Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is this bike a classic Jap bike

Bike
    XR500

Is this bike a classic Jap bike

The Yamaha TT500 started production in 1976 through to 1981.
    The bikes were vertually the same from year to year with colour being the major difference.

I agree that pre 1980 is the cut off point for classic bikes

but what about the 1981 Yamaha TT500H
    its the same bike as the 79 and 1980 Yamaha TT500's except for its colour would it be classed as a classic since it is the same bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12 Davids TT500H.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	591.3 KB 
ID:	112902  

Bike
    1999 GSXR1100W, 1975 CT90
    I don't think 'classic bikes' should be pre-1980. The first GSXR750 is regarded as a classic. My VFR400 is almost one. Any bike that after a fair few years is still well known by most bikers as a bike that was good, cool looking or had character, I would consider it to be a classic. Since bikes get replaced with newer models regularly, it speaks volumes if a particular model is remembered.

Put I suppose crap bikes pre-1980 can be considered classic whereas crap later models can't be

The TT is not a crap bike. I reckon it's a classic. The one on the photo is a very nice example.

Bike
    XR500
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyote View Post
    I don't think 'classic bikes' should be pre-1980. The first GSXR750 is regarded as a classic. My VFR400 is almost one. Any bike that after a fair few years is still well known by most bikers as a bike that was good, cool looking or had character, I would consider it to be a classic. Since bikes get replaced with newer models regularly, it speaks volumes if a particular model is remembered.

Put I suppose crap bikes pre-1980 can be considered classic whereas crap later models can't be

The TT is not a crap bike. I reckon it's a classic. The one on the photo is a very nice example.
    Yes interesting, can't wait to hear more opinions

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    Yes. It is the vibe of the bike that counts not the year. A brand new Ural would be a classic.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    Various
    There was some talk of this in another thread, but it seems to be generally accepted amongst the anoraks that 25 years is where the line is drawn for classics, so that would put your bike in automatically.
    Coyote makes a good point that there are some bikes younger than the norm that have all the qualities of a classic.

Edit: And thinking about it it's only a few weeks and that '84 GSX-R750 will qualify too.....

Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? ...He's a mile away and you've got his shoes

Bike
    2015 HD Street 500
    I think it should be classed as a classic, ok it was manufactured in 81, but as you put it the model started in 76, and 81 was the end of the production run for this model of bike, so its a 76 model produced in 81, that makes it a classic, if that makes sence.
    To be old and wise, first you must be young and stupid.

Bike
    XR500
    Quote Originally Posted by cs363 View Post
    There was some talk of this in another thread, but it seems to be generally accepted amongst the anoraks that 25 years is where the line is drawn for classics, so that would put your bike in automatically.
    Coyote makes a good point that there are some bikes younger than the norm that have all the qualities of a classic.
    Good to hear all these views but I would love to here why my 1981 Yamaha TT500H isn't, poke me in the eye

Bike
    XR500
    Quote Originally Posted by Subike View Post
    I think it should be classed as a classic, ok it was manufactured in 81, but as you put it the model started in 76, and 81 was the end of the production run for this model of bike, so its a 76 model produced in 81, that makes it a classic, if that makes sence.
    Man that was a very sensible answer, whoa blown away, at last I have found a forum where there a people who have sensible answers and not garbage from young boys or old men who havn't grown up.

Bike
    Various
    Quote Originally Posted by G-spot View Post
    Good to hear all these views but I would love to here why my 1981 Yamaha TT500H isn't, poke me in the eye
    Isn't? Hard to argue on the face of it - or are you referring obscurely to something else, like maybe...the pre-1981 class in VMX?

Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? ...He's a mile away and you've got his shoes

Bike
    1999 GSXR1100W, 1975 CT90
    Hang onto it long enough and it'll be a classic no question

Bike
    XR500
    Isn't? Hard to argue on the face of it - or are you referring obscurely to something else, like maybe...the pre-1981 class in VMX?
    Don't know much about VMX, whats that 1981 VMX all about

Bike
    XR500
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyote View Post
    Hang onto it long enough and it'll be a classic no question
    Thats what I keep telling my wife

Bike
    Various
    VMX - Vintage Motocross (http://www.vmx.livewire.gen.nz/)

I think some classic clubs still have a pre-1980 rule, whilst some work on the 25 year rule which seems the more sensible approach to me, seeing as time does not stand still.

Bike
    So old you won't care
    Silly and very loaded question - of course its a 'classic' but if someone has a pre 1980 rule for a particular race class and yours is an 81 - tough luck.... Those dates are arbitary but impossible to suit everyone.

Make a case to the rules committee, not KB...

Bike
    XR500
    VMX - Vintage Motocross (http://www.vmx.livewire.gen.nz/)

I think some classic clubs still have a pre-1980 rule, whilst some work on the 25 year rule which seems the more sensible approach to me, seeing as time does not stand still.
    Yes, that sounds logical but why 25 years why not 26,27,28,29 or even 30

Thread Information