Page 12 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: GPS mapping and GPS units you use

Bike
    DRZ400
    Quote Originally Posted by brp View Post
    It all makes more sense when you get out on the loaded route and engage gps - an arrow will come up and show where you are, as you twist the throttle and go along the red route line the arrow will move with you along the route - magic !

I downloaded dualsports maps and didn't seem as user friendly as backcountry - will play round with it bit more - had the turn by turn working breifly - both apps went a miff by turning gps off to conserve battery - towards end of run ,will wire in 12v supply
    Ahh, is that what happens, this App has been doing my flipping head in for the last two days!!! Will switch on the GPS now and see what happens?

I am still waiting for a waterproof case and handle bar mount from ebay, the next thing on my Xmas list is a 12v supply to feed the my Samsung S2 charger, this is just a backup plan for my roll charts, would like to get it properly sorted though, thanks for your help

Bike
    DRZ400
    Quote Originally Posted by brp View Post
    It all makes more sense when you get out on the loaded route and engage gps - an arrow will come up and show where you are, as you twist the throttle and go along the red route line the arrow will move with you along the route - magic !

I downloaded dualsports maps and didn't seem as user friendly as backcountry - will play round with it bit more - had the turn by turn working breifly - both apps went a miff by turning gps off to conserve battery - towards end of run ,will wire in 12v supply
    OK, just travelled about 2km down the road with GPS and Data on, still no map, any ideas what to do?

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    Quote Originally Posted by rigley View Post
    ....any ideas what to do?
    Use it as a phone?

Maybe I should try sell you my old Garmin Etrex Legend HCX. I was keeping it as a backup but haven't really used it since getting the 62s in 2010.
    www.remotemoto.com - a serious site for serious ADV riders, the ultimate resource in the making.
    Check out my videos on Youtube including... the 2011 Dusty Butt 1K - Awakino Challenge and others.

Bike
    DRZ400
    Quote Originally Posted by Transalper View Post
    Use it as a phone?

Maybe I should try sell you my old Garmin Etrex Legend HCX. I was keeping it as a backup but haven't really used it since getting the 62s in 2010.
    I'm beginning to think I will use it as a phone, the whole idea of using it as a GPS was not to buy another thing which spends 360 days a year on the shelf. Thanks for the offer though, I will brush up on my roll chart.

Bike
    F800GS
    I'm beginning to think I will use it as a phone, the whole idea of using it as a GPS was not to buy another thing which spends 360 days a year on the shelf. Thanks for the offer though, I will brush up on my roll chart.
    I can loan you my old 62cx including ram mount for the bar, and a 12v power cord. It's a veteran of a couple of dustys and is so easy to use even I can navigate with it.

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    Lots of people seem to follow fairly blindly those in front and when those in front suddenly find they aren't sure where to go or simply miss a turn then unless you've been paying attention to your own navigation system (be it GPS or roll chart) then you'll find yourself just as lost as them.
    That is to say even the GPS can be a bit tricky to navigate with if you only look at it to try get back on track after following someone off course.
    You really need to keep aware of the distance to the next instruction.
    With roll chart I find to read the things properly almost requires a complete stop for safety reasons, to roll the chart on and check next instruction without riding off the road or in to traffic etc.
    All part of the fun though, but not the riding off the road or into others bit
    www.remotemoto.com - a serious site for serious ADV riders, the ultimate resource in the making.
    Check out my videos on Youtube including... the 2011 Dusty Butt 1K - Awakino Challenge and others.

Bike
    xr650
    OK, just travelled about 2km down the road with GPS and Data on, still no map, any ideas what to do?
    It should show if you have selected it as the current gpx file you want displayed

Bike
    xr650
    To clarify - was replying on phone earlier

It was excellent - just with all the turning off and on of the gps and a forced stop on both apps the data got miffed.

