Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Places to ride off-road

Bike
    Changes Weekly
    is there any hush hush private motorx tracks with jumps around hamilton???
    getting a bit sick of kimmys and thunder x, and the organised trail rides, need to branch out and ride some other tracks. anyone????? ive heard theres one out at pirongia is it any good??

Bike
    '04 300 EXC
    Who has done some dodgy riding in wellington? i wanna know about the rimutakas or the firebreaks, around the coast from eastbourne or belmont or anywhere. What's the riding like, where do you go in and how dodgy is it (police/DOC etc)???

Bike
    Changes Weekly

hidden wonders

Quote Originally Posted by raglanash View Post
    Found a little practice track just south of hamilton in Pirongia.
    Head south out of pirongia on the main road, ya get about 5k out of town and there is a massive straight, about a k down on the right is a small shed and a gate, next to the gate on the fence is a motorcycle tyre, open the gate and go through. just past the first shed on the right there is another shed by a gate, stop and go in, there is an honesty box which you put $10 in and sign your life away, keep following the track up and over the hill, go through a double gate carry on down hill now to the next gate, behind this gate is where you park. DO NOT HOON AROUND AND OR SKID UP THIS PADDOCK!!! You will get us all kicked out, not to mention getting your own ass kicked by the farm owner. Go across the creek and you will see it, it"s a few tracks cut into the scrub with a massive hill. Good fun for a bit of a muck around, I think DK and a few other moto guys practice out there, there are no jumps, i think it's a saftey thing..
    There are some pretty nice berms and nice flowing trails and some massive ruts those guys have carved in and some cool figure 8 ruts, it's good practice.
    Takes a good 3-4min to get around. Pretty rough at the best of times.
    Its clay.
    Have fun, if you can find it....
    And you didn't hear it from me... (seriously you just heard it from some guy at the pub..)
    im going to see if i can find it this weekend. im getting a bit of cabin fever , i need to get out on the bike, kimmys isnt open till october IF the weather fines up.

Bike
    Changes Weekly

thunder x park

Quote Originally Posted by BILLY P View Post
    hi guy's.the maratoto tracks are awsome.did the big loop at xmas,they ask for $5 for bikes. also been to thunder valley bike park a few times now.good riding and well kept,the owner james fowlie is a awsome guy,we hired bikes off him for our xmas break up.great day.
    i heard they have a mx track with jumps there now?? last time i went there was bout 2 years ago it was pissing down with rain, it was good fun real slippery though. also i heard they have two different loops now.

Bike
    Changes Weekly
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLY P View Post
    cheers wayne,have you got more info on thompsons track weve always wanted to go there but not sure where it is{ sounds good]
    if its the thompsons track near te aroha sometimes it can get real rough and very boggy and slippery, i call it a bike breaker, every time i go up there i break something. the bush sections which branch off the main track are cool, also you can see the ocean from the very top (which is were i siezed my bike)

Bike
    Changes Weekly
    Quote Originally Posted by B0000M View Post
    kimmies, goto kimmies.co.nz

go to huntly, go west, over the bridge, follow this road until you get to a road with a big overhead conveyor thing over it, go down there till you get there.

Woodhill, head out kumeu way, carry on until you see signs

Ardmore, directions above, follow bikes on trailers!
    kimmys is awesome, cant wait for the clouds to clear, the sun to shine and the track to DRY OUT.

Bike
    2008 Yamaha YZ250
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingcr250 View Post
    is there any hush hush private motorx tracks with jumps around hamilton???
    getting a bit sick of kimmys and thunder x, and the organised trail rides, need to branch out and ride some other tracks. anyone????? ive heard theres one out at pirongia is it any good??

The Pirongia track is SERIOUSLY bumpy... The whole track is just whoops, theres no jumps either. Its never maintained... But its somewhere to ride if you have nowhere else to go. Nice Berms though. There are a lot of ruts carved outside of the track, good for practice in rutted corners. Dont go there after/during rain, you have to cross a rather wide and fast river [its almost non-existant during the dry periods], but it is really dodgy in the wet, it has large slippery rocks on the bottom, and can be impossable to cross if there has been a week or two of rain.

Last week there was one built in Whatawhata, just outside of Hamilton on the way towards Raglan. I went for a a Squirt there today, its gonna be one really awesome track when it compacts down and a few berms are built - which is happening next weekend. The guy that owns it is a real good guy, hes gonna be charging $10. Ill post some pics and more details next weekend when i go there again.

Bike
    2008 Yamaha YZ250
    Hi "cr125nz", got your PM but apparantly my 'post count' isnt high enough to reply... id txt u.. but have no money haha.

