Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: I'm from Canada. Should I move to New Zealand?

Bike
    03 SV1000S,SV650S,82 KZ750FX2,92 ZR750
    re the weather in Auckland - these are the facts

Climate
    Auckland is one of the sunniest spots in the country, with annual sunshine hours of 2060. It also has a high rainfall, which ensures the lushness of its rainforests, with a mean annual rainfall of 1240mm.

Summer is from December to February, Autumn or Fall is from March to May, Winter is from June to August and Spring is from September to November.

Mean Daily Maximum Temperature (Celsius/Fahrenheit):

January – 23.3/73.9
    February – 23.7/74.7
    March – 22.4/72.3
    April – 20/68
    May – 17.4/63.3
    June – 15.2/59.4
    July – 14.5/58.1
    August – 15/59
    September – 16.2/61.2
    October – 17.8/64
    November – 19.6/67.3
    December – 21.6/70.9

Source: National Institute of Water and Atmospheric Research, www.niwascience.co.nz.

Vancouver weather .. see below

Weather is a big topic in Vancouver and if people associate one thing with the city, it is usually rain. It does rain in Vancouver, but you'll see from the information below that it doesn't really rain all that much in Vancouver. And Vancouver makes up for the rain by greeting summer visitors with more than 16 hours of glorious daylight every day.

Even in winter, when some outsiders think the sun never rises above the horizon and Vancouverites wear animal skins and live in igloos, Vancouver has more than 8 hours of daylight and mild days and nights.

Hours of Daylight by Month
    Month Hours of Daylight
    January 1 8:17
    February 1 9:25
    March 1 11:00
    April 1 12:53
    May 1 14:36
    June 1 15:57
    July 1 16:10
    August 1 15:08
    September 1 13:28
    October 1 11:40
    November 1 9:52
    December 1 8:29

Vancouver's Average Monthly High Temperatures:
    Month Average High Temps: C/F
    January 5/41
    February 7/44
    March 10/50
    April 14/58
    May 18/65
    June 21/69
    July 23/74
    August 23/74
    September 18/65
    October 14/58
    November 9/48
    December 5/41

Average Annual Rainfall: 1117.2 mm / 43.98 inches
    Average Monthly Rainfall:
    Month Rainfall: mm/Inches
    January 131.6/ 5.18
    February 115.6/4.55
    March 105.4/ 4.15
    April 74.9/ 2.95
    May 61.7/ 2.43
    June 45.7/1.8
    July 36.1/1.42
    August 38.1/1.5
    September 64.4/2.54
    October 115.3/4.54
    November 167.2/6.58
    December 161.2/6.35

Vital Information

Canadian Money
    Climate Page
    Crossing The Border
    Disability Access
    Drive/Park in Vancouver
    Vancouver Fast Facts
    Medical Help
    Moving To Vancouver
    Transportation Overview

So to sum up, It rains a lot in Vancouver, and more in Auckland
    Go to Nelson..

Bike
    2008 KTM SuperDuke R
    My viewpoint is that of a Brit who's lived in Auckland for seven years, but has been in Brisbane for the past six weeks with a view to making the move permanent.

I came over in 2001; took a punt, and simply came over with a couple of big suitcases. I had been over here before, but as the last visit was sixteen years previously (when I was 10) it was essentially a blind move. I had a couple of advantages though; as my mother's a kiwi I had an automatic right to citizenship and I have a fair number of relatives in NZ with whom I could stay until I got on my feet. All in all, NZ has treated me pretty well. I've met some fantastic friends, met a great girl who I married a few months back and financially I've done OK.

Like everywhere else, the country has its positives and negatives. I would strongly recommend a pre-emmigration visit if only to check out the various cities to work out in which one you think you could live.

For me, the positives are:
    • The people. Generally pretty friendly and relatively laid back. People seem to be less up themselves than in some places: London and New York spring to mind from the places I've been in.
    • The scenery. Being a judge on the 'best scenic view in NZ' competition must be one of the hardest jobs in the world. There is huge variety, and a lot of it remains unspoilt. And with the country being relatively small, it's not all that far to go to see something different.
    • Track days are incredibly cheap. And addictive. You have been warned.
    • For everyday transactions, the banking system is miles ahead of that in most other places.
    • The weather's generally good. Yes, it rains a lot in Auckland but the climate's generally mild and pleasant. Given that NZ is a small land mass surrounded by lots of ocean, you don't really get extremes.
    • Rugby's a great game and the nearest thing to a state religion. Get used to it. With the exception of pay-per-view wrestling, there's very little north american sport shown, which is a very good thing.