With the processing power of a smart phone - coupled with a decent app, think using your phone is a great idea ... high resoloution colour screen, not having to charge a gps unit and phone, ease of upgrading app and choices of apps, one unit - "modern day swiss army knife" once apon a time folk use to carry around an mp3 player and their phone - who bothers these days ?

Bike
    05 450 EXC, 990 S
    For some strange reason I don't have any navigation issue I could follow the route without any aids (in fact that is the plan - will carry GPS purely to capture my times etc).

I've got around to trying the outdoor atlas and the gpx files on my SIII. Works for me it seems. Interesting alarms because so far off route!

Cheers R
    "The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools." - Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

Bike
    DRZ400
    Quote Originally Posted by cooneyr View Post
    For some strange reason I don't have any navigation issue I could follow the route without any aids (in fact that is the plan - will carry GPS purely to capture my times etc).

I've got around to trying the outdoor atlas and the gpx files on my SIII. Works for me it seems. Interesting alarms because so far off route!

Cheers R
    You must have been a homing pigeon in a previous life.

This has not broke me yet, I can't wait to say I knocked the bastard off!

Bike
    DRZ400
    Quote Originally Posted by JATZ View Post
    I can loan you my old 62cx including ram mount for the bar, and a 12v power cord. It's a veteran of a couple of dustys and is so easy to use even I can navigate with it.
    Cheers Jatz,

Are you going to Umopom's party tomorrow night? If you could bring it along, would be appreciated.

Thanks m8

Bike
    KTM 640 Enduro
    Downloaded the Outdoor Atlas app plus the NZ topo add on yesterday to my Xperia Active & it all seems to work good. Loaded up the Dusty route & some other .gpx files I had no probs once I found my SD card in the slightly cryptic folders display. I scrolled around the dusty route at 250k & 50k scales last night so the maps are all cached. It was a bit slow at downloding some sections of map but it all got there in the end.
    It happily recorded a track & displayed the cached maps on my commute where the ph signal is quite patchy. It talks to the inbuilt compass in the ph & seems to do a good job of pointing the map in the right direction as I travel. Need to work out how to create or record a local route now so I can have a go at following that.

Will have to sort out a bar mount & power supply next. The phone is waterproof so case not required, will just have to remember to unplug the power & put the wee cap back in for rain/rivers. I think I'll take the roll charts also as I have a good lunchbox setup already for that.

Cheers
    Clint

Bike
    DRZ400
    Quote Originally Posted by clint640 View Post
    Downloaded the Outdoor Atlas app plus the NZ topo add on yesterday to my Xperia Active & it all seems to work good. Loaded up the Dusty route & some other .gpx files I had no probs once I found my SD card in the slightly cryptic folders display. I scrolled around the dusty route at 250k & 50k scales last night so the maps are all cached. It was a bit slow at downloding some sections of map but it all got there in the end.
    It happily recorded a track & displayed the cached maps on my commute where the ph signal is quite patchy. It talks to the inbuilt compass in the ph & seems to do a good job of pointing the map in the right direction as I travel. Need to work out how to create or record a local route now so I can have a go at following that.

Will have to sort out a bar mount & power supply next. The phone is waterproof so case not required, will just have to remember to unplug the power & put the wee cap back in for rain/rivers. I think I'll take the roll charts also as I have a good lunchbox setup already for that.

Cheers
    Clint
    I will try this, have taken Back Country Navigator off my phone, if Outdoor Atlas does not load properly then it must have something to do with the anti virus software I have loaded on the phone. Ebay delivery of 12v power supply and Galaxy S2 waterproof case and mount arrived yesterday, so well on the way, all I need now is MAPS!!!

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Quote Originally Posted by clint640 View Post
    Downloaded the Outdoor Atlas app plus the NZ topo add on yesterday to my Xperia Active.
    Finally got mine upgraded from Gingerbread to Ice Cream Sandwich!

Bike
    DRZ400
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    Finally got mine upgraded from Gingerbread to Ice Cream Sandwich!
    I bet that tastes nice

Thread Information