Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: So what's the best sports tourer?

Bike
    R1200GSA
    this is where you will get a roasting about the BMW needing you to bring tools along all the time. I guess it depends on where you tour and how close you are to help and how keen you are to be self sufficient.

On anything more than a day trip I will pack my mini compressor, the puncture repair kit lives permanently under the seat. Anything more than that and I am calling the AA. I have a ziplock that lived in my tank bag which had spare fuses, PVC tape, cable ties and a couple of bulbs. I have only ever opened that bag to help other people fix their own bikes.

I dislike tied on tank bags, so I got a tanklock, the filler on my Aprilia is not compatible with the Givi system and the tank is plastic so I no longer use a tankbag, that was good, I had to rethink the shit I was carrying and never using, ever.

One of the things I like about touring on the bike is being minimal with my packing, but a minimal way of fulfilling what I perceive to be my needs. Banditbandit hasnt told us the size of his Ventura pack, maybe its 150 litres
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulsterkiwi View Post
    this is where you will get a roasting about the BMW needing you to bring tools along all the time. I guess it depends on where you tour and how close you are to help and how keen you are to be self sufficient.
    Haha, yeah, thought afterwards.

It stems out of adventure riding, so yes, reasonably self sufficient, but also carrying a good range of tools, not just my own bike specific ones. Puncture repair and air compressor stuff are always on the bike in a handy lock box. I'm still realistic however there is plenty to go wrong and the only answer is a tow to "my nearest authorised workshop"

I don't use a tank bag much as I don't like the glare from the top when the sun is at certain angles, it restricts my movement adv riding and mostly just gets in the way. I do however use it, as sometimes the media rack is on the bike for camera guys, and covering events like Ironman, we're out for 12 hrs, and the top box isn't enough for all the gear we carry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    No idea how you do that...

Left pannier is tools and associated items (tape, flash light etc), usually a change of shoes, spare gloves, balaclava, wet weather gear and so on. Right pannier is oil, cloths, clothes and electrical gear (got a packing cell for chargers, card readers, power cables etc).

Top is either backpack with stuff like laptop, water bottles, wallet, cases for GPS, if no top box, maybe a tail pack, laptop is relocated to right pannier, and still stuff like water, mobile, wallet etc goes into the tail pack.
    Well, you can get almost as much in a Ventura bag as you can in two moderate panniers. More in some of the alternative rack mounted bags like R-Jays.

I'd still go with panniers, all things being equal, but they're not, it's a couple of hundred for a pack-rack and a couple of thousand for panniers.

And that's very close to my favourite rant about arsehole distributors flogging new toruiers minus the luggage, and selling it separately to all them poor destitute bikers. The cunts. So I'll say no more.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    Well, you can get almost as much in a Ventura bag as you can in two moderate panniers. More in some of the alternative rack mounted bags like R-Jays.

I'd still go with panniers, all things being equal, but they're not, it's a couple of hundred for a pack-rack and a couple of thousand for panniers.

And that's very close to my favourite rant about arsehole distributors flogging new toruiers minus the luggage, and selling it separately to all them poor destitute bikers. The cunts. So I'll say no more.
    The KTM 1290 GT, panniers are $1700. All the promo photos show the panniers fitted. The BMW S1000xr panniers are $1100 a side! For a bloody plastic box. Yes, cunts.

But I would have hard luggage over soft anyday.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    2015 Suzuki Wee-Strom
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    The KTM 1290 GT, panniers are $1700. All the promo photos show the panniers fitted. The BMW S1000xr panniers are $1100 a side! For a bloody plastic box. Yes, cunts.
    Ahh, but you could get Givi panniers for a mere $700 a pair. Admittedly you can get them in a lovely hi-vis yellow that fades so quickly you can actually see it changing colour if you do something stupid. Like take the panniers outside of a lightproof garage.

Unfortunately you then need another $400 for the mounting bracket.... Actually cost me $599 for the top box, and $430 for the mounting plate for the scooter.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan74 View Post
    Ahh, but you could get Givi panniers for a mere $700 a pair. Admittedly you can get them in a lovely hi-vis yellow that fades so quickly you can actually see it changing colour if you do something stupid. Like take the panniers outside of a lightproof garage.

Unfortunately you then need another $400 for the mounting bracket.... Actually cost me $599 for the top box, and $430 for the mounting plate for the scooter.
    Which is why you try to buy a bike with them already fitted.

