Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Newbie from UK

Bike
    SV650SK3

Newbie from UK

Hi there, I am a female owner of a sv650sk3.
    I've joined this forum as I have just started the process of emmigrating to New Zealand. I say just started as I am only looking at requirements of getting in etc, got all the hard work of actually moving there to come.
    Also planning on coming over for a touring holiday very soon, so was wondering what places did bike hire and also what areas are particularly good for biking

Bike
    none
    Imagrant from the states here, as far as best parts of the country for riding have to say the whole country. Just has great roads, none of them too straight but not over curvy though there are plenty or roads with lots of curves if you like that. As for rental I'm not sure where they are but I know there are some around.

Welcome to the site by the way, have a banana

Sever
    Now and forever
    you're just another lost soul about to be mine again
    see her, you'll never free her
    you must surrender it all
    And give life to me again
    Disturbed - Inside the Fire

Bike
    MG V11 Nero Corsa LeMans
    yeah welcome to KB, roads dont come much better than the ones here on a fine day... look up a ride report or two.
    As far as hireing a bike goes in Chch you can get the latest VFR800 or a BMW of some kind, there is more likely more of a choice up north.
    cheers DD
    (Definately Dodgy)

Bike
    Scorpio, XL1200N
    Quote Originally Posted by moggy
    Hi there, I am a female owner of a sv650sk3.
    A fine choice of chickwheels, there

Welcome to the forum.
    kiwibiker is full of love, an disrespect.
    - mikey

Bike
    GSXR600K3
    Hi moggy and welcome to the site.

I've had my invitation to apply for residence and doing the medicals, checks etc now to apply by April to hopefully arrive in September. I'm no expert, but if my experience can help I'll try just ask

There seem to be quite a few hire places come up on a google, but I'll let the natives name their favourites :spudwave:

Bike
    SV650SK3
    Thanks guys
    and my husband also has a SV650SK3 and we have a very ratty rat trike as well.

Bike
    SV650SK3
    Fordy
    how long does the process take from sending off your first bit of official paper. We are hoping to be over by next UK spring, was wondering when to start the process

Bike
    GSXR600K3
    Me and family are applying via the skilled migrant route. Submitted an Expression of Interest online via http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/ with enough points over their threshold. It took a month to complete and about two months for NZIS to respond with an invitation to apply for residence. That was on 29 Jan, then comes the form gathering stuff; getting qualifications assessed formally, medicals, police checks etc. You rely on other people to get back to you, but on the timescales they state we aim to get the Application for Residence in by the end of March (so another two months). We've read that once the application proper is in they are really quick to process it, and should get the go ahead within another month.

So, six months minimum (but if you go work to residence you can go anytime) but to allow for selling house and packing etc we've allowed 9 months.

Useful info here:
    http://www.movetonz.org/forum/ or http://www.emigratenz.org/migrantstories.html and another one opening in March http://www.move2nz.com/ and almost any NZ website you could want http://www2.piperpat.co.nz/nz/index.html

Good luck! Have you a destination in mind? I found the Rough Guide to NZ a good book for info on different areas.

Bike
    SV650SK3
    Thanks loads for all that info, I'll check it all out, so I guess starting the process off shortly would not be a bad idea. I've just asked a removals company to give an idea of rough costs of moving belongings, waiting for them to get back to me.
    We are thinking of the south Island, perhaps Christchurch area. Would like a climate that is warmer that the UK, but not as subtropical as the north Island. Would hope to get work fairly easily near a large place. I ordered the rough guide a couple of days ago from Amazon. Fortunately I have a very good friend who is from New Zealand and we invited him round a week ago to pump him for information.
    I don't understand what you mean by "go work to residence" can you explain

thanks

Bike
    SV650SK3
    OK, just found what that means on the first link you posted

Bike
    GSXR600K3
    Ahh, the lure of Chch calls another one

We fancy there for similar reasons, but not expecting the weather to be that much better. The gateway to the Great Outdoors, big enough for business opportunities and city amenities but not too big like Auckland IMHO. It can't hurt to start the paperwork now. IIRC once you get residence you have up to 6 months to send them (more) money and then up to another 12 months to arrive.

The EOI, medicals, qualification assessment, application etc all cost not only time to organise but also a lot of money. I'd recommend researching it now so you can plan and budget for all the steps, we had medicals on Monday and it cost over £500 for 4 and they change the number of tests soon so that will be even more Just the paperwork will be about £2k (NZ$5k)

Bike
    SV650SK3

Blah

Quote Originally Posted by Fordy
    we had medicals on Monday and it cost over £500 for 4 and they change the number of tests soon so that will be even more Just the paperwork will be about £2k (NZ$5k)
    EEK! I knew there would be some costs involved but 2K for paperwork!! seems an awful lot. Fortunately we will be going in a good finacial situation as we recently got married, sold two houses with lots of equity in them and hopefull the one we bought will have appreciated slightly when it comes to selling it. The difference in property prices is one big attraction, that and a lot less people there as well.

Bike
    GSXR600K3
    The difference in property prices is one big attraction, that and a lot less people there as well.
    lesser quantity, greater quality

Bike
    MG V11 Nero Corsa LeMans
    I've just asked a removals company to give an idea of rough costs of moving belongings
    Send BiffBaff a p/m and ask him, they just move over a few months ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fordy
    Ahh, the lure of Chch calls another one

We fancy there for similar reasons, but not expecting the weather to be that much better.
    Most North Iser's tell me the weather is beter down here but in winter colder... still better tho
    cheers DD
    (Definately Dodgy)

Bike
    97 Yamaha Virago

Cool

Kia ora and welcome to the world of the KBers.

When you do imigrate to NZ, will you be bringing both bikes and the trike with you?

Hiring bikes... ummm there are a couple of places in Auckland that do that, but I am sorry I dont recall their names or what it would even cost to hire them. Others on here will be able to help you out.

PS:Meon3 has a trike that she rides everywhere.
    :spudwave:

Thread Information