Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 10,000 km in 10 days - Which bike for it?

Bike
    2017 Suzuki Dl1000
    The Blackbird is a nice bike, but has similar service intervals and tyre life to the VStrom.
    Time to ride

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT650R
    any modern roadbike should go 10,000k's without a service, regardless of what its' service interval is. Replace all the consumable bits like chain etc before you go. Don't shake down a new bike doing this.

DB

Bike
    2017 Suzuki Dl1000
    Quote Originally Posted by DangerousBastard View Post
    any modern roadbike should go 10,000k's without a service, regardless of what its' service interval is. Replace all the consumable bits like chain etc before you go. Don't shake down a new bike doing this.
    DB
    I am prepared to push the servicing out a bit if its just an oil/filter change, but 6000 to 10000 is a bit more than I'd like to push it, then there is the question of tyre wear: For this ride I'll be looking for a bike that can go 12,000 km on a rear and more on the front. Tyres are one area where I'm not prepared to compromise.

For any long ride I have the bike fully serviced and new tyres, chain & sprockets before hand. When I buy a new bike I generally order it for winter delivery so its already got at least 12,000 kms on it before the Rusty Nuts rides in march.
    Time to ride

Bike
    DL1000 K8 VStrom
    Quote Originally Posted by Jantar View Post
    I am prepared to push the servicing out a bit if its just an oil/filter change, but 6000 to 10000 is a bit more than I'd like to push it,
    For extra peace of mind use fully synthetic oil instead of the usual semi synthetic. Even with semi syn, 10 days should be no problem on the engine - gearbox. Several months of stop start traffic, varying speeds and weather conditions would be worse, imho. It takes time for impurities and chemical changes to take place in the oil and 10,000 km in 10 days will be fine unless a bike is on a dirt race track.

My KB Videos (and pics): here

Don't ever argue with an idiot.... they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Bike
    I'd say get a RF. Yep they may be an older bike now - but they'll go forever. The recommended service timeframes and the real ones are slightly different. As you well know, having many of the GSX1100 components makes the RF a fairly indestructable beast. Tyre life depends on the rubber you put on, suffice to say I have Pilot Road 2's on mine and have had4 1/2 thousand k's so far with very little wear even being shown. I'm not going to claim to know anything about tyres though...
    They shall not grow old as we that are left grow old.
    Age shall not weary them nor the years condemn.
    At the going down of the sun and in the evening,
    we will remember them

Bike
    Concours 14, S10
    Quote Originally Posted by yod View Post
    pm meanie or banditrider

meanie is running avon storms and loves 'em and I think he's getting pretty good mileage, banditrider just finished almost 6000km in 11 days but not sure what he's running

(meanie is out of contact for a few days btw)
    I'm currently running some Pirelli Stradas. They've just clocked up 7,000km and are still ok (just had a wee puncture in the rear). The rear will definitely see 10,000km, the front - maybe. They seem to be an ok tyre although I did notice them moving around a bit on cooler days.

The bike is absolutely up to it - as you'd expect from this sort of bike. On the Mini's Reutrn it just hummed along - we kept pretty close to the speed limit and the bike gave an average of 17.7km/l for the whole trip (better than Mark's Bandit 12) with a range of around the 350km mark.

I'm tempted by the 10,000km in 10 days but not sure if I'm up to it - maybe some more pratice is in order.

Check this out: http://www.davojones.com/roku.htm

Edit: Picture added to demonstrate bug catching ability.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3250031.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	83.9 KB 
ID:	90472  

Bike
    Scorpio, XL1200N
    With regards to tyres, I'm surprised at how well the Pilot Road 2s are holding up on Betty the GSX1400. 8000km and the rear has plenty of wear left in it yet. They'll be doing their third trackday next week, too.

Then again, I'm a nana on the throttle, which helps.
    kiwibiker is full of love, an disrespect.
    - mikey

Bike
    2013 ZX14R SE
    Quote Originally Posted by Jantar View Post
    Well the title says it all. I'll be in for the Rusty Nuts 10,000 km in 10 day ride, but the VStrom won't be the right bike for that trip. I need a touring bike that can go 10,000 between servicing and tyres: A ST1300 or FJR perhaps?