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDGT
    Couple of shots from our last trip south, great bike , does all I want well, still gives me the grin.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2363.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	796.5 KB 
ID:	323201   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2525.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	807.3 KB 
ID:	323202  
    Political Correctness, the chief weapon of whiney arse bastards

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by buggerit View Post
    Couple of shots from our last trip south, great bike , does all I want well, still gives me the grin.
    Nice.

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by buggerit View Post
    There are a number of bikes Steve that will do that whole 'two up packed to the hilt do all you want and in reasonable comfort'. The CB was exceptional at this.

I got rid of the FA because of work restraints and the CB because of a brain fart moment.

Sold that 2013 FA for $10K. it had 4800 ks on clock.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	823.6 KB 
ID:	323204   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Huntly.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	320.2 KB 
ID:	323205  

Bike
    bandit

But I would have hard luggage over soft anyday.
    I had Krauser panniers on my BMW GS ... sides and top box

I hardly ever rode with the top box on (upset the handling) and I don't ever remember filling the panniers - even on a very long trip ..
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    2020 DL 1050 Vstrom RO
    Damn you all to purgatory!

All of you are just a bunch of "enablers" feigning helpfulness.

Just shook hands on a Bandit 1200 with full hard luggage for a February SI trip.

What to do with the 600 now? Huh, HUH?

Helpful suggestions welcomed. lol.

Bike
    Roadstar 1600 & Royal Star Venture
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Sport Touring is a bollocks label IMO.

The medias obsession to label a bike is becoming increasingly irrelevant with the pile of new 'do-it-all' on the road bikes.

Back in the 80's what we now call 'sport touring' was taking your GSX, Z, etc and bolting on a bikini fairing and pack rack - add some soft throw-over bags and instant sport touring. If you wanted it sportier a set of rear Street Stroker or Koni shocks, heavier weight fork oil and preload the front a bit with a stack of coins .......

The essence of what people refer to as Sport-touring now is not really different - a bloody good motorcycle that will do you and your partner fine for a full days travel. It's just that we have a bike from every brand to reference now. My idea of the best one will be different from yours and other posters - test ride and buy.

Yes I agree about what we did in the 1980's to go touring. Problem is, back then the UJM was still plentiful, but the Gpz900a was really the 'herald' of the 'sprotbike' of today.. Bikes {sprotties}have become more and more 'sport focussed' than an everyday ride. My current bike {CB1300s} is as close as you can get to a 1970/80's UJM {along with the GS1400 etc}.
    I would hazard that the European riders are where 'sport touring' originally hailed from. With a group of friends, I used to do regular 1000 miles 'blasts' from the UK to Spain for a 'long weekend'. We needed speed, 'enough' luggage capacity, decent fuel range and comfortable riding position/cockpit.
    BMW tourers were comfortable, but, not 'fast enough' , the UJM needed luggage, and a fairing for serious European motorway riding.
    I'd place the FJ1200 as the first 'Eurotourer'. Yamaha modified the fairing slightly and I believe tweaked the torque/cams from the 1100's settings. That bike is still regarded as a 'bloody good touring mount'.

'sport tourers' can be IMO categorised by a less sporting riding position, decent seat, good fuel economy when ridden smoothly, softer suspension to cope with 'average' road surfaces, large fuel tanks usually a fair bit heftier than a 'sprotty' but often a lot bloody faster ...
    The forerunner of the modern 'uber tourer' was the ZZR1100... fits all the above criteria, fast, comfortable, good range. Euro-touring needs a mix of motorway speeds and 'carving' ability. That bike and it's followers ZZR1200, ZXR1400, busa etc are all intercontinental 'missiles' that can consume big distances, FAST!
    By definition a 'sport tourer'.
    If the road to hell is paved with good intentions; and a man is judged by his deeds and his actions, why say it's the thought that counts? -GrayWolf

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Ouch. But good buying for someone. A lot of bike for the coin.
    Turns out it was to good to miss. Sitting outside now.

The mods have started.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Turns out it was to good to miss. Sitting outside now.

The mods have started.
    Good man. A lot of bike for the money. Reckon you'll be puling a extra 15 hp out of it in no time!

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Good man. A lot of bike for the money. Reckon you'll be puling a extra 15 hp out of it in no time!
    20hp and 10 torques at least.

Thread Information