Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Best Bonnie ever?

Bike
    So old you won't care
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    Sparking you up is always worthy. Calling Motu short was out of line - he's at least 4'6"
    How could you possibly estimate that from your height - proof you lack judgement I think ;-)

All this 'best' stuff is crazy as it is essential to define 'best' and the context in which its used. I'm not crazy enough to think a new bike is going to be technically better than a 40 year old design but that not what 'best' may mean in a classic bike forum is it?

BD thinks the SE is the best - I'd have no issue if he said its the best of the Hinckley era and could not argue.

The 68 to 70 bikes were probably the best of the 'classic' era purely on looks and development of the original theme.

But - if you think the 'best' is the one that had the biggest impact on the times and the industry then the original Tangarine Dream is streets ahead. It was something people went to bikes shows and went 'cor' over... (arguably though the original delta headed 500's were really the original though??

Bike
    Had a 2007 Suzuki C50T Boulevard
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    I still think the W650 Kawasaki is more "Bonneville" than the new Triumph Bonneville.

I wish Triumph would bring out a limited edition hot-rod Bonnie - I always thought they would, but it does not appear to be coming.
    I agree, the best "Bonnie" ever built, the Kawasaki W650. It keeps truer to the original concept of light, good looking and is a good bike ion its own right. While I feel the Triumph T100, the new SE, the Scrambler and the Thruxton are great bikes as well, I do think they have missed the point that Kawasaki understood. If I could only choose one bike of the two makes it would be the W650, otherwise I would add the Scrambler and the Thruxton into the garage.

Quote Originally Posted by triumphnz View Post
    That would be spot on the third harris ive owned and ive fully rebuilt alL of them the current one has only the cases and head left from the original motor but now it flies ive camed it balanced 32mm carbs belt drive etc.Once sorted they are a good bike .
    Ahah, the old, "Sell them and let the customer finish the development!" philosophy. So like the British motor industry back then...
    You don't get to be an old dog without learning a few tricks.
    Shorai Powersports batteries are very trick!

Bike
    70's Superbikes
    I watched a disturbing documentary on the state of our dog breeds. It kind of sums up how I feel about not just the new Bonnies, but pretty much new bikes in general.
    In the doco, they were making the statement that our dog breeds are in real trouble from selective breeding and a lot of the breeds contain less than 10% of their genetics now as measured 50 years ago. Or something to that effect.
    The regulations on pollution, safety and the like added to the manufacturer's trend of making bikes rider friendly have sanitised the whole riding experience for me. And I guess that is how I would sum up the new Bonnie; sanitised containing less that 10% of the original Bonnie's DNA
    Blast From The Past Axis of Oil

Bike
    All of them
    best |best| superlative of good .
    adjective
    of the most excellent, effective, or desirable type or quality : the best pitcher in the league | how to obtain the best results from your machine | her best black suit.
    • most enjoyable : some of the best times of my life.
    • most appropriate, advantageous, or well advised : do whatever you think best | it's best if we both go.
    adverb

Thesaurus
    best
    adjective
    1 the best hotel in Rhode Island finest, greatest, top, foremost, leading, preeminent, premier, prime, first, chief, principal, supreme, of the highest quality, superlative, par excellence, unrivaled, second to none, without equal, nonpareil, unsurpassed, peerless, matchless, unparalleled, unbeaten, unbeatable, optimum, optimal, ultimate, incomparable, ideal, perfect; highest, record-breaking; informal star, number-one, a cut above the rest, top-drawer, the Cadillac of, the Rolls-Royce of. antonym worst.
    2 do whatever you think best most advantageous, most useful, most suitable, most fitting, most appropriate; most prudent, most sensible, most advisable.
    adverb
    1 the best-dressed man to the highest standard, in the best way. antonym worst.
    2 the food he liked best most, to the highest/greatest degree. antonym least.
    3 this is best done at home most advantageously, most usefully, most suitably, most fittingly, most appropriately; most sensibly, most prudently, most wisely; better.
    noun
    1 only the best will do finest, choicest, top, cream, choice, prime, elite, crème de la crème, flower, jewel in the crown, nonpareil; informal tops, pick of the bunch.
    2 she dressed in her best best clothes, finery, Sunday best; informal glad rags.
    3 give her my best best wishes, regards, kind/kindest regards, greetings, compliments, felicitations, respects; love.
    verb informal
    she was not to be bested defeat, beat, get the better of, outdo, outwit, outsmart, worst, be more than a match for, prevail over, vanquish, trounce, triumph over; surpass, outclass, outshine, put someone in the shade, overshadow, eclipse; informal lick.
    PHRASES
    do one's best we'll do our best to make sure you get a good education do one's utmost, try one's hardest, make every effort, do all one can, give one's all; informal bend over backwards, do one's damnedest, go all out, pull out all the stops, bust a gut, break one's neck, move heaven and earth.
    had best you had best check the pantry for moths ought to, should.

