Page 868 of 2629 FirstFirst ... 36876881885886686786886987087891896813681868 ... LastLast
Results 13,006 to 13,020 of 39427

Thread: ESE's works engine tuner

Bike
    Suzuki GP125 Bucket
    The EFI and a bit of a review of the other innovations.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CopperHead.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	233.7 KB 
ID:	289765

Copper Head.

Name:	PressureBleader2.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	225.1 KB 
ID:	289769 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PressureBleader.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	235.8 KB 
ID:	289770

Pressure Bleed

Name:	BBInlet2.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	233.3 KB 
ID:	289764

Boost Bottle and Ball Valve Inlet.

Name:	LowerExDam.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	228.7 KB 
ID:	289768

Exhaust port floor dam.

Name:	Target Ex80 Trn114 In145-85 RS pipe.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	216.5 KB 
ID:	289766

An older but good carburetor curve, the challange will be to see if the EFI setup and the other inovations can better it.

Exciting times at Team ESE.

Bike
    Honda NS-1 / Gas Gas EC-125
    10ms at 8000 rpm is too slow, not that I ever messed with EFI(for now, will try that in the future), but 8000 rpm is 133Hz, 10ms is 100Hz, so, you are not injecting every rev, don't know how that ECU works, but that might explain the strange behavior.

About the fins, old sachs engines have huge finned heads and cylinders, with radial fins coming from the center of the head, and the crankcases also have fins in the bottom going all the way through the cases, and to some extent, zundapp and casal engines have fins in the crankcases.
    Hope I'm not saying stupid things

Bike
    RG50 and 76 Suzuki GP125 Buckets
    Quote Originally Posted by senso View Post
    ... the crankcases also have fins in the bottom going all the way through the cases ...
    Do the fins stick up into the gearbox oil on the inside? if they did this would greatly improve heat transfer and is something I am thinking of doing. It would be great to know if its been done before.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Woohoo, I wasn't expecting the peak power to get so close to the best carbed output so soon!

Must be great knowing you can smooth the curve out in certain areas, and not change anything that's happening at the top.

I was musing this morning, if I made a belt driven disk valve on the GT could it just have two holes in it at 180° to run a single carb/throttle body?

Bike
    Honda NS-1 / Gas Gas EC-125
    No, the inside of the cases is smooth, I don't have a photo here, but I can get some photos of zundapp and sachs engines in the weekend, if you want.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by TZ350 View Post
    Do the fins stick up into the gearbox oil on the inside? if they did this would greatly improve heat transfer and is something I am thinking of doing. It would be great to know if its been done before.
    Would Mr Yoshimura's trick, of just putting dimples all over the surface have a similar effect? Can't see why it wouldn't work on the inside of the cases like, and every motor used to get hours of Mrs Yoshimuras attention with a drill.

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by TZ350 View Post
    It's been done before, yes, but AFAIK only on car sumps. After all, they have the depth to fit finning in.

Most extreme case i know of is Bugatti - he ran small dia tubes through the sump front to rear which were open to outside air. That would certainly increase the surface area available for heat transfer.

If you're going to try dry sump or pump cooling the box, I'd arrange the line in from the cooler or tank as a spray onto the rear wall of the crank chamber.

Bike
    TZ400
    Just finished dyno runs on the TZ400, could not have wished for a better result.
    Ran it as modelled in EngMod and amazed how close the ignition was.
    Just love the flat torque curve, will be an easy bike to ride pulling out of slow corners way better than any piston port could hope to do.
    Hit 80RW Hp on the 1st run on a DynoJet 168 with variable load simulating increasing aero with speed = 255KM/Hr max
    Added alot more mid advance and ramped out the top end, to get good of corner response and some more overev power bandwidth..
    Quickly got to the stage of having to use fuel to keep the temps under 1260*F at 11500rpm +
    So the final all gear runs were quite rich but fully safe and repeatable at 82.8Hp.
    This is dead on 12% losses at the rear wheel from the sim prediction,as I expected, and makes the model spot on for power and peak rpm.
    If I now rerun the sim with the dyno ignition it will be so close everywhere ,as to be scary good.
    One thing I discovered is that the 40mm Lectrons ( legal for Pre 82 Post Classic ) are super sensitive to float level.
    1mm height change = dead on 50*F which is what you would see normally with a single main jet change.
    So it was a juggle of float height, needle position and powerjet size to get an accurate fuel curve with good part throttle roll on as well as temp control up top.
    Best solution I am now convinced is to run inline solenoids on the powerjets, switch them on to extend the overev ( instead of ramping out alot of timing ) then turn them off
    to keep the temps consistent well into overev if needed.
    The speed shift works a treat with minimal power drop time between each change.
    My son will edit the vids tonight and upload to YouTube, will post the link asap.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6 Gear Run.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	269.0 KB 
ID:	289771   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Initial Settup.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	690.9 KB 
ID:	289772   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TZ400 Final EngMod.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	308.1 KB 
ID:	289773  
    Ive got a thing thats unique and new.To prove it I'll have the last laugh on you.Cause instead of one head I got two.And you know two heads are better than one.

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    [IMG] photo IMG_4456_zps2d1ffdec.jpg[/IMG]

Cylinder mould building is slow, due to lack of time available. I had to change the main core mould to allow for these dimples to be made in the cylinder core. These are needed to fit ( glue ) the transfer cores to. Transfer cores not made yet. Evantually we want a hard sand core that looks like this.

