Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice for a visitor

Bike
    2007 Harley Davidson Road King Custom

Advice for a visitor

Hello all!

I am planning on a trip to NZ from Seattle. I am so excited about riding the backroads, seeing the beautiful scenery, and making new friends. I'll be coming in the January to March timeframe and plan to take 2 weeks riding both islands. Would love to get input on the following:

1. best time to come for weather/crowds (I am not that interested in going to the big cities. Want to see the scenery and back roads)

2. best options for lodging (looks like the bike rental will be 2000-3000 USD so am interested in economy not luxury.)

3. best way to hook up with local folks to join on rides

4. best options for renting (looking for touring bikes...I'm too short for Beemers!)

I've got a book on the best rides in NZ and thought I would just link them together. I'm into the scenery but also love twisty roads. I have a 2007 Road King Custom and love it when I get a chance to scrape the floor boards!

I also love good beer and would love to hear about the better hangouts!

Thanks all!

Laura
    aka VTwinChick

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT650R
    Hi Laura,

You will have fun in NZ. Post stories and pictures in this forum, and you will triple your friends, as site members welcome you into their homes etc. Many many visitors to NZ go home with a tear in their eye after having done this, and some never go home at all. Kiwis are always keen to meet visitors here doing the bike touring thing.

Feb-March would be really great for weather, and to dodge the crowds. Avoid early January.

There are plenty of backpackers places to stay here. The countryside is literally scattered with them, and many of them have a unique flavour.

What is your first, second, and third choice for a rental bike? What end of the country would you rather collect it from? You can outright purchase a reasonable bike for US$2-3k.

Steve
    "I am a licenced motorcycle instructor, I agree with dangerousbastard, no point in repeating what he said."
    "read what Steve says. He's right."
    "What Steve said pretty much summed it up."
    "I did axactly as you said and it worked...!!"
    "Wow, Great advise there DB."
    WTB: Hyosung bikes or going or not.

Bike
    hmx 500
    MAKE SURE TO DO THE CORRO LOOP
    DUCATI ALL THE WAY!!!

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by DUCATI*HARD View Post
    MAKE SURE TO DO THE CORRO LOOP
    Make sure you do it during the week while all the tuggers that think they can ride are at work.

Bike
    Trumph Trophy
    Hi there sounds like a great holiday you will will lots of places to stay and lots of riding and beer drink buddies when you get to Taranaki.
    To do something well is so worth while that to die trying to it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of a life to do nothing with ones ability, for I feel life is not measured in achievement, not in years alone. BRUCE MCLAREN

Bike
    :-( none at present
    Welcome hope you enjoy your stay here in NZ.
    If you are behind meDont ask as I am lost too.

Bike
    2011 ER-6N
    Xena! You must that show was made here then.
    Buying a bike might be a good idea to save money if you're looking at a grand or two to rent anyway. (Not sure how much it is)

Bike
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by VTwinChick View Post
    I'm into the scenery but also love twisty roads. I have a 2007 Road King Custom and love it when I get a chance to scrape the floor boards!
    Wouldn't even have to leave the main highway to do that here.

Sever
    Now and forever
    you're just another lost soul about to be mine again
    see her, you'll never free her
    you must surrender it all
    And give life to me again
    Disturbed - Inside the Fire

Bike
    Z900
    enjoy your time in nz. and be sure to cruz the crown range if you are in central otago
    "your car is boring"

Bike
    Anything I can straddle
    Hello all!

I am planning on a trip to NZ from Seattle. I am so excited about riding the backroads, seeing the beautiful scenery, and making new friends. I'll be coming in the January to March timeframe and plan to take 2 weeks riding both islands. Would love to get input on the following:

1. best time to come for weather/crowds (I am not that interested in going to the big cities. Want to see the scenery and back roads)

2. best options for lodging (looks like the bike rental will be 2000-3000 USD so am interested in economy not luxury.)

4. best options for renting (looking for touring bikes...I'm too short for Beemers!)

I've got a book on the best rides in NZ and thought I would just link them together. I'm into the scenery but also love twisty roads. I have a 2007 Road King Custom and love it when I get a chance to scrape the floor boards!

I also love good beer and would love to hear about the better hangouts!

Thanks all!

Laura
    aka VTwinChick
    Laura,

Get in touch with the KB member Korumba.

He is in your city at the moment and knowing him he will be able to give you a good idea of rides and such in this country.

He has been based out of your city for the past 3 months now whiule riding up and down the west coast.
    "When you think of it,

Lifes a bowl of ....MERDE"

Bike
    2006 Honda VTX 1300
    Quote Originally Posted by fatzx10r View Post
    enjoy your time in nz. and be sure to cruz the crown range if you are in central otago
    Hawdy VTwinChick & welcome. The south island is an awesome place to ride with lots to see & the crown range is a must do. Heres some pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sth island 144.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	146.7 KB 
ID:	108825   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sth island 145.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	140.7 KB 
ID:	108826  
    Im not as good as I ones was
    But Im as good ones as I ever was

Bike
    XJR 1300
    and getting your floorboard down...well most kiwis enjoy trying to get knees down... lol...and yup plenty of backpackers or post an plenty of spare beds open up...however don't be afraid to spend plenty of time cause its a little place with a-plenty to enjoy..
    .xjr....."What's with all the lights"..officer..

Bike
    Pushie .....
    Quote Originally Posted by DangerousBastard View Post
    What is your first, second, and third choice for a rental bike? What end of the country would you rather collect it from? You can outright purchase a reasonable bike for US$2-3k.

Steve
    Especially with the dollar heading south to 50 cents real quick, that would give you $4000 - $6000 NZD to buy one and sell it on your departure.

If you head over toe the East Cape ..... Gisborne way ..... can sort you out some diggs .....
    On Time .... In Spec .... On Budget .... Yeah Right!

Bike
    '07 RSVR1000
    We stayed in Top 10 cabins when we toured the South Island in March this year. They're good facilities and reasonably priced.

February can be one of the hottest months of the year. March generally has good weather and reasonable temperatures that don't make you melt in your leathers.

If I only had two weeks to tour NZ, I'd spent the majority of my time down south. In my opinion, the scenery and roads are far superior to the North Island.

Bike
    2014 Ducati Diavel
    Hello all!

I am planning on a trip to NZ from Seattle. I am so excited about riding the backroads, seeing the beautiful scenery, and making new friends. I'll be coming in the January to March timeframe and plan to take 2 weeks riding both islands.
    Well this thread looks like its been hijacked for use as a personal shit slinging competition between Bob and Duc... what a shame - If this was my thread I would be rethinking my decision about coming over...!

Not all of us kiwis are playground name callers VTwin Chick.

In answer to some of your questions.

Anywhere in the Jan - March timeframe would be perfect, its Summer here then and the weather is usually great. School Holidays finish here around the end of Jan / beginning of Feb so if you want to miss out on all the schoolkids hanging around then come after that.

Backpackers & Hostels are widely available throughout NZ and can be found easily with a copy of the "Jasons Travel Guide" which you can get for free once you arrive... most Car hire places / motels etc have them. Or... make friends here on KB and you may be able to get free stays for parts of your journey...

If your into riding Cruisers, check out this site... http://www.nzcruisergroup.co.nz and perhaps look at joining as a temporary member, they're good guys and keen to join other Cruiser fanatics for rides in their areas.

Check out this site... it lists all the companies that hire Motorbikes in NZ and gives their web addresses / email etc.
    http://www.travelplanner.co.nz/transport/motorcycle.cfm

Hope this helps...
    www.albeephoto.blogspot.com

DuuuuuCaaaaaaTiiiiiiiiiiii

Thread Information