Page 42 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3240414243 LastLast

Thread: MOTO-NZ finally come up with something for all our money

Bike
    The Black Pearl
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Flip View Post
    I am just about to pay Motonz another $30, wtf have I got for it?
    That feeling that now the govt is looking out for your safety? Bawahahahaahaahaaaaahaa
    Keep on chooglin'

Bike
    2005, Yamaha R6
    This is a re-post I did from Wellington Riders FB page a couple of days ago based on a BRONZ meeting last Wednesday night (19/06) that included representation from Moto NZ, as well the local district police commander for Wellington region.

Anyway feel free to comment; this was the first time Moto NZ reached out to the local community and thanks to Byron and Kim for hosting through BRONZ. They work hard behind the scenes to protect your rights as a motorcyclist. (Their site is http://www.bronzwellington.org.nz/)

MOTO NZ

Speaker - Dave of e-Riders came along and represented Moto NZ for the evening.

Great discussion amongst all who attended.

Why should you care? Because $30 of your rego goes to them. They are interested in YOUR ideas on how to spend it to benefit us out on the road. They are in the process of updating a form to be available on their website to make it easier to use.

The money is spent in conjunction with ACC in a complex relationship between several govt departments. They have so far collected $millions and have only allocated $50k in actual project spend.

1) LED Light Kit - Dave is of the opinion that hi-vis vests is not going to bring accidents down. However developing a simple enough and easy to use LED light kit that you can retrofit to any bike is one idea on how to make us more visible to other road users. Still in planning stage, but looking promising.

2) Stats analysis on crashes - primarily looking at road safety e.g. camber, road design and how this affects us (but not other road users). Dave was pretty instrumental in getting motorcyclists recognised as being road users as well as everyone else. He also stated that we're not 17x(?) times more at risk, but its our vulnerability that is the issue and how we manage this from a Govt perspective.

3) Gravel and Sheep were brought up in the discussion (surprise!). Moto NZ / NZTA(?) working on an app for smart phones called 'Thunder Maps' that allows anyone to raise a ticket re: road hazards. This is hopefully going to be tuned so that Motorcyclists can have more say on what is affecting them. I hate gravel. I hate sheep even more - hope to use this when either of the two get in my way

4) For reporting road issues Look up your local 'Road Controlling Authority'; for Wellington region, use this link (http://www.gw.govt.nz/reporting-road-issues/)

5) Subsidised rider courses are set to continue and are discounted by the ACC.

Hopefully this isn't the last Moto NZ "reachout" - I sincerely hope that they continue to consult with us all in the future.

THE POLICE

The local district commander came along and told us that Upper Hutt Council have been given a bunch of money from the ACC re: the amount of crashes happening on the Rimutakas last year.

Because of this I'd expect much more of a police presence around the hill in the run-up to the 'silly season' months in Spring /Summer time.

He focussed primarily on talking about the importance of pre - rider briefings & mentoring on group rides. They have no website / suggestion box as yet, but I'd hope that they would be working on it.

They also have a plan to target riders to fill out questionnaires to gather data on how to prevent so many accidents from happening on the hill. Riders would receive a free coffee voucher for completing the survey. A suggestion was made that they should target different demographics, different types of bikes, and on different days to get a more complete picture of how we all collectively go about riding on the hill. Hopefully they take this on board.

Bike
    Suzuki GSX S1000
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo_on_travels View Post
    This is a re-post I did from Wellington Riders FB page a couple of days ago based on a BRONZ meeting last Wednesday night (19/06) that included representation from Moto NZ, as well the local district police commander for Wellington region.

Anyway feel free to comment; this was the first time Moto NZ reached out to the local community and thanks to Byron and Kim for hosting through BRONZ. They work hard behind the scenes to protect your rights as a motorcyclist. (Their site is http://www.bronzwellington.org.nz/)

MOTO NZ

Great discussion amongst all who attended.

Why should you care? Because $30 of your rego goes to them. They are interested in YOUR ideas on how to spend it to benefit us out on the road. They are in the process of updating a form to be available on their website to make it easier to use.

The money is spent in conjunction with ACC in a complex relationship between several govt departments. They have so far collected $millions and have only allocated $50k in actual project spend.

1) LED Light Kit - Dave is of the opinion that hi-vis vests is not going to bring accidents down. However developing a simple enough and easy to use LED light kit that you can retrofit to any bike is one idea on how to make us more visible to other road users. Still in planning stage, but looking promising.

2) Stats analysis on crashes - primarily looking at road safety e.g. camber, road design and how this affects us (but not other road users). Dave was pretty instrumental in getting motorcyclists recognised as being road users as well as everyone else. He also stated that we're not 17x(?) times more at risk, but its our vulnerability that is the issue and how we manage this from a Govt perspective.

3) Gravel and Sheep were brought up in the discussion (surprise!). Moto NZ / NZTA(?) working on an app for smart phones called 'Thunder Maps' that allows anyone to raise a ticket re: road hazards. This is hopefully going to be tuned so that Motorcyclists can have more say on what is affecting them. I hate gravel. I hate sheep even more - hope to use this when either of the two get in my way

4) For reporting road issues Look up your local 'Road Controlling Authority'; for Wellington region, use this link (http://www.gw.govt.nz/reporting-road-issues/)

Hopefully this isn't the last Moto NZ "reachout" - I sincerely hope that they continue to consult with us all in the future.