Anyway in response to your message:

Yeah for sure mate, ill keep you posted, its not 100% done yet, it needs berms, and a couple jumps need to be built up due to the soft dirt the bulldozer made, we carved a few good lines into it and this rain will compact it down nicely.

The track is in freshly buldozed gorse... not to worry about the gorse though, pushed right out of the way. It has a couple smaller jumps [these are still being built], a pretty decent drop if you go fast enough, a 5th gear open straight [on my crf250] a decent uphill with a few lil jumps in it, an off camber part... and a lot more. Its not the longest track, but i was never bored riding there sat and sun.

As for quads... im not sure what those mx quads are like but thus track does have one off camber bit that could be dodgy, but it should be right. You can allways drive around the bottom. The whole course is easyly wide enough for a quad.

Im not sure of the address, Its the road past karakariki rd on the way to raglan. there is a old mx tyre on the fence from the main road, and one beside the track itself. there is a building site there. you cant really see the track very well from the road, just park by the old diggers n shit and go talk to the owner - seems like a real nice guy.

Ill be heading out there this weekend with a few mates. Welcome to come have a blat with us - allways after more riding buddys.

Chur

Bike
    crf250
    sweet sounds like a good plan bro

Bike
    SOLD, looking for a new one.
    Quote Originally Posted by honda_power View Post
    Last week there was one built in Whatawhata, just outside of Hamilton on the way towards Raglan. I went for a a Squirt there today, its gonna be one really awesome track when it compacts down and a few berms are built - which is happening next weekend. The guy that owns it is a real good guy, hes gonna be charging $10. Ill post some pics and more details next weekend when i go there again.
    SWEET! a track like 5 mins for the front door! Thanks heaps for that man! Will hav to check it out!
    My choice is what I choose to do,
    And if I'm causing no harm, it shouldn't bother you.

Bike
    crf250
    might see you out there matt if you go out on the weekend or catch up at thunder if you are going on sunday

Bike
    2008 Yamaha YZ250
    Quote Originally Posted by mattwood View Post
    SWEET! a track like 5 mins for the front door! Thanks heaps for that man! Will hav to check it out!
    yeah i live like 5-10 min away as well! hopefully they build the berms this weekend. probly head there sunday

Bike
    2008 Yamaha YZ250
    oh, and dont bring TOO many people... theres not much parking. the track is by a building site... you cant really see the track very well, but there is a mx tyre on the main rd junction, and the track. its the second to last house down that road.

Bike
    Changes Weekly

when is kimmys open?

Quote Originally Posted by Motu View Post
    This thread is for places to ride,these are upper North Island,(thanks Firefight)other areas please put in what you have.

1) The Sandpit, Woodhill forest, SHW 16/ take Rimmers rd head to coast, bike park well sign posted, Open Wed to Sunday, late night Thursday during summer, provides access to 1000 acres and 200kms of sand based tracks, Sand Moto X track. Kids tracks etc. Free break down service with 4x4 650cc Quad, Toilet and wash down facilities. For rates/info www.thesandpit.co.nz.

2)Thunder Valley Bike park SHW 22, about 30 mins sou west of Tuakau.
    750 acres of hill country rides, A & B track, swamps, forest, bush, Moto x track, hilly stuff, fast open hay paddocks, heaps of natural formed jumps and man made jumps, I think open Wednesday to Sunday, safe/secure parking,
    was about NZ$20.00 per rider, (A) track not suitable for kids or newbies.

3) Jam track, located left hand side clevedon to dudders road, small moto x track and 7-8 min bush track, tricky in wet, but lots of fun.

4)Fletchers Arariumu, small private track, not bad, used to charge NZ$ 15.00

5) If your into Moto X, Ardmore is at very active well run club, bloody good safe track, for newbies and pros, from papkura on the clevedon rd, just past ardmore airfeild turn off look for a KTM sign on right hand side.

6) If you don,t mind a bit of a drive, Kimmys farm at rotowaro west of Huntly has a good track, good motox track, and very good endro loop(11 ks I think)
    used to be NZ$ 20.00, but have not ridden there this year.

7) Maratotos DOC run/honesty box, about 25 ks from Kopu as you head towards Paeroa, don,t ride it alone very isolated, and very challanging, ride creek beds, about 4 river crossings, rock slides tracks, bush, good value.

8) If your a good motox rider, Harrisville(Tuakau) is where its at, big jumps, fast track, good location, normally only open for big events or club pratice, if you want big air/broken bones go there.
    does anyone know when kimmys is open, im dieing to get back out there, cant wait for summer

Bike
    cr250f
    october iv heard,
    yeah cant wait!!!

Thread Information