Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Can you get off a speeding ticket for incorrect information?

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT650R
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Preload View Post
    I can't understand why there isn't a distance to target readout (and perhaps more importantly, a time stamp) accompanying each of the speeds. Perhaps they'll roll that out on the next model.
    The technology used doesn't have that sort of feature, and it can't easily be added.

The microwave radar units shoot a 30-40GHz signal down the road and listens for reflections on nearby frequencies. The further the frequency of the reflection away from the transmitted signal means the greater the speed of the target.

If there are two targets at the same speed you will get one reflection. If you have two targets at varying speeds you will get two reflections and if the firmware allows - two speeds indicated.

Savvy ?

There is no mechanism to determine distance, unless new tricks are done with chirp modulating the transmitted signal blah-di-blah but now a simple instrument becomes a complex one..

Laser is a different story, where it is very difficult to detect the different return (doppler) signal so they do it a different way - they send a pulsed beam of light and they can easily measure the phase angle of the return signal in comparison with the transmitted signal. Greater phase angle = greater distance. From distance and time can be calculated speed.

Laser can be used to separate one target from another, but it cannot simultaneously resolve two targets like microwave can. But microwave requires enormous operator skill and understanding, combined with video, to give any useful result in when there are two or more targets. The results would so confusing, and the explanation so technical, that the judge would scratch his head for a week and unlikely he would allow it.

See, clear as mud.

DB
    "I am a licenced motorcycle instructor, I agree with dangerousbastard, no point in repeating what he said."
    "read what Steve says. He's right."
    "What Steve said pretty much summed it up."
    "I did axactly as you said and it worked...!!"
    "Wow, Great advise there DB."
    WTB: Hyosung bikes or going or not.

Bike
    Suzuki GSX1250FA, TGB 50cc moped
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Preload View Post
    What about the bike passing the boy racer... on the left...I can't understand why there isn't a distance to target readout (and perhaps more importantly, a time stamp) accompanying each of the speeds. Perhaps they'll roll that out on the next model.
    Doppler radar can't identify :

- How far away the target is
    - If there are multiple targets in the beam, which one it is actually looking at
    - There is not a direct relationship between distance to target and signal strength
    - There is not a direct relationship between vehicle size and signal strength

I asked the question, as in the "olden days lol" I had a 10.525 Ghz police radar unit to test, and found lots of ways it would F.Up.

Stalker DSR is very very much better. But it still can't indentify its target.

It USED to be that police (Traffic then) were not permitted to give you a ticket when there were multiple vehicles in the beam. In act, they could listen to the returned "beat" note and used to call it a "clear tone" if nly one vehicle was in the beam.

Stalker DOES NOT let the operator hear this beat note, as it would be confusing, changing with patrol car speed. Instead, the Stalker guesses which signal is important, and makes an audible tone which corresponds to That Target.
    David must play fair with the other kids, even the idiots.

Bike
    Ducati 749 & Zx6rr
    Recieved my reminder notice today and the reg number is not the same as my car, so I will go to the post office and get the details for the vehicle that it is stated I was driving and send that with my letter I have drafted. Will let you know how I get on...
    To be old and wise first you must be young and stupid

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Quote Originally Posted by timetoride View Post
    Recieved my reminder notice today and the reg number is not the same as my car, so I will go to the post office and get the details for the vehicle that it is stated I was driving and send that with my letter I have drafted. Will let you know how I get on...

Sounds like you MAY have a win here...
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    Loud and hoony
    Yes I understand that I was over the speed limit, however in my eyes trying to pass a vehicle travelling at 85/90 kph at 100 kph and spending god knows how long on the wrong side of the road while doing so is alot more of a risk to other road users than passing at 120kph and getting the manouvre completed quickly and effectively.
    Incorrect - we all know that speed kills. More speed = more deaths

[p/t]

Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    He'll have YOUR licence No. on the ticket ??? It was you...doesn't matter what you were driving...
    That was what I was thinking. Did he write down your license number correctly?

Best of luck!
    Anyway, what were you driving that day?
    It is preferential to refrain from the utilisation of grandiose verbiage in the circumstance that your intellectualisation can be expressed using comparatively simplistic lexicological entities. (...such as the word fuck.)

Remember your humanity, and forget the rest. - Joseph Rotblat

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT650R
    Coolies. Tell him "I have never driven or owned this car. Your information is incorrect. My legal advice is to not pay this infringement notice."

Do NOT give him any further information.

DB
    "I am a licenced motorcycle instructor, I agree with dangerousbastard, no point in repeating what he said."
    "read what Steve says. He's right."
    "What Steve said pretty much summed it up."
    "I did axactly as you said and it worked...!!"
    "Wow, Great advise there DB."
    WTB: Hyosung bikes or going or not.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by DangerousBastard View Post
    Coolies. Tell him "I have never driven or owned this car. Your information is incorrect. My legal advice is to not pay this infringement notice."

Do NOT give him any further information.

DB
    Who is this 'him' you are refering to??
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........

Bike
    2020 Yamaha R3

Angry

I have a better one than getting fined for doing 114km

I got fined $30 for doing 56 in a 50km school zone... DURING THE SCHOOL HOLIDAYS

Bike
    Steam powered rocking chair
    Quote Originally Posted by Roki_nz View Post

I got fined $30 for doing 56 in a 50km school zone... DURING THE SCHOOL HOLIDAYS
    Yeah.....I got done for 5km over in a truck near the end off a passing lane north of rakaia 2 yrs ago. That lowered my already dim view of highway patrol enforcement policy.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    YOU recieved the "reminder". LICENCE No. would have been correct then.
    BUGGER eh !!!...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    2007 CB900
    Quote Originally Posted by Roki_nz View Post

Since 56 is well above 50 i am not surprised. Since its around 40 during school time.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikkel View Post
    Incorrect - we all know that speed kills.
    Nah, speed is fine. Its the potential sudden deceleration that fucks people up.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadows View Post
    Nah, speed is fine. Its the potential sudden deceleration that fucks people up.
    And who cares about the speed - ya speed, ya pay.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by scumdog View Post
    And who cares about the speed - ya speed, ya pay.
    Only if you stop

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadows View Post
    Only if you stop
    Meh....sometimes if you DO stop ya don't care - after all, with that kind of stop yer dead, ergo ya don't care, eh?

Thread Information