form of sickness?

Bike
    Hornetto - No Boring Bits!, KDX200
    Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    Definitely... Seek professional help...
    IT'S PEANUT BUTTER JELLY TIME!!!
    Do the peanut butter jelly, peanut butter jelly, peanut butter jelly with a baseball bat!

Bike
    Suzuki VL1500LC Intruder
    I don't have a problem with people not liking them, personally I love that big touring look.
    I've got one and I remove it in hot dry weather to keep cooool. I put it back on today 'cause it was raining, and it stops most of the rain. Likewise, I don't care what anyone else thinks - it's my bike and me riding.

Bike
    Suzuki VL1500LC Intruder
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyflash View Post
    Depends on whether you are a real cruising/tourer or just a short blat cruiser to the dairy cruiser, Personally I love the screen when doing longish cruise or tour, I get where Im going as fresh and relaxed as I was when I left, Take the screen off and after 500-800kms of solid riding into winds or at speed and my arms have stretched 3 inches and knuckles now hit the ground. Behind the screen I can cruise at any speed I like with no weight on my chest or arms. I do on rare occassion remove it when doing a decent clean and will gfo for a short blat without, Once you have it, it looks odd without it actually..
    Well put JF - but didn't know you could ride that beast for 500-800 kms without the screen on one tankful.

Bike
    750 auw
    I don't have a problem with people not liking them, personally I love that big touring look. HD Ultra Classic = sex on a stick, personally.

Yep very sick.

But seriously people have their own taste and preference. If anyone has a problem with *your* ride then it is just that, their problem.

Bike
    97 Yamaha Virago
    I ride my virago without a screen...... I don't mind the wind hitting me full force. I am just used to it.

Now I did borrow a screen off scorpygirl's virago for about 3 weeks about 18 months ago. It is one of those screens that you attach onto the bike.
    I tried it at different heights over those weeks, in the rain, the wind out on the open roads and in the city.

What did I find: yes I didn't get wet on my front, but my arms still did get wet.
    It did keep the wind off my front, BUT my head took the full force and it caused my helmet to get shaken around a lot more (no matter what height I had the screen at).
    Open road: Going around the bends it seemed to catch the bike a heck of a lot more on the side of the bike than normal and it pushed the bike all over the road. I found that I wasn't comfortable with that.

So after the 3 weeks I took it back to scorpygirl and it went back onto her bike. She has ridden with a screen since day one and likes it.

It was a good experiment for me....... as I had always wanted to try one out, but wasn't prepared to spend a heap of dollars and then find out it wasn't for me.

Maybe its because I had never ridden any bikes from the start with a screen.
    I'm thinking if its all you know then you wont change. I tried..... and yep I feel that trying a screen out for those weeks was a good go.

Some screens are in-built on the bike so maybe they handle different than one that is attached to it by clips etc. Maybe the way the wind travels up and over the bike on in-built screens make a better difference.... I don't know.

If you are thinking of attaching a screen to your bike.... find someone who will let you borrow theirs, from their bike for a few weeks before spending out big $$$$ on one.

Thread Information