Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To those that own a Yamaha fj1200

Bike
    2002 BMW K1200 LT

To those that own a Yamaha fj1200

Hello there, I'm looking at buying one of these beasts and would like to chat to anyone who rides one, would like to know the good points/ bad points about them.

Bike
    Roadstar 1600 & Royal Star Venture
    Hi Mate,
    I own a (last model) FJ1200 ABS,
    What do you want to know bout em??? Rather than Me rambling on ad nauseum
    GrayWolf
    If the road to hell is paved with good intentions; and a man is judged by his deeds and his actions, why say it's the thought that counts? -GrayWolf

Bike
    2015 HD Street 500
    You will get relyability.
    I ride its grandfather the xs1100
    still going strong. 178k
    I see so many of those yammy 1200's around, never herd one rattle or seen one smoke yet. must be ok.
    To be old and wise, first you must be young and stupid.

Bike
    XJR 1300
    bullet proof......generally ......as with all things.if its been looked after it should cause no prob's....
    .xjr....."What's with all the lights"..officer..

Bike
    Well Wolfrider
    Opions about bikes are like bum holes, everyone's got one.
    I'll do my best to be honest as to owning an FJ. I am a 'full time' rider so use the bike 365.

Overall riding.
    They arent the 'fastest' for handling or performance. They're a 'Sport Tourer'. Highly suited to sweepers and maintaining high overall cruising speeds. Compared to the 'retro' GS1200SS Suzuki, they are a lot heavier at the bars for 'manhandling' through qick bends. (The GSX1200 was a sport bike of the same era). They are stable and hold a line very well though. If you ride using the 'system' (English Police driving method) through bends, the FJ is an excellent machine. Over a distance, you'll be the one NOT complaining of sore bum/wrists/back/neck and ready for another 500k stint.

Power delivery.
    More than adequate. (Sorry I have issues with 'this years model has 3bhp more and is better') It's an easy bike to ride, it has a very tractable and 'docile' engine; until you twist the loud grip!!. Docile? you need hardly any revs to pull away, it is that torquey. 2000rpm in 5th (top) is quite easy to hold and it will start to pull (gently) from there. by 3500rpm the motor is starting to get a noticable urge. Convert to 'open road' use at 100kph forget the gearbox, 100 - 180 (insert an 'I dont do it, honest' look here) the roll on acceleration is awesome. There are faster bikes but its the reality of do you need that extra 10th's of a second acceleration?
    The 1200 is no 'faster' (top speed) than the 1100 but it has a slightly better torque curve, the 1100 is still brilliant though. 2 up and loaded, FJ's pull like a train.
    Use the engines power through the gears, and it isnt really 'that slow' compared to newer bikes (remember this is a 20+ year old engine design). Over a 'standing 1/4' its probably a matter of half a second. Top end? well if you want to indulge in over 200k burn ups with other riders then forget the FJ, 200 is probably it's limit before its being pushed hard. (240max)
    If the road to hell is paved with good intentions; and a man is judged by his deeds and his actions, why say it's the thought that counts? -GrayWolf

Bike
    mutton dressed up as lamb and a 73 XL250
    PM FJRIDER,has some weird sexual tendencies but other than that seems ok,loves his FJ.......(refer weird sexual tendencies)
    Be the person your dog thinks you are...

Bike
    rf900
    i used to have an fj1100 a few years back and used it as my sole transport so did the commute to work and long trips as well. easy to ride , comfortable, don't need to downshift all the time to get anywhere. Can't fault them for reliability or longevity either. Yeah not the fastest round corners or the most powerful but great for real world riding. Really good for long trips pillions gear etc.

Bike
    OK a little more if ya aint bored yet!

Fairing is quite good, the 'kick up' screen on the late 1200's is a big improvement and worth getting via a breakers. Brakes? well mines 12 years old, and brake tech' has marched on, but considering the weight and purpose they are capable enough. ABS? this is a point of dissent, it is reportedly unreliable and some have disabled it, but I have 2 instances so far where the ABS has prevented me a possibly costly low speed drop. Get it checked at least once a year during a shop service, the mechanics love doing it, NOT!!
    Tyres? this can be an issue, especialy if you prefer radials, the rear tyre size is very limiting in choice. OEM horn? It's a strangled budgie :-S
    It seems the 1100's fork springs are a lil softer and the 'anti dive' was bloody useless.
    belly pan is made of instacrack plastic, be warned.

Economy? riding as an aged old fart does (generaly) I get around 280 - 300 km's from 18.5ltrs at a steady 100-110 on the open road. 110 = 4,000rpm. Headlight? Hmmm to me this is a small issue. the fairing mounting affects visibility round bends. Spotlights will help, but the square light's 'beam spread' improves with a higher power bulb. I change the oil filter every oil change and use semi synthetic 10/40. The O ring seal on the oil filter 'cartridge' needs an eye keeping. An area of 'neglect' is often the clutch fluid, I replaced mine and the 'crap' destroyed the slave cylinder piston seal. Fork seals are a 'weak point'? on the 1100's (1980's) not sure if they were improved on the 1200's
    (1990's).

