Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Perth: motorcycling heaven or hell?

Bike
    Rolls Royce RB211

Perth: motorcycling heaven or hell?

I'm stuck in Perth for a couple of weeks on a training course, so what's a bloke to do on a couple of days off? Check out the bike sops of course!

Having lived here for 12 years I knew to stroll straight down to the Causeway Motorcycle centre and a smorgasbord of the latest and greatest was indeed waiting to be drooled over: '08 ZX10R, 'blade, R1, RC8, Benelli TNT, SuperdukeR, 'Busa etc etc not to mention 1098 (any colour you like), 1098S (in black, cor!) 1098R all within 100m.

But the heaven on a stick moment for me was a Honda RC45 and Bimota SB8R cuddled up together, visions of old school SBK loveliness.

So what's the problem?

As I mentioned, I know the joint fairly well and I know that having purchased one of the aforementioned beauties that there isn't a decent bit road worthy of any of them in the close environs other than Wanneroo race track.

It's inhuman I tells ya!

Bike
    BMW R1200RT
    Yep. That's WA for you in a nutshell.

Great bikes, no corners.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    and all those rich mine workers....

Bike
    All of them
    I lasted a year - couldn't wait to get out of the place.

The run down to Margaret river is OK.

Bike
    various
    Blog Entries

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    I lasted a year - couldn't wait to get out of the place.

The run down to Margaret river is OK.
    My first day there I got put in jail and fingerprinted. All for the unforgivable crime of drinking a can of Bourbon with coke on a parkbench. (I had only bought one from the bottlestore across the road to quench my thirst as it was a hot day). 4 days later I had to be in court to defend my crime. They had the empty can as proof of my lawlessness. Needless to say my stay in the town was shortlived and I travelled north breaking the dullness of the long straights by chasing wildlife with my dirtbike. (Did you know that roos can get up to over 70K/h...)

May the bridges I burn light the way.

Follow Vinny's MX racing on www.mxvinny.com

Bike
    All of them
    Man - you NEVER used to stop in Norseman on the ride over.
    Every motorcycle and Surf wagon/Kombi was fully unpacked and searched.

Bike
    06 scrambler,xrl,
    Blog Entries
    The road out to Toodyay is a good run. Fast n flowing.
    Dwellingup-Williams ditto.
    Donnybrook - Collie. Many Duc 748's hammer that rd.
    Nannup _Bridgetown. Great pubs out that way, but stay away on Blues weekend.
    It's true, 99% of WA bike roads are sth of Mandurah. Thats why I moved sth from Perth in 97, checked out the roads till 99, then took the big bird home to NZ.

Bike
    Nothing at the moment.
    What about the "dam run" at Mundaring Weir? Awesome twisties there (well awesome by Perth standards anyway).

Bike
    All of them
    I lived in Como and worked for an industrial supplier in Welshpool - Freeo to Kwinana was my territory.

The only decent corner in the whole run was the Canning Hwy exit. :-)

Bike
    All of them
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Zod View Post
    What about the "dam run" at Mundaring Weir? Awesome twisties there (well awesome by Perth standards anyway).
    Yeah - I forgot about that one - and the Bull ants on the picnic blanket. Mint day though.

Bike
    KTM 950 Super Moto
    I was there from 83 to 86, sand, sand, and more sand! Oh and gumtrees and dry heat up to 45deg C. And heaps of Aussies with that annoying twang.
    It was a buzz to go to a place that was a "real city with real tall buildings" after having only known ChCh all my life, but the novelty wore thin real quick!
    I would NEVER move back there, the roads in the S.I. are just wonderful, I never seem to get bored with them.
    One thing I liked about WA was the lack of wind, no howling nor'westers or shitty easterlies or southerlies...but the heat was pretty savage. Then the ol' Fremantle doctor would soothe the soul in the arvo!
    I lived in Maylands, Floreat Park, Subiaco, Maida Vale, Bickley Valley..yip, I got around a bit lol!
    NZ Highway Patrol's Road Safety Campaign....
    Get Bikes off the Road at All Costs!

Bike
    BMW K1200S
    Yeah ive been back n forth to Perth heaps of times for work in the past, lovely place, lovely people but shit house roads for bikes & only one decent innercity beach, which is shit for surfing.
    To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; to earn the appreciation of honest critics and to endure the betrayal of false friends. To appreciate beauty; to find the best in others; to leave the world a bit better whether by a healthy child, a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition; to know that even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded

Bike
    06 scrambler,xrl,
    Blog Entries
    I'm bemused by the many people who judge WA by the city of Perth. (like comparing the nth isld by only living in Wellington. (no offence Welly people)

Boob, if surf is what you want, go to Margaret river, Cowaramup Bay, or Yallingup.
    Great bike roads, sth west corner.
    Great fishing, Geraldton -to the top of the state.
    Wine, sth west.
    Out back adv, nth east,
    etc etc

(is my affection for the place showing?)

Bike
    2005 FZS1000 "Tasha"
    and of course the O'Briens loop near Mundaring ......... that's twisted [and claims victims almost every weekend ...........]

I like the dam roads further south - swooping and exhilarating rather than tight twisting .....

and the back road to Toodyay, thru Chittering, is not to be sneezed at either
    ... ...

Grass wedges its way between the closest blocks of marble and it brings them down. This power of feeble life which can creep in anywhere is greater than that of the mighty behind their cannons....... - Honore de Balzac

Bike
    2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio 8V
    As already mentioned, the Hills behind Kelmscott and Kalamunda are great and the Chittering Valley. Then just South from Byford up to Jarrahdale on further South again to Dwellingup.

Drop me a line if you want to go for a blat.
    Marty

Ever notice that anyone slower than you is an idiot, but anyone going faster is a maniac?

Thread Information