Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1200 sportster pinking

Bike
    big shiney pommy thing

1200 sportster pinking

Has any one out there experienced their 1200 sporty pinking?
    I have an 04 which will pink under fast throttle pull with a pillion on.
    Running 95 octane (even tried rip off bp 98 octane but still the same)
    Any ideas ?

Bike
    KTM 690 DUKE R
    Import Leaded Fuel from the 1960's?

Bike
    Bikes!
    Might wanna list your mods (filter, pipes, whatever) mate, a factory one shouldn't do that of course, but it's easy to upset the ballance when adding bolt on parts. Other useful stuff; is it NZ new? Fuel injected? Has it always done it? Started recently?

Bike
    Il4 and Vtwin
    Mine had that problem when I bored her out but that was a 2000 pre rubbamount the popular trend (Internet forums) was to change the ignition module, after much discussion with kiwi ingenuity, simply retarding the ignition plate 2mm solved it . Is your ignition that simple or is it all electronic FI system that is becoming a dealers dream ie any alterations you have to make you have to bring it in so we can dowload a patch for the computer.

Bike
    KTM 1190 Adv R and a bunch of dirties
    Normally it is the timing being too far advanced.

Does it do it more at low-ish revs and loading the engine, like going up a hill? If so it is more likely to just be the timing.

Check or get the timing checked / retarded as first step.
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

Bike
    MT09 Tracer
    Check the vacuum advance hose hasn't split or fallen off.

(PT)
    Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow aren’t just the 4 cycles of an engine

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Never ever heard mine ping under ANY load.

First off - you're not winding on the throttle at too low revs?

Second, it sounds like you need your timing retarded a degree or so.

But the pinking must be bloody loud if you can hear it over all the other noises Sportys make!!!!
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    big shiney pommy thing
    Thanks guys for your feedback.
    Just got the bike she is a carb model will pink only 2 up at normally snapping to wide open throttle when passing etc.
    Has a screaming eagle air filter rest is standard.
    Cheers

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Quote Originally Posted by machine head View Post
    Just got the bike she is a carb model will pink only 2 up at normally snapping to wide open throttle when passing etc.
    Cheers
    Sounds like maybe a lean mixture, possibly combined with too much ignition advance.

But you could live with it the way it is as long as you don't try to wing the throttle while loaded with a lardy pillion.
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    mutton dressed up as lamb and a 73 XL250
    Just been talking to a mate with a sporty and he has the same problem........hes a fuel tanker driver and well up on the fuel thing.......he just spent 1/2 an hour explaining the ins and outs of petrol which to me was just a blur........basically he reckons its an octane thing with the sporty.......one way i thought of nailing it sdown would be to put a bit of octane booster shit in it the next time you fill up........if it stops it bingo......if not i would look hard at the eagle air filter and adjust mixture to suit.
    Be the person your dog thinks you are...

Bike
    Cheers
    Quote Originally Posted by scumdog View Post
    Sounds like maybe a lean mixture, possibly combined with too much ignition advance.

But you could live with it the way it is as long as you don't try to wing the throttle while loaded with a lardy pillion.
    I agree, it sounds like it might be leaning out. If you have the high flow air cleaner then you should also have the carb re-jetted and the exhaust de-restricted. All three things share a symbiotic relationship so they all need to be modified together to keep the bike running properly.

Nice to see another local Sporty pilot on the site, by the way.

Bike
    So old you won't care
    Has any one out there experienced their 1200 sporty pinking?
    It's turning Gay!

Seriously - ANY big twin will 'pink' if you give it a big gob full of gas at low rpm - particularly if it has a pumper carb. You need to either feed in the throttle a little easier OR change down into a lower gear to get the revs up.

If thats unacceptable then knock the ignition back a couple of degrees (remember the factory setting is a general guide - it varies from bike to bike)

Cheers

Bike
    big shiney pommy thing

fixed!

Thanks for all the info.
    Took bike to dealer they downloaded the latest ecm program (didn't know it even had one!) and all good!

Bike
    Il4 and Vtwin
    Thanks for all the info.
    Took bike to dealer they downloaded the latest ecm program (didn't know it even had one!) and all good!
    Bid sad when we have to take it to a dealer to make an alteration, but that's progress I suppose. Oh well back to the playstation I'm winning Brock is 2 sec's behind until I paused him. To reply to this thread.

Bike
    Il4 and Vtwin
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    It's turning Gay!

Seriously - ANY big twin will 'pink' if you give it a big gob full of gas at low rpm - particularly if it has a pumper carb. throttle a little easier OR change down into a lower gear to get the revs up.
    I disagree there is that much information out there about big V-Twins (ie Harleys) that these motors probably have the most support and backup available because of the interest and dedication of wanabes and real enthusistic followers. You get the right advice and your do it right first time. That is the problem with Harley's who do you listen to.

Thread Information