On the flip side, the list of negatives (again, for me) is slightly longer:
    • NZ has a low-wage economy coupled with proportionally high housing costs. The taxation level is criminal and the money collected is managed incredibly badly. Investment in infrastructure simply doesn't happen.
    • Geographic isolation and the size of the market mean that most imported goods are expensive compared to elsewhere in the world, often thanks to the importersand distributors of such goods who feel that a good ass-reaming makes customers feel loved.
    • A seemingly large proportion of the population have absolutely no wish to ever get a job, and are happy bludging whatever money they can off the state. The current administration is happy to continually hand out money in return for votes. If you earn more than the pathetically low average wage, don't ever expect to get anything (other than a shafting) from the state.
    • You'll probably be fed up with Maori shite inside the first week. For some reason, Maori and the NZ government seem to think the culture is fascinating (it isn't) and therefore should be rammed down people's throats at every opportunity. The continual whinging over treaty abuses and claims is enough to drive most people up the wall.
    • If you like people who speak English, don't come to Auckland. 12.5% of the population is of recent Asian extraction and a seemingly large proportion of those have little desire to learn the language or assimilate into the population as a whole. I believe the problem is far less outside of Auckland though.
    • Political correctness and the nanny state. This current government's thinking is that everyone should be protected from themselves and that nothing is anyone's fault. The hoodie-wearing wannabe gangstaz who graffiti your fence aren't little shits, they're misunderstood darlings who are simply expressing in their own unique way their anger and frustration over not having been given enough teddy bears as a child. Nothing negative can be said about any one group, especially Maori. Oh - unless you're white and male, and then it's all your fault - whatever it is.
    • The roads, at least in the northern half of the north island, are complete utter unmitigated shite. They're bumpy, badly-laid, in dire need of repair and usually quite poorly engineered. The regional authorities' idea of road repair is to lay a thin coating of bitumen down and then tip a truck load of gravel on top of it. They then (when they can be bothered) give it the most cursory sweep and leave. As a result, there is often a layer of loose chippings all over the lines motorbikes like to take. I'm led to believe things may be different in the South Island though.
    • The standard of driving is diabolical. Most native kiwis aren't that bad (they'd still be dragged screaming out of their vehicles and given a good kicking in London, though), but our asian friends habitually drive with their eyes shut. No-one knows how to drive at a reasonable pace. Expect to get frustrated very quickly.
    • Traffic policing is over-zealous and counter-productive. Everything (low employment, climate change, single mothers, the plight of the north-west albatross, etc.) is blamed on speeding with precisely zero hard data to back it up. You'll be preached at regularly by brainless morons (politicians) who think otherwise; and unfortunately, it's those pricks who make the rules.
    • Public transport in Auckland is a joke, despite the vast wads of cash thrown at it. Don't even bother.

All this is irrelevant though. If you're white, well-educated and earn decent money, you won't have a hope of getting a working visa. Try stating on the immigration forms that you're from some piss-ant island in the south pacific, can't speak English, have no intentions of ever getting a job and intend to bludge off the state for as long as humanly possible. You'll have permanent residency by return post.

As I said earlier, I'm now in Brisbane and everything I've seen is telling me to make the move permanent. The coastline and scenery rivals NZ (the Sunshine Coast and hinterlands are among the most spectacular places I've ever seen), the roads are well made, the public transport system's excellent, there's investment in infrastructure, the cost of living is lower (fractionally), gas is cheaper, the weather's better, motorbikes are encouraged, the standard of driving is an order of magnitude better, the wildlife's more interesting (despite everything wanting to kill you), commodities are generally cheaper, the tax rate's lower and there's much more work in my field with better pay.

Bike
    07 Ducati 1098 with termis, no baffles
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanx View Post
    As I said earlier, I'm now in Brisbane and everything I've seen is telling me to make the move permanent. The coastline and scenery rivals NZ (the Sunshine Coast and hinterlands are among the most spectacular places I've ever seen), the roads are well made, the public transport system's excellent, there's investment in infrastructure, the cost of living is lower (fractionally), gas is cheaper, the weather's better, motorbikes are encouraged, the standard of driving is an order of magnitude better, the wildlife's more interesting (despite everything wanting to kill you), commodities are generally cheaper, the tax rate's lower and there's much more work in my field with better pay.

