Page 4 of 516 FirstFirst ... 234561454104504 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 7730

Thread: Nelson Rideouts - Where next?

  1. #46
    Join Date
    28th July 2008 - 20:56
    Bike
    01 DRZ400, 92 r100GSPD
    Location
    Tasman, Nelson
    Posts
    439
    Just got confirmation that the mighty PD is aloud to join in the fun
    we'll def be going over the mungatapu in the morning . Are there any other women joining the ride? (other than those taking the easy way )

  2. #47
    Join Date
    7th February 2007 - 23:38
    Bike
    F800GS
    Location
    My place
    Posts
    3,338
    Mr and Mrs jatz will be attending, taking the road route to get there and leaving about 7:30 (which will prolly be a bit closer to 8)

  3. #48
    Join Date
    15th August 2004 - 17:52
    Bike
    KTM 2T & LC4
    Location
    Rather be riding
    Posts
    3,326
    FCUK! FCUK! FCUK! No XC for me this weekend. The 2T was pretty noisy last ride, I've pulled the cylinder to investigate and the big-end has distintegrated... lots of free play and fine metallic grit everywhere. Looks like I can save the cylinder but needs a new big-end and top-end kit. FCUK!

    So I should probably come out and play on Saturday.
    Cheers,
    Colin

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
    All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.

  4. #49
    Join Date
    2nd March 2004 - 13:00
    Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Location
    Nelson
    Posts
    14,471
    Quote Originally Posted by warewolf View Post
    FCUK! FCUK! FCUK! No XC for me this weekend. The 2T was pretty noisy last ride, I've pulled the cylinder to investigate and the big-end has distintegrated... lots of free play and fine metallic grit everywhere. Looks like I can save the cylinder but needs a new big-end and top-end kit. FCUK!

    So I should probably come out and play on Saturday.
    Thank goodness it's not a 4T.

    Looks like Shane can relax a bit on Sunday then.

  5. #50
    Join Date
    15th August 2004 - 17:52
    Bike
    KTM 2T & LC4
    Location
    Rather be riding
    Posts
    3,326
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    Thank goodness it's not a 4T.
    Parts bill could still top $1500 to buy KTM stuff in NZ, extrapolating from US prices.

    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    Looks like Shane can relax a bit on Sunday then.
    and why not? I will be!
    Cheers,
    Colin

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
    All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.

  6. #51
    Join Date
    5th August 2008 - 19:53
    Bike
    2009 Kawasaki KLX250S
    Location
    Blenheim
    Posts
    237
    Cheers for the info. Hard to commit to organised rideout times etc, as I'm pretty busy and just get out while I can. Hopefully, should be easier to plan rides closer to Xmas.
    One question re tyre pressures - what are you guys running front and rear during these wet times? I'm running 22 psi both tyres, but find the front a bit 'skittery' on rocks/tight gravel. Maybe lower front to 18-odd?
    Finally, this is the 1st new bike Ive owned since a new XR200 in 1982!
    The recommended Kawi break-in says under 4000rpms for the first 800kms and under 6000rpms for the next 800. Personally, I find that a bit over the top (would drive me nuts). Ive currently done 200kms and took it pretty easy for the first 120kms. I'm now giving it plenty of variance on different terrain, going up and down all the gears, avoiding 'lugging' and varying rev range up to about 5,500 - 6,000 without thrashing it. Basically, sticking to the school of thought that you should break it in how you intend to ride it i.e don't baby it, dont redline/thrash it. Im also going to change filter/oil and 400-500kms, instead of waiting until the recommended 1,000km first service (when I'll get oil/filter changed again. What do you guys reckon - am I doing the right thing in regards to break-in? Cheers - and enjoy your ride this weekend!

  7. #52
    Join Date
    26th January 2008 - 07:37
    Bike
    91 R80GS
    Location
    Nelson
    Posts
    5,225
    Sounds about what I'm doing Thommo on the new KLR. Going in for my 1000K service today hopefully. The only thing I've found is that you may need to loctite & tighten all the bolts you can as many of min have vibrated undone over tracks like Maunga.

    from what I've read re breaking in Kawas you should get rid of that factory oil as soon as & put some good mineral oil in.

