Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: GPS mapping and GPS units you use

Bike
    05 450 EXC, 990 S
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    Make sure you're viewing tracks on the left side.
    You'll se a new one appear each time you divide a track.
    What he said.
    "The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools." - Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

Bike
    xr650
    Anyone used/using any of the android GPS apps for the dusty butt ?

The backcountry navigator looks pretty comprehensive - see there's even a trimble outdoor navigator app

Anyone got a link please for gps coordinates for a canterbury location to test these apps - assuming that's how wang fang gps works

Cheers

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    It's exactly what DualSportMaps was made for...

Bike
    xr650
    Cherz Nordie

Bike
    690 Advenduro
    I use the New Zealand Maps app it lets you pre-load the topo maps for the regions you are heading towards, or you could pre-load the entire country if you wanted/had the space.

The only downside is it does not do any autorouting, it just has nz topo maps which you can overlay routes/tracks. For the autorouting on roads I use Route66.

Bike
    xr650
    Thanks Chris - looks good

Bike
    xr650
    Downloaded backcountry navigator demo but it says it does not have turn by turn routing, with gps enabled - it drew a straight line from my current location to a location I chose it to go to 70 km a way - as the crow flies (location i chose one of many in the 400 km gpx file loaded)

If its going to draw a line as the crow flies from waypoint to waypoint and not along the road or track seems bit useless - am I missing something ? Ain't got much time to read pages of the manual or play round as we doing the run tomorrow.

Nordies suggestion of dualsportmap the developer states it does offer rudimentary turn by turn routing even when offline but its not the apps core competency though. If you need turn by turn instructions there are better options available.

Anyone using the dualsportmap and is the turn by turn sufficent for most trips ? Does it use GPS satelites to do the turn by turn navigation ? The better options ?

Cheers

Bike
    xr650
    Sussed out the back country app bit more - can see the whole redline route now with red triangles for each way point - will do the job

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    DSM is waypoint to waypoint too.

It's made for offroad nav where there may not be roads.

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    DSM is waypoint to waypoint too.

It's made for offroad nav where there may not be roads.
    Just like the DB1k... waypoint to waypoint or via point to via point as the crow flys is how it is done, again because there are no roads on the maps through some of it.
    Same as the route I did today using riverbeds and roads.
    www.remotemoto.com - a serious site for serious ADV riders, the ultimate resource in the making.
    Check out my videos on Youtube including... the 2011 Dusty Butt 1K - Awakino Challenge and others.

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    When I did my gps file for the first DB1K I put a waypoint at each intersection and another on the destination track about 50m away. Then you were sure which direction to head. It did double the number of waypoints but even the old eTrex Legend handled the whole dusty in 3 files.

Slightly easier than point to point where you may not initially be heading in the direction of the next waypoint.

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    When I did my gps file for the first DB1K I put a waypoint at each intersection and another on the destination track about 50m away. Then you were sure which direction to head. It did double the number of waypoints but even the old eTrex Legend handled the whole dusty in 3 files.

Slightly easier than point to point where you may not initially be heading in the direction of the next waypoint.
    Ryans files do have extra via points in between the main Waypoints to help with that but I do like the next via point to be closer to the associated waypoint as in your method inplaces.
    I also put in a file with waypoints that correspond with the numbers on the roll chart which was quite useful on one turn for me last time, wasn't sure wether to go thru a gate or follow the road. Would have become obvious soon enough but checked which chart number we were at and the diagram told the rest of the story with out any try this and see if the gps argues in 200 meters type stuff.
    www.remotemoto.com - a serious site for serious ADV riders, the ultimate resource in the making.
    Check out my videos on Youtube including... the 2011 Dusty Butt 1K - Awakino Challenge and others.

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Yep. Way/via points numbered same as roll chart and secondary points to indicate direction had a "B" after them.

Bike
    DRZ400
    Quote Originally Posted by brp View Post
    Sussed out the back country app bit more - can see the whole redline route now with red triangles for each way point - will do the job
    Hi,

I am stuggling with getting the NZ Topographic Map to show on screen, all I seem to get is a hazard type of signs in circles? I am using the Demo version, the program appears to have downloaded onto my android phone ok, am I missing something here?

Bike
    xr650
    Quote Originally Posted by rigley View Post
    Hi,

I am stuggling with getting the NZ Topographic Map to show on screen, all I seem to get is a hazard type of signs in circles? I am using the Demo version, the program appears to have downloaded onto my android phone ok, am I missing something here?
    It all makes more sense when you get out on the loaded route and engage gps - an arrow will come up and show where you are, as you twist the throttle and go along the red route line the arrow will move with you along the route - magic !

I downloaded dualsports maps and didn't seem as user friendly as backcountry - will play round with it bit more - had the turn by turn working breifly - both apps went a miff by turning gps off to conserve battery - towards end of run ,will wire in 12v supply

Thread Information