Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Kiwirider: Gareth Morgan's ACC position

Bike
    vulcanNomad
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkW View Post
    As always - some interesting arguments in this thread.

Motorcycles can be cheap to run - but it depends on the motorcycle and the riders objectives. My main transport is, and has always been, a motorcycle. I have a car but it only gets used when the motorcycle is an unsuitable choice.

I run a Honda NTV650 - a shaft driven V twin with half fairing and fixed saddlebags. Tyre sizes are sensible and I am looking at $300 a set and 15,000km average life. Fuel use is 22km per litre. I'm old and my last motorcycle accident was in 1991 so my insurance costs are not high, I do all of my own servicing and expect a minimum of 200,000km from my current Honda before it needs major work that I can't do myself.

I also run a DRZ250 Suzuki that is street legal - and this bike is even cheaper to run than the Honda as the rego and tyres are cheaper. And every second year I go trail riding in central Otago. I now live just outside Kaitaia and ride the DRZ to Queenstown and back. The bike handles this task pretty well. Sure, I'm not able to cruise at speeds in excess of the open road limit but I choose entertaining (for me!) roads to get from one end of the country to the other.

Using a Ferrari as a commuter car will always cost more than a Suzuki Swift also used for commuting.

Up untill 2 years ago I lived in Auckland and used exactly the same motorcycles for all of my commuting. Even larger motorcycles can be relatively cheap commuters.

When I started riding in 1972 most motorcycles were used as transport first and recreation second. Many motorcyclists are now recreational only and the running costs reflect this.

I have 4 road registered motorcycles - prior to the latest set of ACC rises I always had a 650 and a 250 registered. Now I manage my registrations so that I rarely have 2 bikes registered. I know how the rules work - and use the opportunities therein to my best advantage. Registering the 650 on Friday morning for 4 or 5 days only gives me time to get to and from Hastings with ease. Rego cost is less than $20. I ALWAYS have a road registered motorcycle to ride.

Sure - riding the DRZ to Auckland for a weekend takes 30 minutes longer than doing it on the 650 but I save a reasonable amount of money in rego costs. And if you distort ACC costs the right way by saying that cheaper ACC costs mean less risk (because more risk costs more?) then I am safer cruising down SH 1 at 94kph in the pouring rain on my street legal full knobbies than I am on my LAMS 650 with good road tyres, linked braking system etc etc.

There isn't a 100% fair system - life is full of exceptions. My one and only motorcycle related ACC claim (which was simply a dose of concussion) was in 1975. A million motorcycling kilometres later and more than 30 years involved (as an extended part time job) in motorcycle training means that I have probably paid slightly more in ACC costs than I have cost ACC.

I don't like the corruptions and distortions that ACC has undergone over the last 30 years - but going back to the 1970's is probably not an option.

Motorcycling can be a high risk activity - but it doesn't have to be. If I make a mistake on a motorcycle it may hurt me. If I am in the way of someone else who makes the mistake then it will hurt me. So I ride accordingly. The person with the greatest benefit to gain in keeping me uninjured is me. So I consider that it is my responsibility to keep out of the way of those who make mistakes and to only make my mistakes where the consequences of my own stupidity won't hurt.

I accept the risks and responsibilities of riding a motorcycle. I'm totally addicted to riding and the buzz that a good ride gives me. I manage the costs of my addiction!
    Bloody good post
    Don't judge me based upon your ignorance.

Bike
    vulcanNomad
    But who on here knows or is asking what exactly our $30 ACC has given to Morgan and his cronies is achieving other than their first little junket to Melbourne
    Don't judge me based upon your ignorance.

Bike
    So old you won't care
    Quote Originally Posted by phill-k View Post
    But who on here knows or is asking what exactly our $30 ACC has given to Morgan and his cronies is achieving other than their first little junket to Melbourne
    Who cares?? Or more exactly where you honestly expecting anything other than a diminishing of your freedoms or a push to make motorcycling more expensive and elitist for the chosen few? The way its headed it will be stock factory bikes only of a limited type and capacity unless you can afford the certificates and extra tax...

