Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Motard fuel range/extension

Bike
    2013 GSXR-1300 Hayabusa

Motard fuel range/extension

Hey guys,

Just a quick question for you guys and girls that ride road motards. What sort of fuel range do you get off a tank? With the road motards have the manufacturers increased fuel tank size or just left it at normal mx size. Anyone know of any modification to increase fuel tank size. Just curious as a motard would be one of the best bikes to ride around nz, sick through the twisties and it can handles the massive amounts of potholes, bad road conditions and gravel roads.

Oh and has anyone replaced the seat with something more comfortable for their road motar. Thanks for the info, I'm just doing a little research at the moment, their is a husky 610 that looks the shiznic where I work, it teases me every day.

Bike
    Tuono R , SD900
    ome tank dosn't get you to far( see profile pic ) , so i bought this . but for touring i'd be buying an xtx660 if you going around nz, Husky if you broke anything you can wait up to 3-4 months anything jap usuall 6 days max ex japan, and finding a husky shops around nz good luck vs yamaha would be 25/1 yamaha
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00418.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	275.3 KB 
ID:	108727   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	47687609_full.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	58.2 KB 
ID:	108728  

Bike
    Austrian and Italian
    KTM 690SM - 13.5 litre tank. Does 25km/l on the open road and 20km/l hooning around.

So open road, 12 Litres will get me 300km (auck to taupo).
    Hooning 12 Litres will get me 240km.

I average about 240km on 11Litres (when fuel light comes on) commuting and zipping around.

It's excellent.

Bike
    eMpTy 10
    Same as Devil here, same bike too, lol.

Got just under 22km/l on the bike with a mix of riding, mostly commuting.

The DRZ has a small tank but as orangeback says, there are many after-market plastic ones around.

Ask Mikkel (I think) about the Husky 610. He has a grey one.... He should be able to give some owners perspectives.....

The 610 is Huskys long ride, comfy, reliable version, so suppose the seat should be okay....

Bike
    2013 GSXR-1300 Hayabusa
    ahh I see, yeah the husky is the perfect size for me, I have a sit on it in my lunch breaks haha, i like the ktm but ohh so expensive for a student , even the lc4s (the previous model i believe?) are expensive second hand. The xt660x i hear is nice but a bit big and heavy no?...will have to test ride me thinks someday. I dunno it kinda sparked on me that a motard is the best of a lot of worlds and would be a sick commuter too.

Bike
    eMpTy 10
    The XT is heavy and underpowered IMO....

Even my 690 SM is on the porky side. A motard shouldn't be heavy. The 690 SMC is 139.5 kg and the 610 is 142kg's I believe. That's probably as heavy as it should be, to be a reliable, long service machine....

That Husky is sweet, I must say... If you can get good support by working for them, I'd say it's an awesome buy... Just do some research on them. From my reading they were good. About the only thing you had to keep an eye on, was the cam chain tensioner and chain. 10k intervals for those... And that's replace....
    There's a reed block on the side of the cases, which can be ground away by a worn chain, so as long as you know your bike and the sounds it makes, you'll be good to go...
    Thumpertalk was a good source of info.... Mostly motor related but that's more what info you want to know anyway...

Bike
    '04 300 EXC
    i get 150-170ks on a tank in the DRZ (before i have to switch to reserve) then maybe another 30ks before she's dry. definately not a comfy cruiser but a commuting weapon for sure
    http://picasaweb.google.com/kezzafish
    My pics of some trail rides and events in the lower north island
    And check out our commercial Photography site for any other photographic needs
    http://www.fishpattie.com

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    KTM 690SM - 13.5 litre tank. Does 25km/l on the open road and 20km/l hooning around.

It's excellent.
    Just don't get anything bigger... bigger stuff LIKES gas (couldn't be the way I'm riding could it? )
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Austrian and Italian
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Just don't get anything bigger... bigger stuff LIKES gas (couldn't be the way I'm riding could it? )
    Still haven't got proof you've actually got it...

Oh and Al, that porkiness of the SM is pretty much cured almost to SMC weight when you biff the exhaust for a single system.
    151kg --> 142kg. Plus take into account the larger tank...

When I get back from Rarotonga i'll be investigating the SC-project single system

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries

When I get back from Rarotonga i'll be investigating the SC-project single system
    I'm reasonably sure I have it...

Stock systems are terrible, spesh if they have the cats in them. I dropped around 6kg going to an aftermarket system (still twin pipe)
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    eMpTy 10

Oh and Al, that porkiness of the SM is pretty much cured almost to SMC weight when you biff the exhaust for a single system.
    151kg --> 142kg. Plus take into account the larger tank...

Man, I have internal conflict daily about that pipe... At this stage, it's pretty iminent for me to buy it, lol.... I did some overtime last week, so just waiting to see how much it comes to, then I'll make the decision...

One thing about the pipe... I imagine the bike will need another map, so the fuel economy will suffer for it...... BUT, I could live with that, lol....

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AlBundy View Post
    One thing about the pipe... I imagine the bike will need another map, so the fuel economy will suffer for it...... BUT, I could live with that, lol....
    Depends who you get to do it, but they should load another map for you.

Only problem is that most maps are for other parts of the world, our fuel is a bit different, so it generally runs rich.

*sigh* I see a custom tune coming on

Bike
    eMpTy 10
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Depends who you get to do it, but they should load another map for you.

Only problem is that most maps are for other parts of the world, our fuel is a bit different, so it generally runs rich.

*sigh* I see a custom tune coming on
    Probably KTM... Most guys get the Akra map loaded. I'll probably still keep the quiet insert, so whether it'll work properly is debatable...

I'll have to chat to KTM and see what other maps they have... It may just work with one of the other maps, since I've heard there may be a normal and extreme map, for these. Still to be confirmed, mind you...

This pipe will be mainly for weight loss and looks. Power is secondary really as long as the rideability is good...

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AlBundy View Post
    Probably KTM... Most guys get the Akra map loaded. I'll probably still keep the quiet insert, so whether it'll work properly is debatable...
    If you are getting the wings, the install notes specifically say that using an akrapovic map is fine

No insert, and they are seriously loud, I took my inserts out, and wanted to put them back in, except the screws had fallen into the endcaps (don't ask, a lot of foul language was duly dispatched). I had to take the pipes off to get the bolts back, but the inserts won't come out again.

The bike will respond better without inserts, breathes better, more power etc, but it makes you a mad hooligan through traffic (don't ask... again )

Bike
    2013 GSXR-1300 Hayabusa
    did a bit of research and am pretty impressed with the sort of motards available but theyre pretty expensive , dunno if you can get a motard within under 10k lol. The ktm 690 is sexy especiially the prestige model..yum. A workmate has a 990 superduke with akraprovic pipes...you can hear it from miles away and it'll make you a man standing next to it haha.

Thread Information