Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Risky kids!

Bike
    Triumph Sprint St 07, G650gs BMW

Risky kids!

So tell me what do people think about taking thie kids for a ride on the back of there bikes. my two are 10 and 8 and are nuts about bikes, always nagging me for a ride. I have purchased protective gear for them icluding correct fitting helmet, gloves boots jackets etc.....and i am utmost carefull when i take them for a ride, but now i have found that i am getting grief from the x wife about all the dangers..blah blah blah, It doesnt help that she is a nurse, and gets to see all the graphic pictures of accidents etc.....I have found in general that the rides i have taken the kids on have been very enjoyable, when we stop and chat and talk like best friends, and is something we enjoy doing together, and they get quality one on one time with Dad.(well when we stop they do) So what are other peoples view on this?

Bike
    Fatbob
    I take the kids sometimes ... 14 and 12

Bike
    anything I can get my grubby wee paws on
    I take my kids (8 and 9) for the occaisional blatt.

I'm more than usually paranoid riding with them on behind.

It is a risk - I would hate to have an accident with them onboard.

But I think the benefits of the shared experience make it worthwhile
    =mjc=

Bike
    750 auw
    If you're teaching your kids good risk-management then good stuff...

too many kids growing up in bubble wrap these days.....

Bike
    2020 ls650 boulevard
    i grew up sitting on the tank, going around the back yard on one of dads jappas. loved it!

so long as they know to hold on, i think itd be fine. ive never heard of a child falling off the back or being involved in an accident. im sure its happened, but ive never heard anything.
    everything has its risks, and kids dont take enough of them these days.
    my blog: http://sunsthomasandfriends.weebly.com/index.html

the really happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery when on a detour.

Bike
    Merida
    I have got a 4 year old and I can't wait till she is big enough to take for a ride. She will of course have all the protective gear.

I might even be able to pick her up from school once in a while. I am sure other kids will go green with envy when her laid back dad picks her up on his cool bike, heaps better than being picked up by a stressed out and screaming parent driving a stodgy SUV...
    Ride fast or be last.

Bike
    Triumph Sprint St 07, G650gs BMW
    Foot note to all this, i have picked up my kids form school on the bike, and they just never stop talking about it! There mates think it is so cool. I some times think politcal correctness has gone wrong... we are trying to hard to do everthing right, that we end up doing nothing!

Bike
    '69 Lambretta & SR400
    My little 'un (2 +a bit) loves to ride on my pushie and to roll down the driveway stood on the floorboards of the Lambretta...he'll be on the back as soon as he can hang on properly.

IMO for all of us parents risking being on 2 wheels, it's probably a good tune-up for us to have the kids on the back, because we should be riding as though they are there all the time...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lobster View Post
    Only a homo puts an engine back together WITHOUT making it go faster.

Bike
    I just lost count
    I got carted around on the back of a bike at about that age. Sure there are risk associated with it (isint there with everything), but you try and minimise them.

Probally the only damage you are doing is condeming them to a life of pouring every free cent of money that the earn into bikes, petrol, and other bike related events. (well maybe tht was just me)

For the record Qkkid was in my bed, not the other way round

Quote Originally Posted by Yow Ling View Post
    Pumba is a wise man.

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT650R
    Quote Originally Posted by raftn View Post
    i am getting grief from the x wife
    this is quite normal, as I understand it. Never had an x wife (mine is an "A" wife lol) so I couldn't tell you first hand.

DB
    "I am a licenced motorcycle instructor, I agree with dangerousbastard, no point in repeating what he said."
    "read what Steve says. He's right."
    "What Steve said pretty much summed it up."
    "I did axactly as you said and it worked...!!"
    "Wow, Great advise there DB."
    WTB: Hyosung bikes or going or not.

Bike
    Baby Gixxer
    Blog Entries
    All comes down to level of "understanding" on part of child and parent. I'd be disinclined to take a very young child or one who had difficulty doing as they were told on the back of my bike. (Have only had Ripper Roo92 on the back, and he's big enough and ugly enough to understand what's required to be a pillion, not to mention that he rides anyway).
    I've often thought about whether I'd be happy taking a child on the back and come to the conclusion that it would be very dependant on circumstances. e.g. older sensible child yes, without hesitation (with proper gear goes without saying); young child who is used to riding with someone else, possibly; under 8 (arbitrary age limit there) probably not likely; fidgitty wriggle worm, forget it; as a 'life saving' last resort of course.
    I think that as far as exes are concerned (never had one, but know lots of em) it can be more a case of hassle for the sake of it rather than the actual issue, or they're convinced that anyone else , no matter who, won't look after the kids as well as they do.
    Try short rides, see how they respond and go from there. It can be a whole new learning experience for all concerned, and should hopefully be enjoyable while you're at it. (You'll feel lots more stress than the kids will but as an adult you should have better coping mechanisms!)
    Go for it.
    I lahk to moove eet moove eet...

Katman to steveb64
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I'd hate to ever have to admit that my arse had been owned by a Princess.

Bike
    Triumph America
    I have always taken my kids/grandkids for rides, they love it!
    it has taught them balance and given them an early start into 2wheeledom, thats not a bad thing.
    A universal dream of greatness is that
    We push ourselves to the limit
    Yet still be brilliant when the chips are down.
    Sometimes , The struggle kills the dream.

Bike
    SLOW ONE
    used to take my oldest daughter (18) riding all the time when she was about 8 she loved it and still take her out now on occasion , would not hesitate to take the others out when there about 8 in a couple of years
    LIVE LIFE TO THE FULLEST SO WHEN YOU DIE YOUR FRIENDS DONT HAVE TO LIE AT YOUR FUNERAL

Bike
    Triumph Speed Four
    Quote Originally Posted by jim.cox View Post
    I take my kids (8 and 9) for the occaisional blatt.

I'm more than usually paranoid riding with them on behind.

It is a risk - I would hate to have an accident with them onboard.

But I think the benefits of the shared experience make it worthwhile
    What the man said...

My husband and I go riding each on our own bike...my son (10 y/o) rides with hubby (not his natural father) and has done so since he was offered his first ride as his 9th birthday presie. They were close before but are way more now, and I can tell you that this is invaluable.

Creating a passion for our children is a duty for us parents. And yes, some risks are involved, but so is there in crossing the road.

You are giving your young ones life experiences they will never forget. You're introducing them to a community that values (for the majority) respect for yourself and other people, and encourages an eagerness for challenges.

I know that it is difficult when someone from a family is a non biker / believer. But I don't think you are doing the wrong thing by introducing them to something you love. Like you said, it is Dad/ kids time, and it is priceless...so good on you!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    Time to cut out the "holier/more enlightened than thou" bullshit and the "slut" comments and let people live honestly how they like providing they're not harming themselves or others in the process.

Bike
    '14 Multistrada 1200S
    dont take em out in the rain/sleet/snow/ice/gridlock/auckland motorway/racetrack

and dont ride like a maniac

that should cut down the risk considerably
    F M S

Thread Information