Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: RUC Petition for Motorcyclists

Bike
    Mine
    Quote Originally Posted by aprilia_RS250 View Post
    A RUC type licence would suit people who have +2 bikes or don't ride many miles
    Exactly.

which I assume would easily be a majority of NZ motorcyclists.
    Can you back that up? I suspect the opposite is the case (which I can't back up, just wondering if you have figures).

I would more than welcome it if priced correctly.
    I think you'd feel differently if single bike owning commuters were priced off their bikes and into cars. Having more cars on the road benefits no-one.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by swbarnett View Post
    Exactly.

Can you back that up? I suspect the opposite is the case (which I can't back up, just wondering if you have figures).

I think you'd feel differently if single bike owning commuters were priced off their bikes and into cars. Having more cars on the road benefits no-one.
    I think it's been shown that bikes are worse for the environment per passenger than cars. So, less bikes kind of benefits everyone.

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    I think it's been shown that bikes are worse for the environment per passenger than cars. So, less bikes kind of benefits everyone.
    From an environmental standpoint maybe, but more bikes equals less congestion, equals less cars sitting in traffic idling away. Surely that benefits not only through less traffic hassles but also the the environment in some small way?

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by onearmedbandit View Post
    From an environmental standpoint maybe, but more bikes equals less congestion, equals less cars sitting in traffic idling away. Surely that benefits not only through less traffic hassles but also the the environment in some small way?
    That's logical.

Bike
    the best one
    Exactly.

Page 9 should help

http://www.transport.govt.nz/assets/...cling-y812.pdf

Bike
    my little pony
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I have read on here over a year ago that it is possible to register for 1 day a year by going into the post office and filling out a special form and if it was so dangerous to only ride 1 day a year they would not allow 1 day registrations I would have thought. In the media I have read its the guys who have a 10 year or more gap from riding that are the most risky when they return. Someone may post to confirm if its correct you can get a one day registration by going into the post office. I would think if it can be done in the post office being able to do it online would also be feasable as so much else can now be bought online.
    yes you can reticence a motorcycle for one day at a LTSA branch, not online, and the BAMBI born again biker is also a myth to capture statistical middle age biker accidents. Myth busted.

Bike
    Mine
    Ask the motorway commuters how they feel about the ever increasing number of cars trying to cram on to an already overloaded system.

On those same congested motorways a bike is far better for the environment; the vast majority of those cars only carry one person while doing barely more than an idle for a large part of the journey. Meanwhile the bikes have an engine half the size that is actually moving. The shorter journey time alone makes the bike superior for the environment under these circumstances.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Meanwhile the bikes have an engine half the size that is actually moving.
    I dunno about that... some of those shopping trolleys have 1L engines, and physically don't seem much bigger than the GSA then again, I don't use it for commuting. The hybrids do extremely well however, my boss has the newer Prius V (wagon) and over 60k ish, averages 4.5L / 100km. Neither the Hornet or GSA can manage that, but the likes of an NC700 are more like 3L
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Mine
    Maybe it's just me but I can't see anything that refers, or even infers, how many people own more than one bike. Are you per chance referring to those that don't travel many miles? Now, that I did see in that reort.

Bike
    Mine
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    I dunno about that... some of those shopping trolleys have 1L engines, and physically don't seem much bigger than the GSA then again, I don't use it for commuting.
    At a guess I's say the average commuter will be probably somewhere 500cc by the time all the 250s are counted. However, I could be wildly off.

Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    The hybrids do extremely well however, my boss has the newer Prius V (wagon) and over 60k ish, averages 4.5L / 100km. Neither the Hornet or GSA can manage that, but the likes of an NC700 are more like 3L
    Yes, hybrids are another matter entirely. They still don't make up a large proportion of the vehicle fleet (that proportion does seem to be increasing though).

How does your boss drive? I look at fuel consumption figures quoted for new cars and I'm thinking that you've gotta drive like a short-sighted grandma to achieve them.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    How does your boss drive? I look at fuel consumption figures quoted for new cars and I'm thinking that you've gotta drive like a short-sighted grandma to achieve them.
    Probably avg. Sedate at times, plants boot at times. Stick it in sport and you get both electric and petrol... eats boy racers off the line
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Very narrowly scoped, they were worse for NOx emmissions if I recall correctly. Likely due to not having cats (no cassina, that doesn't mean running over cats will increase your fuel economy).
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries
    On those same congested motorways a bike is far better for the environment; the vast majority of those cars only carry one person while doing barely more than an idle for a large part of the journey. Meanwhile the bikes have an engine half the size that is actually moving. The shorter journey time alone makes the bike superior for the environment under these circumstances.
    Lot of newish cars seem to have that switchy-off thing when they're stopped these days, you can hear the engine starting again when they start moving (if you are next to them on a bike), but then I guess they're not completely stopped much of the time, just going very slowly.

Really couldn't afford to keep the one bike I own and use everyday if this RUC idea was adopted, so that's a big NO from me. Motorcycling is already not cheaper than driving a car, any more expensive and I'd have to give it up, especially in the current economic climate as it affects me.
    Moe: Well, I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I...I can't compete with that stuff.
    - The Simpsons

Bike
    A Japper
    Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    Very narrowly scoped, they were worse for NOx emmissions if I recall correctly. Likely due to not having cats (no cassina, that doesn't mean running over cats will increase your fuel economy).

Cassina's motorbike needs a dogalytic diverter rather than anything catalytic!

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by nerrrd View Post
    Lot of newish cars seem to have that switchy-off thing when they're stopped these days, you can hear the engine starting again when they start moving (if you are next to them on a bike), but then I guess they're not completely stopped much of the time, just going very slowly.
    That system is annoying as hell when you're trying to quickly reverse into a carpark. Stop, slam it in reverse and before you can take off again the bloody car is off

Thread Information