Bike
    R1150RT
    Blog Entries
    You didn't seriously expect it to achieve anything did you? It was just a political sop for the noisy bikers ...and it worked they went away

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk 2

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Quote Originally Posted by phill-k View Post
    I've been asking (response is on one of the other threads somewhere), but its as everyone knows, they are up to fuck all. Questions generally take a few weeks and get a pretty standard we are working on it and will have an update soon response; which would be fine if they were actually working on it, and actually did make and update
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    Kate
    Quote Originally Posted by Bald Eagle View Post
    You didn't seriously expect it to achieve anything did you? It was just a political sop for the noisy bikers ...and it worked they went away

tut tut BE that's not fair. We haven't gone away but as they have "given" us this "sop" we have to prove its usability otherwise they will say we are just a bunch of noisy bikers. Can I take it you are willing to help make more noise if it proves to be a sop?

Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people. --- Unknown sage

Bike
    R1150RT
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oneofsix View Post
    tut tut BE that's not fair. We haven't gone away but as they have "given" us this "sop" we have to prove its usability otherwise they will say we are just a bunch of noisy bikers. Can I take it you are willing to help make more noise if it proves to be a sop?

Yes

Bike
    GSXR750, KTM350EXCF
    Quote Originally Posted by Bald Eagle View Post

The one I feel sorry for is StoneY.
    Everyone told him, well I did, what was going to happen but he just held onto the fact that it was going to do some good but I guess he found out what we all ready knew it was a pile of bollocks to shut us up.

But thumbs up to him at least he tried.

Bike
    Kate
    Quote Originally Posted by BoristheBiter View Post
    The one I feel sorry for is StoneY.
    Everyone told him, well I did, what was going to happen but he just held onto the fact that it was going to do some good but I guess he found out what we all ready knew it was a pile of bollocks to shut us up.

But thumbs up to him at least he tried.
    I feel sorry for StoneY because, knowing it was most likely to be political bullocks, he dived in to try and get it to work, got right royally shafted as part of their attempt to discredit BRONZ and bikers in general, and then some KBers jumped in boots and all to kick whilst he was hurting.
    Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people. --- Unknown sage

Bike
    It was on the good
    To be fair, he was a ginga.

Bike
    '74 MV Augusta I wish
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by merv View Post
    ... but if this was a proper insurance scheme I would have my own personal cover based on my personal record, no one else's, and it would be way less than I pay now through rego, that I do know.
    same plus 10

Bike
    SV1000, RG500, RD350
    Quote Originally Posted by p.dath View Post
    Back before ACC when there was only personal income cover, it cost about 30% more than ACC. Also, which is once of the reasons why the Royal Commission was created, was that insurance companies routinely declined to payout on serious claims, forcing their clients to take them to court. However these claims often failed to complete the court process - because the people were seriously injured and unable to complete the process - or died waiting to get money to pay for the treatment they needed.
    True - except everyone I know who can afford it has medical insurance and disability insurance - because ACC won't provide what was promised if it is needed. ACC is the worst combination of private insurance and social welfare, and doesn't do either well.
    (\_/)
    (O.o)
    (> <) Peace through superior firepower...
    Build your own dyno - PM me for the link of if you want to use it (bring beer)

Bike
    Sold
    One of ACC's biggest reasons to avoid payment is "age degeneration" of the accident victim!

This is happening more and more but one thing you don't get as you age is a degeneration of the ACC fee's that you pay!

My older brother got really smashed up in an accident and ACC refuses to cover any of the cost towards his limb reconstruction!

Their reason is that he has just grown old and there is a lot of degeneration involved. FFS!

Bike
    various
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oldrider View Post
    One of ACC's biggest reasons to avoid payment is "age degeneration" of the accident victim!

This is happening more and more but one thing you don't get as you age is a degeneration of the ACC fee's that you pay!

My older brother got really smashed up in an accident and ACC refuses to cover any of the cost towards his limb reconstruction!

Their reason is that he has just grown old and there is a lot of degeneration involved. FFS!
    Was this after National came in to power and started the work to prepare ACC for sale to their mates in the insurance industry?

May the bridges I burn light the way.

Follow Vinny's MX racing on www.mxvinny.com

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oldrider View Post

Did he get examined by one of ACCs Hitman Squad?
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/politics/n...ectid=10833828
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Thread Information