Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Africa Twin owners and wannabes thread

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Earthing.

Is that what you call it when you fall off?

Bike
    Africa Twin / XRV 750 (RD04L)
    Blog Entries

Question

Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    Earthing.

Is that what you call it when you fall off?
    So what should I be checking for and where? the alt wires are not earthed themselves - no continuity to the frame there. Ideas?
    There are two kinds of adventurers: those who go truly hoping to find adventure and those who go secretly hoping they won't. We should come home from our adventures having faced their perils and uncertainties, endured their discomfort and beaten the odds, with a sly acknowledgment and revitalised solidarity of character.

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Find the proper earths and clean them. May be a bit of resistance on one.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Find the proper earths and clean them. May be a bit of resistance on one.
    can I jsut make a new one from battery -ve to a spare bolt hole etc?
    There are two kinds of adventurers: those who go truly hoping to find adventure and those who go secretly hoping they won't. We should come home from our adventures having faced their perils and uncertainties, endured their discomfort and beaten the odds, with a sly acknowledgment and revitalised solidarity of character.

Bike
    05 450 EXC, 990 S
    One of the things that gets the XTZ's reg rect is its plug i.e. the plug connecting to itself. Best thing to do is cut the plug off and put on new insulated spade connectors. Apparently the copper connectors of the time corrode/crap out, resistance goes up, reg thinks the voltage has gone up (V=IR and R has supposedly gone up so the reg thinks V has gone up) so Reg works overtime to drop the voltage and ends up frying itself. Both my bro and my XTZ's had pretty black reg plug connectors. We have done the spade plug thing and not had any troubles.

Cheers R
    "The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools." - Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Quote Originally Posted by buggsubique View Post
    can I jsut make a new one from battery -ve to a spare bolt hole etc?
    But where's the fun in that?

Bike
    Honda 650 Africa twin and a Dommie
    The plug that melted probably had a bad conection in it and built up heat.
    Reconect them with spade conectors using a decent crimper and use some electrical grease.

Bike
    Well that was bloody quick ! I just recieved my speedo drive cog and braided rear brake line from Wemoto in GB in my mail box 8 days from placing the order, and we only get mail delivery 2 days a week out here.
    Woohoo rolling again.

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Braided rear line...
    So you'll be able to wear those pads out even quicker now

Bike
    Blog Entries
    my girl is in bits in the man-cave for the next week or three. Waiting on new front discs from akl, also speedo drive and airfilters from Wemoto. Also want to mock up some new side panels and rallye-style front fairing and see how it looks...must preserve rare plastics...!

Bike
    F800GS
    Quote Originally Posted by buggsubique View Post
    my girl is in bits in the man-cave for the next week or three. Waiting on new front discs from akl, also speedo drive and airfilters from Wemoto. Also want to mock up some new side panels and rallye-style front fairing and see how it looks...must preserve rare plastics...!
    Must be the season for it aye........DR's in bits in my shed, XT's in bits @ the inlaws, and the Trumpy's @ Thunderbike. Least it's not summer and primo ridding weather

Bike
    Braided rear line...
    So you'll be able to wear those pads out even quicker now
    Yeah , although the expence account wouldnt run to new pads ...so I dug a half worn set out and they should see me through the recession ,specially as Ive learned how to do without a rear brake now.
    Buggs ,alot can be achieved cheaply with a heat gun and and some perspex .

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Underground View Post
    Buggs ,alot can be achieved cheaply with a heat gun and and some perspex .
    yeah, I was actually hoping to stop in at a sign writers and get a sheet of PVC once I get the front and rad shrouds sorted. Thinking of straight aluminium plates for the rear sides after I relocate the reg/ rect forward into more air and find somewhere to stash the rad overflow bottle. Once that's sorted the plan is to use the plates as a mount for a. Pannier, b. fuel / water cells - just swap them out depending on the ride. jsut dreaming maybe, but basically a rough & ready cut-up version of the marathon - style @'s from back in the day. Just won't be so glamorous!

Bike
    KTM 2T & LC4
    Quote Originally Posted by thepom View Post
    I hear the KTM s are a nightmare for maintenence.....let me know your views on this as any info is always welcome....
    Dunno that it's that bad. The LC8 twins are a bit convoluted but no worse than anything similar; modern machines are more complex. The superceded LC4 is no drama. The new 690 LC4 is much better for maintenance than most machines; ease of maintenance was one of the design goals. eg diagonal-cut rocker cover to make it easier to check the valves.
    Cheers,
    Colin

Quote Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
    All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.

Bike
    Blog Entries

RD04 4 sale

Thread Information