Page 52 of 52 FirstFirst ... 242505152

Thread: Fast and Safe

Bike
    SV1000s
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose
    But with out a speed limit, there is the element of opinion, and you sure as hell aint going to admit what you did could be dangerous, right? See, the way Alan put it, you would just about have to wait for someone to do it wrong before you could prove it was dangerous/stupid or what ever, at least with fixed speed limits its cut and dried, you either did or did not speed.
    Maybe I'm coming at this from another direction. If Fast and Safe is genuinely advocating "no limits" then..... :shrug: I don't want to drive on those roads either.

In general I don't have problem with the system that we have. I think some limits could be higher, I think existing limits should be policed according to road safety requirements rather than by arbitrary thresholds set by budget controlling beauracrats and I think the fixed penalty system should be binned.
    "There must be a one-to-one correspondence between left and right parentheses, with each left parenthesis to the left of its corresponding right parenthesis."

Bike
    Cali 111 Guzzi
    Quote Originally Posted by Clockwork
    Maybe I'm coming at this from another direction. If Fast and Safe is genuinely advocating "no limits" then..... :shrug: I don't want to drive on those roads either.

In general I don't have problem with the system that we have. I think some limits could be higher, I think existing limits should be policed according to road safety requirements rather than by arbitrary thresholds set by budget controlling beauracrats and I think the fixed penalty system should be binned.

Have you heard the complaints about variations in the speed limit as it is, 50 to 100 and steps between. And imagine the cries of, what sign, I never saw it, jeeeeezus, why dont they just have the one speed and save all the hassle.

Bike
    SV1000s
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose
    Have you heard the complaints about variations in the speed limit as it is, 50 to 100 and steps between. And imagine the cries of, what sign, I never saw it, jeeeeezus, why dont they just have the one speed and save all the hassle.
    Have you seen the limits in Queensland, they change every couple of hundred metres and they will lowers the limits on a highway around intersections..... you gotta keep your eyes open.... but then if your going fast that's probably a good idea.

No offense but to my mind what you've suggested enables drivers to stick their thumb up their bums and put their minds in neutral . This may simplify policing but will it make the roads safer?
    "There must be a one-to-one correspondence between left and right parentheses, with each left parenthesis to the left of its corresponding right parenthesis."

Bike
    So old you won't care
    Quote Originally Posted by speedpro
    I would have to disagree about chances to pull over. I used to drive the ute with trailer from Wellington to Ohakea and back every month or so. Sometimes I'd just cruise along at 80Kmh and other drivers would collect behind me. There was plenty of opportunity to pull over and let them past which I did. Seldom would I get more than 4-5 behind before the opportunity to pull over came along. I'd consider this piece of road pretty typical of NZ roads in this regard.

Occassionally someone would be reluctant to take the oppurtunity to overtake when I had pulled over but was still doing 80kmh. Slamming the brakes on would result in them overtaking before they sometimes had time to react, good for a laugh. Following drivers would go past tooting and laughing.
    Yes! That works on Shw1

However on roads like the paekakareiki hill road i have to spot a good place well in advance and really drive into it and brake aggresively and come to a complete stop to make it. Usually mr fuckwit XR man is already right up my arse so it actually can cause a problem.

No worries pulling over but pulling off the road completely and coming to a halt is a big ask.

So I have no worries on bigger straighter roads, it the little country roads were you have to be bloody careful pulling over.

Paul N

Thread Information