Page 15 of 44 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: The definitive motorcycle insurance thread

Bike
    1994 Yamaha Zeal
    I have no idea about the gear, but try everyone and just ring around. NAC are cheap, because sometimes you are quoted 3 times what other places quote you..

AMI, Swann, Protecta, State, AA, just give them all a ring.
    Quote Originally Posted by White trash View Post
    I'd rather eat cat shit with a knitting needle than go to Green Day

Bike
    gsx250f
    does anyone have any experiance with protector? any thing good or bad about them. im very tempted by their cover

Bike
    07XL650V, 89GPX250F
    NAC ftw !

CANNOT stress enough about how good I think they are.

I recently had a collision (my fault) no damage to my bike. They fixed the car I hit car for free (Nil excess) and the repairs were over a grands worth.

As far as price goes (Full Cover), I insured the bike when I was 26 years old (started with them this July) I was on a learners license and the bike is my 89 gpx250, insured value is 4k and costs me $303.26 p/a..... and that's cheap. I called around... I phoned AA Insurance, AMI, State, Star, Kiwibike and Tower, I called Protecta I called Vero, Classic Cover and I was at the time insured with Farmers Mutual (Annual Policy cost there was $496 something) .

NAC were the best deal I found as far as excesses vs premiums vs benefits went...

2 roadsides assists p/a as well.

So imo, insure with them.
    Last edited by mikemike104; 23rd December 2010 at 21:00. Reason: For prospective, I deal with insurances all day at work, so I did my research.

Bike
    1987 GPX 250
    Quote Originally Posted by mikemike104 View Post
    NAC ftw !

CANNOT stress enough about how good I think they are.

I recently had a collision (my fault) no damage to my bike. They fixed the car I hit car for free (Nil excess) and the repairs were over a grands worth.

As far as price goes (Full Cover), I insured the bike when I was 26 years old (started with them this July) I was on a learners license and the bike is my 89 gpx250, insured value is 4k and costs me $303.26 p/a..... and that's cheap. I called around... I phoned AA Insurance, AMI, State, Star, Kiwibike and Tower, I called Protecta I called Vero, Classic Cover and I was at the time insured with Farmers Mutual (Annual Policy cost there was $496 something) .

NAC were the best deal I found as far as excesses vs premiums vs benefits went...

2 roadsides assists p/a as well.

So imo, insure with them.
    Glad you tested NAC before i did! Good to hear they are cheap and pay out!

Bike
    1994 Yamaha Zeal
    the bike is my 89 gpx250, insured value is 4k
    did you buy from a dealer?

and costs me $303.26 p/a.....
    nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by White trash View Post
    I'd rather eat cat shit with a knitting needle than go to Green Day

Bike
    07XL650V, 89GPX250F
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibbo89 View Post
    did you buy from a dealer?
    Nope, But I have reciepts to the tune of $5200ish, inc bike purchase.. so I could not replace it for what i paid for it ($2800). In the event of a total loss claim I would just have to hope the assesser saw my point of view (e.g. my money spent) but if it was a writeoff I would hope to keep the wreck if I could and accept a lower cash payout as heaps of good bits on it could be swapped to another gpx,zzr etc.

Bike
    ZXR 250
    I've gone with Swann Insurance, not sure wheather I would now - I read on here that it took months for one forum member to get paid out. Kiwibike is a broker and they add 10% however they may have more luck dealing with payouts from insurance companies. Try and do some more research.
    Straight down the middle

Bike
    2011 Triumph Speedmaster

Support Bike insurance advice?

Hi all,

I've been calling around for a full cover insurance and wanted to compare some options that I got with you.
    The offers were:

- Honda rider insurance ($450 annually, $250 excess, also covers gear of rider and pillion)
    - Kiwibike.co.nz ($500 annually, $250 excess, only covers rider helmet up to $500)
    - Swann ($790 annually, $250 excess ($500 excess for theft), covers gear of rider and pillion)
    - Edit: also called David Golightly on account of info I found on this forum, but their only offer was $920 annually, without even asking for bike/driver details etc.
    - Edit: Protecta called as well, but they offered $914 per year minimum

Other offers I received were $1033 (State), $1947 (AMI), and Tower won't even insure unless I have another insurance with them.
    AA won't insure Triumph at all.

Do any of you have experience with insurance from Honda/Kiwibike/Swann?
    Any information, or suggestions for other insurers that you have is appreciated!

Thanks,
    Adam

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    I thought Honda Riders Club was discontinuing insurance... maybe not then?

I'm with Kiwibike, they're good bastards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    2011 Triumph Speedmaster

Support

Kiwibike seemed nice on the phone, did you ever have issues with them or haven't made any claims?
    The only thing that bothered me is that they don't really cover gear as well, and helmet cover is only $500, which doesn't help much if you have an Arai helmet.

But when I mentioned the quote from Honda bikers to them, they "warned" me about them, though they couldn't give any details.
    Does anyone know why they would need "warning" about? Or was it just a scare tactic?

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Yip... had one claim with them... made it a good one... $18,500 of damage to my bike. Took a while for the assessor to... assess, but apparently a whole bunch of clumsy buggers (myself naturally not included ) had fallen off at the same time, so there was a bit of a back log. Other than that, it was just real easy. Submit form, bike was already at the shop being assessed, assessor came along and agreed, then bike got repaired.

Not much more to say... been with them a few years, and you'll find quite a few here are with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    03 VTR1000
    Protecta insurance were cheap as chips for me and had roadside rescue on it as well. Can get a quote online at www.protecta.co.nz

Bike
    RATS & RICE
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ildefonse View Post
    Kiwibike seemed nice on the phone, did you ever have issues with them or haven't made any claims?
    The only thing that bothered me is that they don't really cover gear as well, and helmet cover is only $500, which doesn't help much if you have an Arai helmet.

But when I mentioned the quote from Honda bikers to them, they "warned" me about them, though they couldn't give any details.
    Does anyone know why they would need "warning" about? Or was it just a scare tactic?
    Do you have contents insurance??if so your proberly find that your gear is covered under that

for example my gear is automatically covered under contents and it works on full helmet replacement and the rest is depreciated depending on age,but saying that if you have a good claims person and prove the condition of your gear you may get more than 70% for 2 year old gear I got 90%

There is classic cover providing your over 30 and have full licence

Bike
    04 ZX10R 98 ZX9R #10
    ill give a +1 to Dave Hewer from kiwibike. Claimed on the 9 when I crashed it a couple of years ago. Took a little time to get all the details sorted but it was sorted in the end. Went striaght back with the 10 and got a good deal on that so yeah

Nearly all men can stand adversity and hard time, but if you want to test a mans true character, give him power....
    YouTube Videos
    MY PICTURES

Best place to stay in Hawkes Bay here

Bike
    2011 Triumph Speedmaster
    Great, good info there, thanks all.
    I'm leaning towards Dave with Kiwibike now as well.
    I actually do have contents insurance and they would probably cover my gear, but I have to call them to make sure.

Anyone got any info on/experience with the Honda rider insurance?

Thread Information