Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: HD: Snapped the drive belt

Bike
    Prefer Buell but not a snob
    Quote Originally Posted by ajturbo View Post
    buellBabe and I brought a spare one each when the $ was around 80c, i have used my spare, but i still have BB's just incase, hers tend to last till they rot... lol
    Is that right???

over 120,000kms and I'm on belt #4.

1st one collected a stone and cos we were touring and had a day to spare in Blenheim just rang AMPS (and bugger me! they had one in stock!!!!!!!) and they couriered it. The belt probably would have been ok but didn't wanna risk it...
    Piss of piss to change on the Buell...oh and all you later model Buell owners have got MY model 'the mighty X1' to thank for that brilliant bit of design.
    That 2nd belt was an after market and snapped within a short time.
    Went back to official HD brand and that one lasted quite a while til one day while chasing an Aprilia...snapped that one too. The belt that replaced that one has been going strong for many many kms now.

But as far as their general availability goes, yep I have also said rude words when not one single dealer in the country has had one in stock...

Thats why I have a spare...
    ...it is better to live 1 day as a Tiger than 1000 years as a sheep...

Bike
    Speed Triple
    Quote Originally Posted by buellbabe View Post
    IBut as far as their general availability goes, yep I have also said rude words when not one single dealer in the country has had one in stock...
    I wasn't overly concerned, a little surprised they would be that useless but I avoid them at every opportunity anyway so not being able to give them my money was fine by me.

Bike
    ducati 900ss Harley XLCR café racer
    But as far as their general availability goes, yep I have also said rude words when not one single dealer in the country has had one in stock...

Thats why I have a spare...
    I have been riding harleys for over 20 years

Official dealers are the last place I go for parts now as they never have what I need in stock and its quicker, easier and cheaper to order parts over the internet than wait for the dealers to get the parts in

Bike
    R100GSPD
    are the belts specific to harley or are they a std drive belt.....I have no idea how to find that out.

Bike
    mutton dressed up as lamb and a 73 XL250
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWST? View Post
    are the belts specific to harley or are they a std drive belt.....I have no idea how to find that out.
    Specific...................
    Be the person your dog thinks you are...

Bike
    R100GSPD
    Quote Originally Posted by 98tls View Post
    of course would be far to easy wouldnt it!

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by 98tls View Post
    Made by Goodyear to a 14mm pitch ISO standard profile. HD/Buell recommend this particular belt, claiming it's a spec unique to their product.

'Course they're not saying what particular spec' makes it unique, and the fact is many other companies manufacture belts that claim to equal or better the Goodyear/HD item's performance.

Many of these competing manufacturer's belts are... a "lower" spec', they meet the dimensional standards and will therefore fit the pulleys perfectly well, but the materials and construction are less well suited to the application.

I've no doubt, however that some of them are at least a match, and it's a technology that's still improving, almost year by year.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    R100GSPD
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    Made by Goodyear to a 14mm pitch ISO standard profile. HD/Buell recommend this particular belt, claiming it's a spec unique to their product.

'Course they're not saying what particular spec' makes it unique, and the fact is many other companies manufacture belts that claim to equal or better the Goodyear/HD item's performance.

Many of these competing manufacturer's belts are... a "lower" spec', they meet the dimensional standards and will therefore fit the pulleys perfectly well, but the materials and construction are less well suited to the application.

I've no doubt, however that some of them are at least a match, and it's a technology that's still improving, almost year by year.
    Are the BMW belts also a STD dimension(the f800 road bikes)

Bike
    Good post Ocean... I have had personal experience of an inferior belt, I now buy thru a Stateside aftermarket Buell site and am completely satisfied.

Another point to consider is the style of riding a person does... for example my ex spent a LOT of time on the back wheel and he went thru belts like nobodies business!!!!

Also, its VERY important to have the correct tension, and if ya can't get it right right then its better to err on the side of being too loose ...

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWST? View Post
    Are the BMW belts also a STD dimension(the f800 road bikes)
    Dude I don't know, but I'd be very surprised if they weren't.

If you call in to any industrial transmissions supplier they'll have a quick measure and probably be able to tell you what they are.

I have had personal experience of an inferior belt, I now buy thru a Stateside aftermarket Buell site and am completely satisfied.
    Yup, no question the OE part is one of the best. It's just not the only suitable option, and it's typically several times the price of belts of comparable performance.

To be fair Buell manage their parts prices well, (right down to the end-user) and I've found them to be priced not entirely unreasonably considering the low stock turnover compared to industrial suppliers. HD seem to simply add a zero, 'cause they can.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    2016 GSXS 1000F
    Blog Entries
    So it appears that HD owners wait until the belt snaps. Good thing they don't use them in aeroplanes with similar maintenance procedures. I think I will stay with a chain drive bike - they wear out but don't fail at the most inconvenient moments.
    Here for the ride.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    All fixed now HB?

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Quote Originally Posted by sinned View Post
    So it appears that HD owners wait until the belt snaps. Good thing they don't use them in aeroplanes with similar maintenance procedures. I think I will stay with a chain drive bike - they wear out but don't fail at the most inconvenient moments.
    Oh yes they do!

That last HD I had with a chain did just that.

And no, it was not an old worn out number either...
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    Speed Triple
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonez View Post
    All fixed now HB?
    Sadly....no.

As I mentioned in the first post the company I ordered off don't always bother to send an order confirmation, so seeing as I was yet to receive any contact from them I just kept an eye out for a courier, Any day now I was thinking, Any day now....It must be coming today.

Then I get an e-mail just yesterday from them saying they were processing my order.

LMFAO.

I'll run their track and trace and see where it is...

Your item left the United States from ISC CHICAGO IL (USPS) at 8:50 PM on March 25, 2009. Information, if available, is updated every evening. Please check again later.

Won't be this week then.

Bike
    Obviously its too late for this order but ya might wanna check out LakeShoreHarley for future internet orders...

Thread Information