Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New road rules

Bike
    RF900

New road rules

Is it OK to use the bus lanes from feb 27th?

http://www.landtransport.govt.nz/roa...ew-road-rules/

well according to the most recent offering from the LTSA if its a Bus lane it is
    ???? what do you think they mean? check it out?
    Your never to old for a sportsbike

Bike
    SW-125R(F4-TF125), ZXRD400, RD250LC
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Redstar
    Is it OK to use the bus lanes from feb 27th?

http://www.landtransport.govt.nz/roa...ew-road-rules/

well according to the most recent offering from the LTSA if its a Bus lane it is
    ???? what do you think they mean? check it out?
    That will be interesting. They don't say whether that law over-rides local council bylaws or not do they? Anyone *know*?

Bike
    1999 CBR1100XX Blackbird
    Quote Originally Posted by Skunk
    That will be interesting. They don't say whether that law over-rides local council bylaws or not do they? Anyone *know*?
    As far as I know, the new law allowing cyclists, motorcyclists and buses to use bus lanes is nationwide, regardless of any council's bylaw's. It is designed to make it standard throughout the country whereas up til now, some councils imposed fines anywhere from $150 to $750 for illegally using a bus lane. If I get any more info, I'll let you know.

BC.

Bike
    SW-125R(F4-TF125), ZXRD400, RD250LC
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bykey Cop
    As far as I know, the new law allowing cyclists, motorcyclists and buses to use bus lanes is nationwide, regardless of any council's bylaw's. It is designed to make it standard throughout the country whereas up til now, some councils imposed fines anywhere from $150 to $750 for illegally using a bus lane. If I get any more info, I'll let you know.

BC.
    Cheers mate. It'll be good to know.
    Don't like the look of them in Wellington - they're painted green and I don't really want to find out how slippery they are in the wet just yet.

Bike
    RF900
    I have e mailed the LTSA for clarification as I suspect they forgot that some motorways have designated the emergency sholder as a bus lane and marked it clearly as such. there are some other legislations governing the use of a sholder as a bus lane that prohibit the use of Motor vechicles other than buses I think the new road rules have not clearly stated this and thus by default we have a valid defence from Feb 27th for zipping up the sholder? until they verify this fact publically in the media you have said defence?
    I suggest you print and carry the new rule as insurance againts infringement I know I will!

Bike
    El Bandito Negro
    Only cyclists, motorcyclists and buses are allowed to use bus lanes.
    Mwahahhaha they left out scooters and mopeds :-D

Bike
    RF900
    theres a reason for that! while there is a school of thought that all bikers are created equal its not so. persons who ride mopeds and vespa thingies are a subversive group who either evolve or die! sorry but its true its all about size!

Bike
    fire breathin ginja ninja
    I thought we could always use bus lanes...? Didn't think this was anything new..

Bike
    Honda CBR600F2
    Quote Originally Posted by bugjuice
    I thought we could always use bus lanes...? Didn't think this was anything new..
    me too. thought that was always the rule. but some one told me apparently it depends on the local councils. Well....I've been riding in the bus lane everyday on my way to work and nobody seems to mind so i guess its ok in my local council.

Bike
    fire breathin ginja ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by limmy
    me too. thought that was always the rule. but some one told me apparently it depends on the local councils. Well....I've been riding in the bus lane everyday on my way to work and nobody seems to mind so i guess its ok in my local council.
    I've been doing it for years, even past cops etc, and no one has ever said anything. Red Baron in Grey Lynn has a bloody big poster/sign in their shop, which seems to have been there forever, saying that bikes can use the bus lane.. Just doesn't make sense..

Bike
    1986 K100RS

32 ways to lose your licence as new rules take effect

nzherald

A lot of scope for latitude in interpretation of the rules
    unsafe passing (35 points) < Looks a nasty one for bikers

Have any guide lines been issued to "The Farce"? [sp?]

Bike
    XJR1200, Honda CB1/400
    Can someone (preferably connected with the enforcement of the relevant regulations) please justify the decision to allocate 35 demerit points for entering a pedestrian crossing when the passage is blocked compared to 20 for failing to give way when entering a roundabout??
    Can anyone suggest other anomalies in the new regulations?
    If as is by no means unlikely these new penalties are enthusiastically enforced(as with speeding offences) it will at least have the advantage of reducing traffic congestion, even though it does nothing for the road toll, as all the minor traffic offenders are removed from the roads...

I also note John Roughan's column in the Herald. Resident KB cops will dismiss him as another whinger just venting his spleen because he got a speeding ticket...
    Age is too high a price to pay for maturity

Bike
    Scorpio, XL1200N
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeL
    Can someone (preferably connected with the enforcement of the relevant regulations) please justify the decision to allocate 35 demerit points for entering a pedestrian crossing when the passage is blocked compared to 20 for failing to give way when entering a roundabout??
    The new regs appear to heavily weight offenses that jeopardise pedestrians, which I think is laudable.

I support the apparent general philosophy behind the descriptions and penalties for these new offenses. When used by a police officer with appropriate discretion, they should be excellent tools for landing heavy thwacks on the bad drivers we always moan about while ranting on the pointlessness of persnickety speed enforcement.

You might see people who commit these offenses as 'minor traffic offenders'; is nobody a 'major' traffic offender until they actually kill someone, then? The single offense of 'unsafe passing', with 35 points, covers a whole multitude of naughtiness, and is much more likely to be applied and have a deterrent effect than the old point-free $150 'passing where prohibited' or a charge of dangerous driving with the accompanied delays and stuffing around in Court.

Note that these offenses are not expensive. They just put you in danger of losing your licence which, IMHO, is the way traffic enforcement *should* work. In fact, Mr Disingenuity, I do believe you have made similar comments yourself in previous speed-enforcement criticisms...
    kiwibiker is full of love, an disrespect.
    - mikey

Bike
    XJR1200, Honda CB1/400
    Quote Originally Posted by jrandom
    In fact, Mr Disingenuity, I do believe you have made similar comments yourself in previous speed-enforcement criticisms...
    Too-shay...

But when you're sitting on 95 points perhaps you might have a different perspective...
    Age is too high a price to pay for maturity

Bike
    Black
    Quote Originally Posted by bugjuice
    This was an Auckland City bylaw. There are a bunch of old threads on this and I think riders weren't allowed to use the bus lanes on the North Shore? Motorway buslanes were certainly excluded.

Thread Information