Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Your nemesis corner?

Bike
    Best Bitza Bucket 2008 BoB
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jrandom View Post
    Somewhere between Kawakawa Bay and Clevedon...

Vicious.
    It would seem that is quite a corner, I must investigate next time I make it up that way.

Fit crash bungs first you reckon?

Bike
    2018 Ducati Monster 797
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sully60 View Post
    Here's some helping out as I mentioned at the start.

If you're not confident about gassing and turning because of the surface, get the bike slowed down and pointed where you need it to go (so hopefully you would already be looking in that direction) this way you're free to deal with the issue and don't have to concentrate on where you need to go, carry steady throttle until you've cleared whatever it is that bothers you, then accelerate as normal from there. If you can't avoid (eliminate) the risks then minimise the risk and start over when the canvas for carving is clear.

$0.02 FWIW.
    Cool, thanks Sully, will try to remember that and go out and practice it sometime.... instead of doing what I normally do.. think "ah fuck" and clench my teeth and my butt and hope for the best!

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trudes View Post
    Cool, thanks Sully, will try to remember that and go out and practice it sometime.... instead of doing what I normally do.. think "ah fuck" and clench my teeth and my butt and hope for the best!
    Yeah it's just something that comes with experience, a little bit of dirt riding helps with this stuff too. Practice practice practice!

Bike
    Scorpio, XL1200N
    It would seem that is quite a corner, I must investigate next time I make it up that way.

Fit crash bungs first you reckon?
    It's a beautiful ride from Miranda to Clevedon. Absolutely worth doing on your next trip north.

Just remember, once you're bound for Clevedon and turn away from the seaside strip of road with houses on it, the corner is coming up. Hang off more than you need to, and be prepared to bang on the front brake and tip in harder, etc.

If you're thinking about it, you're sweet, but if you're just pootling and riding to what you can see and what you expect, it'll fuck you up good and proper.

Once that corner's past, you're all good to go nuts within your usual comfort zone.

(This is one post which I feel pretty sure ain't gonna get me a bollocking from boomer - you should ask him about the first time he went round [edit: I should say tried to go round] that corner...)
    kiwibiker is full of love, an disrespect.
    - mikey

Bike
    2018 Ducati Monster 797
    Blog Entries
    Ohhh ridin dirty, now that I do want to try!!

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trudes View Post
    Ohhh ridin dirty, now that I do want to try!!

Like this?

Bike
    PopTart Katoona
    Blog Entries

my corner

heading just out of Waihi towards Whangamata, there is a nice wavy but long straight just after the bridge. Straight after that there is a clearly signposted 45 kph right hander which looks nice a sweaping.
    The corner is quite deceptive and is almost hook like from birds eye view.
    I slow to about 50k on that corner every time now. I learnt the hard way that powervalves should not be engaged mid-corner with a noob at the controls.
    Reactor Online. Sensors Online. Weapons Online. All Systems Nominal.

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    Yungatart's Corner...on one of the link roads joining SH30 and SH4. A decreasing radius, steepening downhill left.
    Pukerimu off Kopaki...http://www.smaps.co.nz/nz/waitomo/be...e/kopaki+road/
    First view is looking back and shows how it tightens just as it steepens
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mini-DSC00999.JPG 
Views:	9 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	101890   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mini-DSC01002.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	87.3 KB 
ID:	101891  
    Last edited by MSTRS; 31st July 2008 at 13:37.
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    BMWR1100RS,
    Nobody will know this b'stard but it's the last of a series that I call cheesy bends, sh45 between Oakura and Otako, The Naki.

Catches me out every time, I remember it, I prepare for it but every time I run wide. It starts off like all the others 45-50 advisory bend but it just keeps on tightening up.

Thing is I know it's there but every time I have to alter my line, it's like the roadies come and crank it round a couple more degrees inbetween my visits.

I will own the fker one day and ftr, I aint no racer, I'm sure the pizza delivery boy could carry a similar speed, It just feels wrong to change direction mid corner, gotta make it smoother.
    Oh bugger

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MSTRS View Post
    A decreasing radius, steepening downhill left.
    Now there's a point. I love uphill corners, but find that I take the same corner going downhill with much less confidence. What's the trick? Ignore the slope, and just ride the corner? Move your weight back to compensate for the slope? [insert :spudwhat: emoticodweebicon here]
    ... and that's what I think.

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    2018 Ducati Monster 797
    Blog Entries
    Like this?
    That is so cool!! Love it! That'll be me when Rangi's ready to roll!!!

Bike
    A Tractor
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jrandom View Post
    Just remember, once you're bound for Clevedon and turn away from the seaside strip of road with houses on it, the corner is coming up.
    ...and you will see the Jandal right about there
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    Quote Originally Posted by vifferman View Post
    Now there's a point. I love uphill corners, but find that I take the same corner going downhill with much less confidence. What's the trick? Ignore the slope, and just ride the corner? Move your weight back to compensate for the slope? [insert :spudwhat: emoticodweebicon here]
    The trick? I approach all corners well to the outside of the bend (to enable maximum sightline through the corner). When you come across one of the above bastards, unmarked like this one was, all you can do is drop your weight further to the inside and slightly throttle on. The tendency we (all?) have when taken by surprise, is to throttle off or hit the picks...the effect of this is to either remove positive tracking on the tyres (would you do a tight corner with the clutch in?) or stand the bike up meaning you are going to run wide faster.
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    2005 Firestorm
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Deano View Post
    Ditto - I think I've only ever got it right once.

Actually - I was thinking of the right hander on the last passing lane on the Hutt side.
    Yeah same one...goes round to the right then sweeps up to the left aye....

Bike
    BMWR1100RS,
    Quote Originally Posted by MSTRS View Post
    The tendency we (all?) have when taken by surprise, is to throttle off or hit the picks...the effect of this is to either remove positive tracking on the tyres (would you do a tight corner with the clutch in?) or stand the bike up meaning you are going to run wide faster.
    Guilty your honour. But it gets so tight, I can't lean my lard over that far, well I can but him so scary.
    Oh bugger

Thread Information