Engine!
    change the oil and service correctly, this is a 200,000+ motor. they are strong and I'd agree bullet proof. A motor that was designed/produced in the early 80's and was still being made in a 1300cc guise (XJR naked, I think) in 2000+ speaks for itself more than any person can. It sounds a little noisy by modern standards (air cooled). Look for a low K's one (they are around, mine had less than 20,000 on it) and it should give you years of trouble free riding.
    The XS 1100 donk has only in the last few years been 'recognised' for its longevity, the FJ is right behind it.

Oh another 'minor gripe' the low fuel/reserve system; watch out on steepish hills when near the 'mark' it cuts out 2 cylinders electronicaly Grrrrrrr, you have to flick a switch to get em back.

Bike
    2002 BMW K1200 LT
    Thanks a lot Graywolf, good to know whats what about a bike( a lesson learnt the hard way). The FJ 1200 sounds like the bike for me been looking for something a bit more powerful than my current ride, since I do a bit of touring ( clock up at least 1200km a month), Looking forward to going to Palmerston North on one.

Bike
    BMWR1100RS,
    I've had five of them over the years and done a besquillion miles on them.In my opinion they have to be one of the top five bikes ever made.

I agree with pretty much all that's been written above but just to add my experience......

Performance: It's a mile eater extraordinere, it cruises faster than you'll ever need. I've seen a standing quarter of 11 seconds dead reported although more often recorded 11.3. Top speed I got was 155 mph, that's err circa 248 KPH. Over distance is where it's a clear winner, It just keeps on pulling from virtually nothing to star trek blurriness, all day every day.

Handling: later models are best, anti dive is pointless and bounces like crazy, soon biffed by Yamaha. They can be a bit wallowy when hustled on the limit, it's a big weighty package to flick around and can get out of shape, however I always found this predictable, the FJ let's you know when your taking the piss. More tour than sport but remember that and you'll have no issues.

I put progressive springs and lighter fork oil in my last FJ and it transformed the handling.

Comfort: this side of a BMW hardly anything comes close, all day comfort, although some fit bar risers to get a bit more upright and relieve the wrist strain a bit.

Reliability: Top of the class. All I've had with five Fjs over many years and many many miles is, one warped brake disc and one float bowl stuck, the latter requiring a gentle tap with a mallet handle to free up. They all tick from the left hand side when hot ? dunno why but nothing to worry about. In short bullet proof.

So to sum up. Get the latest model you can which I think is the 3xw? from memory. The one with the funky shaped screen anyway. Check the brakes up front thoroughly for warpishness and the exhaust collector box it ain't stainless, change the oil regularly and enjoy a long, fast and happy relationship. FJs man
    Oh bugger

Bike
    2002 BMW K1200 LT
    Got my eye on 3 FJ's at the moment, 2 1991 models and a 1989 model, I love the fact that i can leave it in top gear in 50km zone and give the throttle a little twist and get up to 100ks in a few seconds

Bike
    2007 Suzuki GSX1400 & 1990 Yamaha FJ1200
    Blog Entries
    Fat Jacks Rule !!!

I've owned two and wouldnt have brought another EXCEPT I managed to drop a piston through some "act of GOD" and found it tough getting parts.....(a definate downside if something does happen) I was Gutted.....When I saw another come up i literally jumped at it and the rest is history.....I Hope

My days of riding have never been about " knee down in the corners"..... although I've heard stories that FJ's have been known to perform with the right kind of rider..........

If Long all day enjoyable rides....ready to get up and eat more k's and still feel comfortable enough to be able to do it are you, THEN an FJ1200 is the answer.....sure there are other great bikes around but for 4-5k you'll get ya monies worth

FJ HARD
    I ask for nothing but to ride where ever the road calls

Bike
    FJ1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfrider View Post
    Got my eye on 3 FJ's at the moment, 2 1991 models and a 1989 model, I love the fact that i can leave it in top gear in 50km zone and give the throttle a little twist and get up to 100ks in a few seconds
    Get that eye of yours on this:
    http://ride.net.nz/find.html?v=47
    ABS, low kms, lotsa luggage and also the screen type that Graywolf mentions.

I believe one of those 1991's you mention is in Pukekohe anyway, so if you come down to take a look at it, take mine for a ride while you're at it.

Bike
    GL1800
    I loved my grey import FJ12, heaps of grunt - I had to keep reminding myself to button off when passing a line of cars - I would often over shoot them! I'd be happy to step off the ST for one again.
    "If you haven't grown up by the time you turn 50, you don't have to!"

Bike
    Hows the hunt going Wolfrider........
    Just an UPdate re owning.
    Conti Road Attack, IMO no no no no!! lasted 9,000km's and I dont ride hard very often. The local dealer who fitted it looked at the tyre.
    Had worn a 'flat' in the centre and was noticably 'roughed up' . Conti's run about 3lbs higher pressure than a standard tyre. The dealers opinion was too heavy for the tyre it had simply chewed it up.
    I'm now trying an IHC front tyre...... not as super grippy I'd guess, but seems to be handling the FJ weight better.

Thread Information