Bike
    RS/KE125, PW50
    Quote Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
    Best solution I am now convinced is to run inline solenoids on the powerjets, switch them on to extend the overev ( instead of ramping out alot of timing ) then turn them off
    to keep the temps consistent well into overev if needed.

Wobbly you mentioned previously -
    "switching the powerjet puts less heat into the piston, more into the pipe, to create overev power. Its inherently "safe" as the bmep is low and the heat isnt going to sieze anything when you are over the top of the torque curve".
    Does this hold true for air cooled motors?

I have just setup my bucket with an inline powerjet solenoid. Its a normally closed air solenoid that vents the powerjet line to atmosphere thereby cutting the vacuum induced fuel feed through the powerjet.
    With my combination of 198deg exhaust timing and the late model RS125 pipe there might be a few more revs to exploit by turning off the powerjet. Main concern is the effect on temp on the poor old thermally challenged air cooled motor. While theres no noticeable power fade on the dyno or track the motor does seem to get very hot.
    Bike is running Avgas and a number 30 Keihin powerjet, power output drops dead at 12000rpm.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kels 27hp KE125.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	248.7 KB 
ID:	289777  

Bike
    YLR150RR and a RD350LC
    Quote Originally Posted by kel View Post
    Bike is running Avgas and a number 30 Keihin powerjet, power output drops dead at 12000rpm.
    I thought you said avgas was the devils fuel.
    My neighbours diary says I have boundary issues

Bike
    RS/KE125, PW50
    Quote Originally Posted by Yow Ling View Post
    I thought you said avgas was the devils fuel.
    Yep the sooner its banned the better

Bike
    TZ400
    The heat generated by going leaner over the top of the pipe will mostly be transmitted into the pipe.
    Thus maybe the Ex duct in the cylinder will get hotter, but I dont see that being a limiting issue.
    What is the ignition curve, as this may be limiting the overev power past 12,000
    Ive got a thing thats unique and new.To prove it I'll have the last laugh on you.Cause instead of one head I got two.And you know two heads are better than one.

Bike
    Aprilia GP 125 & 250, 91 & 92 models
    Quote Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
    The heat generated by going leaner over the top of the pipe will mostly be transmitted into the pipe.
    Thus maybe the Ex duct in the cylinder will get hotter, but I dont see that being a limiting issue.
    What is the ignition curve, as this may be limiting the overev power past 12,000
    Wobbly, this increased heat within the exhaust, would it lead to increased heat upon the piston skirt and if to great result in the burning away of the skirt about and below the ring groove / no burning away of the piston above the ring

Power jet issue and or timing issue ?

Bike
    RG50 and 76 Suzuki GP125 Buckets
    Quote Originally Posted by bucketracer View Post
    Hi TeeZee, I am following this with interest.

Attachment 289756Attachment 289759Attachment 289760

Great to see this coming together.

Attachment 289757

The first EFI graph at 22 hp starts of better than tonight's one but great to see the extra range, very promising.

Attachment 289758

So no doubt some fueling adjustments will improve tonights curve.

28+ hp, this is starting to get exciting.
    Bucket here is a graph of the two EFI dyno sessions compared to a good carburetor run on the same cylinder and setup.

Name:	The Beast EFI to Carb comparison.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	230.3 KB 
ID:	289788

Green line is how it runs with a carb, the Red line is my first EFI dyno run, it turns out that it was set up to run very rich so as to get some fuel through the transfer ports on time and the Blue line is after adjusting the injection end point.

Its great having a carburetor graph of the same cylinder for a comparison, but it looks like a lot of work to do yet to get the EFI system to better the carburetor results.

I expect that with more work on the fuel injection map and injection end point plus injector cross over point I will be able to get EFI curves like the carburettor one.

Name:	Injection Slot in Piston.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	237.4 KB 
ID:	289789

I am trying to get the injected fuel to squirt up inside the piston crown for cooling of the piston top from the underside and better fuel vaporization.

I am hoping the EFI system will give me more under piston cooling and by being able to control the fueling more accurately some reduction in detonation during over rev (13,000 + rpm).

With the carburetor set up, over rev and part throttle deto is a real problem.

Name:	Injectors in the back of the  Cylinder.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	233.5 KB 
ID:	289786

The small capacity injector is on the right and discharges over the rotary valve inlet side, bigger injector is in the middle and the injector on the left is disconnected at the moment.

I will try adjusting the switch over point as I want the small injector for starting and low end running and then to swap over to the big injector in the middle for power running and cooling the piston.

You can see the bike running badly on the dyno here:- http://youtu.be/6yl4NvAK5YM

The oscillations were cured by adjusting the injection end time.

In just a few ms the crank has rotated many degrees. ie, the minimum time for pico iwp injectors is 2ms and 2ms at 12,000 rpm = 144 degrees and the transfers are only open for 132.

So its quite a juggling act to get the biggest injector for the shortest injection time without dropping below the 2ms lower limit or being to small and needing to long and taking up to many degrees of crank rotation to inject enough fuel.

Name:	The Beast EFI 004.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	236.0 KB 
ID:	289787

Ecotrons has an "injection point end" Map that allows you to tailor the injection end point to suit throttle position and rpm.

Thread Information