Thread: Suspension settings for NC30?

Bike
    1990 Honda NC30

Suspension settings for NC30?

Hi guys... Just got a freshly imported '90 NC30... Having ridden bikes for awhile but never gotten into the finer (read: any) points of suspension adjustment, was wondering if you guys could point me in the right direction as far as what to turn and how much?

Feels pretty solid, but the front end is definitely a lot softer than I'd like, just a moderate amount of braking causes quite a bit of dive.

Anyhow- any help would be appreciated!

Bike
    '09 DR-Z400SM; '89 VFR400R, '78 RD350E
    First off, are your forks the fully adjustable ones, or the earlier forks?

Secondly - being a fresh import, I suppose you have no idea the last time the fork oil was replaced, and what weights they used? Could be well overdue some new oil!

Quote Originally Posted by White trash View Post
    I'm off to shoot a dairy owner and steal a hundred bucks from his till, if he dies, it's the dumb curries fault for not wearing a bullet proof vest.
    Quote Originally Posted by maddad View Post
    New Zealand, where cows are happy, men are men, sheep are nervous and horses are fast because they heard about the sheep.

Bike
    mutton dressed up as lamb and a 73 XL250
    Suspenders are a pretty complicated thing mate hence suitably qualified people get pretty good money for there advice,there must be one in Wellington or close my advice would be to find them and shell out for some of his time,wont cost that much and you will get far better results than reading endless "my brothers best mate did this blah blah bullshit" on the interweb.On here you may well find someone who knows what there on about the problem is is seperating them from those who wouldnt have a clue.
    Be the person your dog thinks you are...

Bike
    Vespa 550
    Quote Originally Posted by 98tls View Post
    Suspenders are a pretty complicated thing mate hence suitably qualified people get pretty good money for there advice,there must be one in Wellington or close my advice would be to find them and shell out for some of his time,wont cost that much and you will get far better results than reading endless "my brothers best mate did this blah blah bullshit" on the interweb.On here you may well find someone who knows what there on about the problem is is seperating them from those who wouldnt have a clue.
    yea thats solid advice. PLus everyones unique and theres no primo setup. as a general the bike will be very soft (and ridiculously so if your over about 75kgs). As a fresh import its likely to need a good service front and rear. Respringing for your weight will make a nice difference too. Once you've got the bike sprung right you kinda just have to have a fiddle and see how much adjustment you've got and what floats your boat.

On the road ive always found just riding to be worth more than bothering too much with suspension (set your static heights and rough it out and leave it alone is my method). If you take it to the track you suddenly discover the massive shortcomings of the stock suspension.

Bike
    1990 Honda NC30
    Thanks for all the advice so far! Sounds like taking it somewhere is the best way to go, and possibly having a fluid flush at the same time. I'm about 80kg with gear on, so sounds like that might have a bit to do with it.

As far as it being fully adjustable, from what I've read it's just the back shock that varies depending on age and not the fronts correct? I think the Showa is the adjustable one? Pretty sure I have the other one.

Would definitely like to get on the track at some point, so probably worth spending some money making sure the stock stuff is in good nick before i do. Don't think I'll ever be serious enough to justify race aftermarket stuff, assuming you can get it for these?

Bike
    Prolight 250,XR4hundy
    The right weight front springs for you & a heavier oil will make a big differance....Id suggest that if you get someone to change your fork oil then spend the money & get the seals done too....
    The Heart is the drum keeping time for everyone....

Bike
    Vespa 550
    Quote Originally Posted by nerve2 View Post
    Thanks for all the advice so far! Sounds like taking it somewhere is the best way to go, and possibly having a fluid flush at the same time. I'm about 80kg with gear on, so sounds like that might have a bit to do with it.

As far as it being fully adjustable, from what I've read it's just the back shock that varies depending on age and not the fronts correct? I think the Showa is the adjustable one? Pretty sure I have the other one.

Would definitely like to get on the track at some point, so probably worth spending some money making sure the stock stuff is in good nick before i do. Don't think I'll ever be serious enough to justify race aftermarket stuff, assuming you can get it for these?
    if you take it to the track youll need to at least bump up the rear ride height. Or youll grind through the pegs real quick. If your gonna go out to the track look at a aftermarket shock. doesn't need to be the flashest but something with decent damping adjustment and the improved right height are handy

Thread Information