The VStrom would need a tyre change part way through, so I'll look at changing bikes in winter 2009.
    Yamaha FJR / Honda ST1300 / Kawasaki ZG1400 / BMW K1200RT.
    Take your pick I reckon.

Bike
    '14 Multistrada 1200S
    Quote Originally Posted by NZsarge View Post
    Yamaha FJR / Honda ST1300 / Kawasaki ZG1400 / BMW K1200RT.
    Take your pick I reckon.
    FZ1 wouldnt be a bad option either I reckon....pretty comfy, how are you doing on tyres?
    F M S

Bike
    2013 ZX14R SE
    Quote Originally Posted by yod View Post
    FZ1 wouldnt be a bad option either I reckon....pretty comfy, how are you doing on tyres?
    4k and the rear is screwed! Front is still awesome though.......
    Will go back to Michelins soon, just for the hell of it I might give another PP 2ct a go on the rear.

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT650R
    Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    For extra peace of mind use fully synthetic oil instead of the usual semi synthetic
    This is good advice, but I would suggest you not change the oil TYPE or BRAND right before a long ride. Stick with what it has recently used.

I have, more than once, had an engine have a severe brain fart when swapping to a different oil. I have no real clue why. All returned to normal after immediately changing back. Go figure. Not what you want to experience on a trip.

But, yes, using a fully synthetic oil is a good idea. Consider Amsoil if you can get it.

DB

Bike
    R1100s / SV400
    Tyres: It is well known that I don't ride hard, and don't have a surplus over Horse power that I'm trying to put down, but I'm running Z6's front and rear, 13000 between changes no problem at all.

Fuel: Twice in the last week I have touched 380Km from full tank and not flicked to reserve. I know I have put 21.8 litres in my tank without having to push it in to the gas station (must have been close though, listed as 22 litre tank). Most this trip was 19 litres (381km).

Should my wife win that debate and I not do the 10,000km ride, you may be able to hire my bike .
    Soccer - A Gentlemans game played by Hooligans. Rugby - A Hooligans Game played by Gentlemen.

Bike
    Sold
    Hi Malcolm

Just to show a complete lack of bias, I'm not going to recommend a Blackbird or anything remotely similar . I've also mulled over what would be the perfect long haul solo bike for timed endurance rides and I'm going to suggest that you seriously consider a modern 600 such as the Suzuki GSR 600, 600/650 Bandit or similar models by any of the other major manufacturers. Any of them can cruise economically in the speed range you'll need and they will be VERY easy on tyres. Ergonomically, they'll also be very easy to flick about, have an upright stance and therefore reduce stress on the body. Having done 1600 kms in 18 hours on the 'bird, the body does take a hiding because of the weight and ergonomics and the ride you're thinking of doing will be more a matter of physical well-being than outright bike performance. I honestly think a lighter weight bike would be the way to go. As someone else mentioned, synthetic lubricants or semi-synthetic ones will handle 10000 km without worry.

Anyway, there's my two cents' worth.

Cheers,

Geoff

Bike
    '14 Multistrada 1200S
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Hi Malcolm

Just to show a complete lack of bias, I'm not going to recommend a Blackbird
    why?

i'd be interested in your views on the blackbird as a sports tourer....I understand they're not short on power but how are they comfort/fuel/tyre/maintenance-wise?

cheers
    F M S

Bike
    Honda Pan European ST1100
    Blog Entries
    This Rusty Nuts Challenge is the N.Z. version of the Iron Butt Rally in the USA.
    The results of that Rally for the last fifteen shows the top marque being BMW closely followed by Honda. All other manufacturers combined not coming close.
    Top 20 finishers 1995 - 2007. BMW 60, Honda 51, Yamaha 16, Kawasaki 3, Harley Davidson 3, Ducati 1, Suzuki 1, Victory 1, Buell 1, Triumph 1.
    So I would suggest you consider a BMW or an Honda.
    Atheism and Religion are but two sides of the same coin.
    One prefers to use its head, while the other relies on tales.

Thread Information