Gee it must have taken all of 5 mins for them to come up with those ideas. Why does a LED kit need to be "developed" there are heaps of options on the market already.

Bike
    Road King
    Blog Entries
    Thats management talk for anal warts.

I want my $90 tax back you thieving w@nkers.
    Just another leather clad Tinkerbell.
    The Wanker on the Fucking Harley is going for a ride!

Bike
    All of them

If it's any help, it's tax money you would have had to pay anyway. It isn't an additional fee - it was part of the tax that was earmarked. And it seemed like a win at the time.

What they should do is add the interest accrued, but then I might flap my wings and fly to the moon too.

Bike
    Kate
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassmatt View Post
    Gee it must have taken all of 5 mins for them to come up with those ideas. Why does a LED kit need to be "developed" there are heaps of options on the market already.
    Having been at the meeting I would think Dave would agree with you. One of the problems they have is that your money can't be invested by them and ACC can't spend it with out their recommendation. They have to spend it on stuff no on else is doing for motorcyclists and it also has to be on road registered motorcyclists. Spending the money has to be guided by ACC criteria, Govt rule, but of course ACC don't have a criteria for our money, they have shit around interfacing with Govt dept etc but not us.

ACC being a govt dept you can't just say we will use off the shelf stuff unless you first specify which ones and why those ones. This is your "kit development", they wont be building their own kit. The interesting bit was why he choose LEDs or riding lights over hi-vis. The riding lights giving a better indication of distance and speed than the centralized main light(s), the distance between the side lights would, I suspect, have to be a condition of the kits.
    Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people. --- Unknown sage

Bike
    It was on the good
    Go on then, which member of KB is this?

motonz-welcomes-mark-gilbert-as-new-chair/

Bike
    2005, Yamaha R6
    He doesn't ride a bike apparently :/

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Bike
    PopTart Katoona
    Blog Entries
    I think the smartest move would be that if the cops turned a blind-eye to rego.
    For once I would like one govt department to go against another OUTSIDE the beehive. Like the good ol' days.
    Reactor Online. Sensors Online. Weapons Online. All Systems Nominal.

Bike
    PopTart Katoona
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oneofsix View Post
    They have to spend it on stuff no on else is doing for motorcyclists.
    I'm sorry but this is BS.
    They are an advisory committee. The job of an advisory committee or consultant is to place the suggestions forward for funding, and advise at proposed outcomes. Suggestions CAN tie in to collaborated ideas, or can utilised/fund/back existing initiatives - if it aligns with the ideals of the committee. I should know I'm on a few.

They are not to run this as an R&D department. There is no requirement for them to develop SHIT. As I am also involved in these. There is a very clear distinction between the 2. One advise on existing solutions, one develops new ones.
    McSAC may have changed their name - but their primary function is to advise, not develop new initiatives.
    Reactor Online. Sensors Online. Weapons Online. All Systems Nominal.

Bike
    89 GPX750, 06KLR650

MOTO NZ

Interesting, I know in my case that sounds expensive. 1, I am already near the maximum wattage for my bikes output by adding heated grips, GPS Hardwired etc. I would also need to guard the lenses the same as my headlight is due to riding a lot of Gravel roads.

3) Gravel and Sheep were brought up in the discussion (surprise!). I hate gravel. I hate sheep even more - hope to use this when either of the two get in my way
    I love gravel, some of best places to go in NZ are down a mix of sealed and Gravel roads. The sheep/ cattle / Deer one is interesting. The best answer would be to get Farmers to maintain the fences properly. It is interesting that you hardly ever see wandering stock on the main highways, yet some rural areas, and secondary roads you can almost guarantee running into some wandering stock somewhere.

[/QUOTE]

Good to hear, although I am yet to see any subsidised courses that would relate to the sort of riding I do.

Quote Originally Posted by oneofsix View Post
    The riding lights giving a better indication of distance and speed than the centralized main light(s), the distance between the side lights would, I suspect, have to be a condition of the kits.
    The distance between, and how diffused the light are both needed. Unfortunately if the distance between is large it well make them very vulnerable to breakage from minor drops which could make it expensive for learners and adventure bike riders. So hopefully some common sense well prevail
    Paul’s Adventure riding Photo’s

Latest photo's

Paved Roads are just another example of Wasted Taxpayer Dollars

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by rustic101 View Post

I've had mates fall from the bottom rung of ladders and kill themselves - Should we ban ladders?
    how many????

Bike
    2010 Honda CB1000R Predator
    Blog Entries
    I suspect we'll get 10 years down the road and the fund will be mostly un-touched. Then the tricky bit will be what do do with the build up of all of those funds.

I wonder if it would be enough to fund 12 months of rego for every rider.

Bike
    The Black Pearl
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by p.dath View Post
    I suspect we'll get 10 years down the road and the fund will be mostly un-touched. Then the tricky bit will be what do do with the build up of all of those funds.

I wonder if it would be enough to fund 12 months of rego for every rider.
    Nothing tricky about it. Either straight into the slush fund, or a war fund against bikers or simply spend it on junkets for the committee.
    Keep on chooglin'

Bike
    various
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Smifffy View Post
    Nothing tricky about it. Either straight into the slush fund, or a war fund against bikers or simply spend it on junkets for the committee.
    I must have missed the questioner re what bikers want to be done with the money...

May the bridges I burn light the way.

Follow Vinny's MX racing on www.mxvinny.com

Thread Information