Page 43 of 64 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast

Thread: Projects At Home During Lockdown

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Where the hell did you find that? That engine is coming apart. Either you do it or it will eventually unwrap itself.
    Yeah, it has 60psi compression on all four.

I've decided to yank the motor out at least.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Exercycle
    That's the thin part of the casting beside a bearing locating half circlip. Probably from behind the clutch or final drive sprocket.
    Fizable without welding, using liquid metal or cable ties. But it's a bare cases, level 2 job.

Go ahead stripping and cleaning it.

If you want more capacity - and I wouldn't - look for pistons in the interval.

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    Here's the other side of the mystery addition to the oil pickup.
    Looking at the wear mark on it its been rattling around in the oil pickup for ages.
    If it was critical the engine would have blown up the moment it fell off. Engines are full of useless junk that does nothing.
    People panic too much.
    Ol mate Jeff pulled bits of broken ball bearing out of his 1098 sump & ran two more meetings without problems.
    I must find out what it was from, that's if hes bothered to strip it.

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    Looking at the wear mark on it its been rattling around in the oil pickup for ages.
    If it was critical the engine would have blown up the moment it fell off. Engines are full of useless junk that does nothing.
    People panic too much.
    Ol mate Jeff pulled bits of broken ball bearing out of his 1098 sump & ran two more meetings without problems.
    I must find out what if was from, that's if hes bothered to strip it.
    While I agree in principle, it would be nice to establish which gearbox shaft could possibly move sideways at the wrong moment...

The Duc is probably one of the double row mains breaking up. If one row stays together, you're fine.
    The 888's were notorious for breaking up mains. If you were serious you used high speed specials which were available - at a cost.....

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ...thank fuck my vision doesn't stray past CB's, is all I can add...and the other ones...T's...

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by ellipsis View Post
    ...thank fuck my vision doesn't stray past CB's, is all I can add...and the other ones...T's...
    How's the firewood coming along ?

We had a medium size Mac taken down just prior to lockdown. I thought I'd hire a logsplitter when things opened up again.
    But I've been doing a couiple of rounds every second day - and burning it green. Which it does well.
    I'm now looking at what's left - and how soon I can get a logsplitter - and wondering whether I'll actually have to hire one at all.

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ...still have two big macros to come down, a giant 100 year old walnut that is bordering on dangerous and four fucking tall and shaggy ribbonwoods that I didn't notice getting away on me...the ribbonwoods are that close to the house that I have boarded the windows down one side of the house with ply, just in case I put them through the windows when I drop them, which is the a definite Murphy's Law prospect...

...that's next years wood though...I managed to get out and about with the trailer and score enough dry gum and willow and assorted shit that lazy cunts leave hanging around, just for me...my little saw gets a hammering these days, my bigger ones are getting too heavy to heave around up trees...

...someone did suggest I get a 'professional', in...after 45 years of cutting and dropping my own stuff I told them to fuck off back to their tv watching...

Bike
    As many as I can get away with
    ...someone did suggest I get a 'professional', in...after 45 years of cutting and dropping my own stuff I told them to fuck off back to their tv watching...
    I was standing on the top of my old motorhome on a step ladder trimming the tree out the front of my place and my pencil pushing neighbour said something about OSH...I get on good with him so just told him to 'go away'

Bike
    suzuki
    , a giant 100 year old walnut that is bordering .
    good time to stand and reflect on life when you cut down something that you planted all those years ago.

Bike
    less than I used to have
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    good time to stand and reflect on life when you cut down something that you planted all those years ago.
    ...not so far from the truth in a lot of instances around our country spot...I planted about 20 Nitens, (Gum) as a southerly wind break and about 30 Ribbonwoods on our west boundary...while the kids were growing and we were busy doing the life thing, they kind of got away...the gums got to about 20 meters high and a meter and a half around the base and the Ribbonwoods like wise but not as big at the base...

...they all had to go in the end...too big and too dangerous and we never really noticed how enclosed we had become...a bit like not noticing your kids growing until they are gone...

...the Walnut was planted on the first birthday of a bloke called Roy French, by his father who was the blacksmith out here...we met Roy when he was 93 and wanted to return to see his tree before he died...it was a fantastic afternoon and we learned the answers to all of our questions regards the house history and local history...from the horses mouth...I knew the house had been built in 1908 as I found the initials and date of the scrim and wallpaper being hung by a local tradesman from that time...

...Roy's father had the house built...cool shit and we felt very fortunate to learn all this...Roy died at 94, not long after seeing his tree...as an aside, his father had imported the seed for the tree from Japan, which makes it an oddity as nearly all the older Walnuts out on the Peninsula were of French origin...some coming from where Napoleon was buried...

...It will be sad to cut it down but it is easy 5 meters around the base and rotting from the inside...my little saw is not going to cut the mustard, on that job...

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    ...not so far from the truth in a lot of instances around our country spot...I planted about 20 Nitens, (Gum) as a southerly wind break and about 30 Ribbonwoods on our west boundary...while the kids were growing and we were busy doing the life thing, they kind of got away...the gums got to about 20 meters high and a meter and a half around the base and the Ribbonwoods like wise but not as big at the base...

...they all had to go in the end...too big and too dangerous and we never really noticed how enclosed we had become...a bit like not noticing your kids growing until they are gone...

...the Walnut was planted on the first birthday of a bloke called Roy French, by his father who was the blacksmith out here...we met Roy when he was 93 and wanted to return to see his tree before he died...it was a fantastic afternoon and we learned the answers to all of our questions regards the house history and local history...from the horses mouth...I knew the house had been built in 1908 as I found the initials and date of the scrim and wallpaper being hung by a local tradesman from that time...

...Roy's father had the house built...cool shit and we felt very fortunate to learn all this...Roy died at 94, not long after seeing his tree...as an aside, his father had imported the seed for the tree from Japan, which makes it an oddity as nearly all the older Walnuts out on the Peninsula were of French origin...some coming from where Napoleon was buried...

...It will be sad to cut it down but it is easy 5 meters around the base and rotting from the inside...my little saw is not going to cut the mustard, on that job...
    Very interesting. Our cottage is pre 1860 and the history we unearth is amazing.

That walnut may be worth a bob or two. A friends father planted walnuts and redwoods as an inheritance for his kids, you could say he hedged for the future..
    Manopausal.

Bike
    VFR800

It's great hearing about the history of a place like that.

A few years before he died, we took our Grandad back to where he grew up in Temuka. He wasn't well but really perked up when we got there, so we heard plenty of stories about the place.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Presumably the 100year old walnut will produce some lovely timber. It should keep the interior of a few Jaaaaags and Rolls Royces sorted.

Here's the actual other side of the metal thingy I found in my oil pickup. It seems clear it has broken out of somewhere.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200427_183918.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	613.1 KB 
ID:	345779  
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    Presumably the 100year old walnut will produce some lovely timber. It should keep the interior of a few Jaaaaags and Rolls Royces sorted.

Here's the actual other side of the metal thingy I found in my oil pickup. It seems clear it has broken out of somewhere.
    Looks like a bearing retainer to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    2022 Honda CB500X, CBR150RS F4 Bucket
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    something that you planted all those years ago.
    Love it! Yeah, he is about that old!
    Sometimes you wish it was easier, but if it was, everyone else would do it, then you remember you don't want to be like everybody else!

Thread Information