Thanks!! I'm starting to wonder if I should live in Brisbane too. Sounds very good there! If I go hiking in the mountains near Brisbane, are there lots of animals that would try to kill me for real ?

Bike
    GN250!!!!
    Brisbane is awesome but as someone who was looking at emigrating there years ago I prefer NZ. Each place has its ups and downs but on the whole I found that the Kiwis are far friendlier than the Ozzies. I have had so much help and support re moving, job hunting, developing job contacts etc that I have a very special place in my heart for Kiwis.

When I was over there for Xmas and NY I couldn't believe how many people offered for me to stay with them, borrow morotbikes, offered to take me to events and Kevin (nadroj) even drove from NP to Auckland to collect me so I could stay with him for a few days and ride around the NP region. I am still in regular contact with so many of the people I met through KB and that means a lot to me and says a lot about the type of people you find in NZ.

Maybe I am a little bit biased now that I have a Westie as a significant other but even taking him out of the equation I still would move to NZ tomorrow if I didn't have to finish my qualification here so that I can work there.

In my humble opinion it is not necessarily the economic status or climate but what the people are like that makes a place feel like home. You can have all the sun and money in the world but if you are lonely and isolated the best place in the world will suck!!

Quote Originally Posted by coteesh View Post
    Thanks!! I'm starting to wonder if I should live in Brisbane too. Sounds very good there! If I go hiking in the mountains near Brisbane, are there lots of animals that would try to kill me for real ?
    We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year,
    Running over the same old ground.
    What have you found? The same old fears.
    Wish you were here. QWQ

Bike
    2008 KTM SuperDuke R
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikern1mpho View Post
    ... but on the whole I found that the Kiwis are far friendlier than the Ozzies. I have had so much help and support re moving, job hunting, developing job contacts etc that I have a very special place in my heart for Kiwis.

When I was over there for Xmas and NY I couldn't believe how many people offered for me to stay with them, borrow morotbikes, offered to take me to events and Kevin (nadroj) even drove from NP to Auckland to collect me so I could stay with him for a few days and ride around the NP region. I am still in regular contact with so many of the people I met through KB and that means a lot to me and says a lot about the type of people you find in NZ.
    Meh - but it was only guys who offered to show you the country on a bike, and they were all just after your body anyhow...

Bike
    2008 KTM SuperDuke R
    I dont know about proper hiking, but I've been walking in a few national parks in the Sunshine Coast hinterlands and up at the Noosa headlands and the scariest things I've seen were a few fuck-off big spiders, which as it happens are pretty much harmless to humans (golden orb weavers and coastal golden orb weavers, if you're interested). And I've been looking for interesting wildlife, though I'm not about go start trail-blazing through the undergrowth or digging around in any woodpiles.

But it is very cool just walking down the river boardwalk in Brisbane and seeing water dragons basking in the sun, or rainbow lorrikeets and cockatoos flying around.

Bike
    Hyoslag
    Computer says no.

Bike
    77' CB750 Cafe Racer, 2009 Z750
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikern1mpho View Post
    Brisbane is awesome but as someone who was looking at emigrating there years ago I prefer NZ. Each place has its ups and downs but on the whole I found that the Kiwis are far friendlier than the Ozzies. I have had so much help and support re moving, job hunting, developing job contacts etc that I have a very special place in my heart for Kiwis.

Maybe I am a little bit biased now that I have a Westie as a significant other but even taking him out of the equation I still would move to NZ tomorrow if I didn't have to finish my qualification here so that I can work there.

In my humble opinion it is not necessarily the economic status or climate but what the people are like that makes a place feel like home. You can have all the sun and money in the world but if you are lonely and isolated the best place in the world will suck!!
    Kiwis are definitely very friendly - they like to be liked - especially by outsiders. They hate the thought of someone coming to NZ and not enjoying it.

The Ozzies may not come across as being so friendly to start with but thats the same in any big city anywhere in the world. I found the ozzies have the same piss taking sense of humor as the Brits, they don't take themselves so seriously and can laugh at themselves Kath and Kim is a good example.

Bike
    GSX750
    If you do go to Oz instead of NZ, you will find lots of Kiwis over there!

Thread Information