Page 3 of 144 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: The BMW GS boxer twin thread

Bike
    R1150GS & R80GS Basic
    I've got a PDF copy of an R80GS manual. If anyone wants a copy let me know.

I am still messing with the clutch piston on the R80. Looks like I've stuffed something up on reassembly. Hope to get it under control soon. The clutch itself is fine (I think, hope....).
    R1150GS
    R80GS Basic

Bike
    Very Modded DR650
    Well I'm done in the garage tonight. I'm not feeling great so ran out of energy and willingness to be out in the cold garage.
    I soldered a spade connector onto the crap earth, cleaned up the surfaces and did that back up. Also checked and cleaned up the main battery earth down near the gearbox.

Checked a whole lot of other plugs but no joy. I'll check that #4 fuse again tomorrow.
    www.AdventureRidingNZ.co.nz NZ's dedicated Adventure Riding Community
    Forums, free GPS track downloads and much more. Now over 5700 members, are you one of them?

Bike
    Very Modded DR650

Brakes

My front brakes on the PD are crap. Yes I know they are all like that but these are crapper than usual.

The bike has a braided line installed
    They struggle to hold pressure at the lever for an externded period of time, i.e over a week the amount of pressure will reduce.
    Whenever I ride through a river they lose all pressure.

Ideas?

Is it master cylinder rebuild time?
    Forums, free GPS track downloads and much more. Now over 5700 members, are you one of them?

Bike
    silly green dirt bike..........DOH
    Blog Entries
    i feel it may be the rubber cups, letting fluid passed under preasure, this would result in soft lever. but there is no wet areas on the capiler is this correct.
    I FEEL THE NEED, THE NEED FOR SPEED
    my ride picshttp://picasaweb.google.com/sueycarter
    other ride pics http://picasaweb.google.com/113645336286831595353

Bike
    R100GSPD
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddieb View Post
    My front brakes on the PD are crap. Yes I know they are all like that but these are crapper than usual.

The bike has a braided line installed
    They struggle to hold pressure at the lever for an externded period of time, i.e over a week the amount of pressure will reduce.
    Whenever I ride through a river they lose all pressure.

Ideas?

Is it master cylinder rebuild time?
    dont follow....do you mean by the end of the week you have to bleed them again?
    they will always feel crap after a water crossing but they should return to pre river crossing performance after a decent drag or stop,and the disc/pads dry out.

Bike
    Very Modded DR650
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWST? View Post
    dont follow....do you mean by the end of the week you have to bleed them again?
    they will always feel crap after a water crossing but they should return to pre river crossing performance after a decent drag or stop,and the disc/pads dry out.
    I haven't had any joy bleeding them. repeated use brings back some of the pressure so after a few km's i can only pull the lever back 1/3 - 1/2 way, but after sitting a few days the lever will go pretty much all the way back to the bar.

After rivers is not just water on the disc & pads, the whole system looses pressure.

Bike
    mutton dressed up as lamb and a 73 XL250
    A bit off topic but to do with a GS anyway,a mate of mine parked his late model one up on the side of the road to suffer the indignation of having it deliberatly run over by a group of guys in dads 4wd,happy to say that its back on the road better than ever,tough bloody things methinks.
    Be the person your dog thinks you are...

Bike
    Very Modded DR650
    So the R100 is going again. I was off work/working from home today as I have a cold and the boss didn't want me to give it to the rest of the office.

I went out for some throat lozenges and happened to stop at Repco on the way and picked up a new brake light bulb and some 15amp spade fuses. Change Fuse #4 out for a new one (Thanks PhPhil) and everything lights up and makes the appropriate noises, colours and flashes.

I still can't see anything wrong with the old fuse but obviously it's poked.

I also stopped at the battery shop and the guy gave me a pile of battery plugs so thats sorted also.

So the bikes still in bits as by then I felt too grotty to put it back together, but it works again.

Next on the list is replacing the driveshaft boot between the gearbox and paralever.

Bike
    92 R80 GS
    So the R100 is going again. I was off work/working from home today as I have a cold and the boss didn't want me to give it to the rest of the office.

I went out for some throat lozenges and happened to stop at Repco on the way and picked up a new brake light bulb and some 15amp spade fuses. Change Fuse #4 out for a new one (Thanks PhPhil) and everything lights up and makes the appropriate noises, colours and flashes.

I also stopped at the battery shop and the guy gave me a pile of battery plugs so thats sorted also.

So the bikes still in bits as by then I felt too grotty to put it back together, but it works again.

Next on the list is replacing the driveshaft boot between the gearbox and paralever.
    Glad to see your electrics are back to normal. Now for the fun bit, the boot. Allow plenty of time and take a "calm pill". Getting that boot to sit in place while you get the clamp on can be an exercise in frustration !! Until you figure out a knack that works for you.

Bike
    R100GSPD
    i have a BMW car,and it must have 40 of those "horseshoe" fuses.They can be bad even though they look good.Check with a multimeter is the only way

Bike
    92 R80 GS

My mods

A couple of years ago I stripped my bike down to powdercoat the frame and tidy things up a bit. While I was at it I added a few frame strengthening bits. I studied the HPN bikes to see what they had done and then did my version. For the subframe, I studied threads on various web sites to see what broke and where and figured the right hand side has a weak spot where the vertical tube meets the horizontal one. So I added another tube below the bracing web which should make it much stronger. The left side I left alone as the muffler was in the way and it should brace it a bit anyway.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	frame mod-1.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	123997   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	frame mod-1-1.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	123998   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	frame mod-1-2.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	123999   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	frame mod-1-3.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	45.6 KB 
ID:	124000  

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Quote Originally Posted by Phreaky Phil View Post
    A couple of years ago I stripped my bike down to powdercoat the frame and tidy things up a bit. While I was at it I added a few frame strengthening bits.
    Nicely done too

Bike
    Hodaka Road Toad

Thumbs up Those Cazy Airheads

I've got one of those things

I have done 3 CCA's, 2 Wild foods festivals (Hokitika) and 1 trip to Pukekohe to see No 34, New Plymouth for the Long track, Wanganui River road and the Turakina Valley

Still not sure if i like it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2008 CCA 012.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	357.8 KB 
ID:	124030   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sanyo 125.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	344.7 KB 
ID:	124038  

Bike
    Very Modded DR650
    Quote Originally Posted by short shins View Post
    I've got one of those things

I have done 3 CCA's, 2 Wild foods festivals (Hokitika) and 1 trip to Pukekohe to see No 34, New Plymouth for the Long track, Wanganui River road and the Turakina Valley

Still not sure if i like it.
    'ere, you're local to me.

You better get of your butt and join us on a few rides so you can see how good they can be. It doesn't sound like you've really taken it into it's best habitat yet.

And it'd be good to have another airhead out, I'm sick of being surounded by DR's and others with no taste

Bike
    silly green dirt bike..........DOH
    Blog Entries
    looks like that other beemer might take you on eddie,
    carefull your still king of the track, for monster bikes.
    I FEEL THE NEED, THE NEED FOR SPEED
    my ride picshttp://picasaweb.google.com/sueycarter
    other ride pics http://picasaweb.google.com/113645336286831595353

Thread Information