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    How very interesting.......Is this why I only read Classic Bike Magazine?
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    All of them
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    How very interesting.......Is this why I only read Classic Bike Magazine?

Bike
    '76 BMW R90S
    Thing is BD, we constantly evaluate the present by comparing it to the past, and we measure the past by comparing it to the present. Ignoring everything from the past is as ignorant as disregarding everything which is current. A retro is presumed to mix the best of the old with the best of current practice/expectation, but the reality is often wide of the mark by varying degrees. Witness Exhibit A: the Chrysler PT Cruiser . . .

Not everything which is old is necessarily crap, while not everything new is necessarily an overwhelming improvement. And as for determining what is "best", in spite of your exhaustive list of definitions the final determination will still be subjective and likely to be challenged by someone who disagrees for some or other reason.

Bike
    Old Blue, Little blue
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    Probably the best of the retro bikes would be the Ducati 1000.
    Except - like most of us, it's got broader in the beam and a fat arse over time!
    “- He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.”

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Quote Originally Posted by SPman View Post
    Except - like most of us, it's got broader in the beam and a fat arse over time!
    Your so right...when I first started looking at a modern bike a couple of years ago, I noticed that the Ducati single seats were like old tractor seats.
    The SS I bought has a much larger seat than the old Darmah Bevel and it was a sports/tourer in its day.
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    All of them
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Headroom View Post
    Not everything which is old is necessarily crap,
    Not saying it is. Just that the modern ones are better. Mainly because it's interesting to see the opposition rail.

Bike
    70's Superbikes
    I like the look of the Ducati classic range as well as the Triumph ones. The Ducati 1000S with the Paul Smart type fairing to me is a very nice looking bike. I don't know why on earth the seat is so hard core, maybe the type of rider it is aimed at has developed their own padding over the years
    Blast From The Past Axis of Oil

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Not saying it is. Just that the modern ones are better. Mainly because it's interesting to see the opposition rail.
    Modern ones are better........

funny that, I have two Ducati's that are 20 years apart, i never think of one as being better than the other, I just enjoy them for what they are.
    If I could only have one of them, it would be the Bevel drive one as it is more fun to own than the massed produced Ducati's.
    I'm looking forward to getting my 50 year old Triumph back on the road, much more rewarding than buying a bike from a shop.
    any idea where I can get a new set of rose tinted glasses from : lol:

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    All this arguafying is because the thread is comparing apples and oranges. Hinckley B onnie and Meriden Bonnie are plain different things. Like asking which is the best Thunderbolt and then arguing whether the BSA or Buell is " better" . They just happen to have the same name ( and in Triumphs case, some cosmetic gestures).

The demographics each was aimed at are totally different. Hinckley, elderly born again wanting a easy riding no hassles bike for weekend excursions to a local cafe. Meriden was aimed at the young hoon wanting a socially irresponsible speed machine for unsafe fanging round the North Circular. It's inevitable that the design briefs will be quite different. And the person who likes one won't like the other. I prefer Meriden myself but that's just me. One day when I'm old I'll probably change my mind
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    09 Triumph Bonneville SE
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    The 09 Bonneville SE (black) is what my missus desires when she completes her class 6 licence. Who am I to say no!
    The New Bonnie is what my money went on. Not that I have ridden a lot of bikes (total of 4, & the first 2 I never got to do any more than 1st gear in the back yard). Was love at first sight though, and no regrets yet. Very forgiving bike, and it has gotten me out of my first scrape now.

Best Bike ever
    Now I really am a Bonnie girl

Bike
    So old you won't care
    Now if Triumph could ditch the lardy looks and build something cool like this.... (scanned from a classic bike mag)

Sigh... but they wont...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0001..jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	181.9 KB 
ID:	202070  

Thread Information