  8. #53
    Join Date
    30th March 2007 - 18:18
    Bike
    KLR650 WR450
    Location
    Kapiti
    Posts
    2,665
    Quote Originally Posted by warewolf View Post
    FCUK! FCUK! FCUK! No XC for me this weekend. The 2T was pretty noisy last ride, I've pulled the cylinder to investigate and the big-end has distintegrated... lots of free play and fine metallic grit everywhere. Looks like I can save the cylinder but needs a new big-end and top-end kit. FCUK!

    So I should probably come out and play on Saturday.
    Bummer

    how many hours you got on that thing?

    I thought the 200's were super reliable?

  9. #54
    Join Date
    15th August 2004 - 17:52
    Bike
    KTM 2T & LC4
    Location
    Rather be riding
    Posts
    3,326
    Quote Originally Posted by marks View Post
    how many hours you got on that thing?

    I thought the 200's were super reliable?
    Not many, 78 hrs, 2750km. Yes, it is quite unexpected and I can't find any similar experiences documented online (but search results are a 'noisy channel')... at least not for KTMs.

    Dollars may not be as bad as first thought, the plunge in the 'south pacific rouble' will ease the comparison.
    Cheers,
    Colin

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
    All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.

  10. #55
    Join Date
    15th August 2004 - 17:52
    Bike
    KTM 2T & LC4
    Location
    Rather be riding
    Posts
    3,326
    Quote Originally Posted by thommo77 View Post
    The recommended Kawi break-in says under 4000rpms for the first 800kms and under 6000rpms for the next 800. Personally, I find that a bit over the top (would drive me nuts).
    1000rpm higher at 100km sooner - quote from an industry insider - if you are doing it 'by the book'. There is also the mototune method.

    Changing oil at 100km is most useful, rumour has it there's more particulate matter generated in that very first interval than through the next 900km. Exponential decay curve, not linear.
    Cheers,
    Colin

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
    All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.

  11. #56
    Join Date
    5th August 2008 - 19:53
    Bike
    2009 Kawasaki KLX250S
    Location
    Blenheim
    Posts
    237
    Thanks for that. Any suggestions on oil brand? Obviuosly motorbike specific and not synthetic. Also, I notice SuperCheap have pre-oiled oil filters. Anyone tried these?

  12. #57
    Join Date
    26th January 2008 - 07:37
    Bike
    91 R80GS
    Location
    Nelson
    Posts
    5,225
    Be a bit wary of the oil. After reading the very thorough breakin procedure at KLR650.net I stipulated to the dealer that I wanted to put in Shell Rotella - a diesel oil recommended due to the lack of Moly in the oil. They came back & said they would void the warrantee if it went in the engine.

    We settled on Castrol mineral bike specific oil. I guess Catrol have been around & got a pretty good rep. Amsol is another brand recommended from the Stateside websites but unsure if you can get it here.


    Is your KLX road legal? They look like grouse bikes.

    Took the Filco scorpio 225 demo out while they serviced Gonzo today - what a cool little bike. Talk about fun. Goes to show you don't have to have a big bike to have a good time

  13. #58
    Join Date
    7th February 2007 - 23:38
    Bike
    F800GS
    Location
    My place
    Posts
    3,338
    Brand new kenda k760 installed this afternoon, bit sketchy on the wet seal, locks up under engine braking gunna have to watch that.
    Goes good on gravel so far, great on vege gardens and front lawns (don't have to mow that bit for a while)
    Quite a bit noisier than the slicks too, bring on tomorrow

  14. #59
    Join Date
    2nd March 2004 - 13:00
    Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Location
    Nelson
    Posts
    14,471
    Quote Originally Posted by warewolf View Post
    Not many, 78 hrs, 2750km. Yes, it is quite unexpected and I can't find any similar experiences documented online (but search results are a 'noisy channel')... at least not for KTMs.

    Dollars may not be as bad as first thought, the plunge in the 'south pacific rouble' will ease the comparison.
    The price for a complete crank assembly may not be much more...

  15. #60
    Join Date
    11th July 2008 - 20:05
    Bike
    Agent Orange
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    915
    Quote Originally Posted by JATZ View Post
    Brand new kenda k760 installed this afternoon, bit sketchy on the wet seal, locks up under engine braking gunna have to watch that.
    Goes good on gravel so far, great on vege gardens and front lawns (don't have to mow that bit for a while)
    Quite a bit noisier than the slicks too, bring on tomorrow
    Yep, I got me a knobbly fitted today too (thanks Colin!). Trying out a Metzeler 6 Days Extreme, dot approved, just the ticket for the Mangatapu, but will be wary of it on the wet seal. See you lads Sat morn.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •