Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A lesson learnt.

Bike

Arrow A lesson learnt.

Went for a ride yesterday with a Mate. We keep the speed well down and hit some country roads. I was leading and we had cow shit and mud on the road for about 5 km. I was thinking the mud and shit was from Farmers grazing the road side so we were being very careful. We got to a bit wider and better quality of road and speed up a bit. Still plenty of shit and mud but not as bad. This road has a long straight in it. Nothing could be seen on the road for the hole length of the road. So we got up to 110 k's. I was still leading. My mate dropped back a bit and stepped out to the middle of the road. I came over the top of a dip and there were 100 Dairy heifers on the move. Bunched up and not wanting to move for the farmers. Going away from us. Hidden from view till you got to the top of the dip. I dived on the brakes hard and came to a stop with plenty of room but just as I put my foot down I felt a hit on my right elbow followed by a smacking sound and then the skidding of a back tyre. Yep my mate had just side swiped me. The smacking sound was his mirror hitting my right hand mirror and the hit on the elbow was his mirror going passed. He stopped in time and no damage was done.
    But the lesson is Ride to stop and stay staggered on the road. If he had been behind me he would have taken me out.
    Also Mr Farmer please put some cones or something out. When there is shit for miles it is not enough for us to assume you are still on the road.
    If I had been with the other group I tag along with I think a few people would have got a ride in the helicopter. Pleased we kept it slow.

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    bluddy gungho, she'll-be-right farmers eh?
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    Seriously tho. There is a valuable lesson there. Don't try any shit on the road whilst there is shit on the road. Be ready for anything & always have an escape plan in mind.
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by MSTRS
    bluddy gungho, she'll-be-right farmers eh?
    No. Not at all, must have been our fault. Out Crownthorp way. You know the road. Up by Hawkes Bay Dairy's place. Not far from the Crownthorp school. I think you may have done a little more than 100 kmh on that road in the passed but I could be wrong.

Bike
    big gay1 that I am not licenced to use
    Ah, very wise.

I always inform those who I ride with to ride staggered as I get paranoid when they are right behind me, glad it all held up and didnt come to a more disasterous incident.
    Yay for logical thinking?..

Back country roads are for local use,and when I'm on them I concider myself on their ground.The clues were there.There was stock over the hill and you can lay the blame on the farmer for any damages....but there could of been anything else as well....ok,we can find someone to blame there too - but pretty soon we are going to run out of excuses....
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    1990 Yamaha Virago XV1100
    I think you both did well avoiding the catastrophe. As you say, lesson learnt, and thanks for sharing - we can all learn from this.
    Can I believe the magic of your size... (The Shirelles)

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    Able to stop in the clear road ahead, even over a hill. Well done that man, give him an oran-utan.

Message here for all of us - clear ain't clear if your mate's in it !
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion
    Message here for all of us - clear ain't clear if your mate's in it !
    I like that. Well said that man

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer 4 ever
    No. Not at all, must have been our fault. Out Crownthorp way. You know the road. Up by Hawkes Bay Dairy's place. Not far from the Crownthorp school. I think you may have done a little more than 100 kmh on that road in the passed but I could be wrong.
    Not me - never been on that road. There may be other roads tho

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Motu
    Back country roads are for local use,and when I'm on them I concider myself on their ground.The clues were there.There was stock over the hill and you can lay the blame on the farmer for any damages....but there could of been anything else as well....ok,we can find someone to blame there too - but pretty soon we are going to run out of excuses....
    Next they'll be want each and every cow to have flashing lights

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonez
    Next they'll be want each and every cow to have flashing lights
    I never put the blame on anyone else. So why these comments?

Bike
    97 Yamaha Virago

Cool

The main thing is that you both keep the bikes upright...
    and you are both ok.

Take care out there on the back country roads especially after the cows have been for a walk....

Bike
    keyboard jockey
    Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer 4 ever
    Also Mr Farmer please put some cones or something out. When there is shit for miles it is not enough for us to assume you are still on the road.:

he had cows out....................

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    Quote Originally Posted by mikey
    he had cows out....................
    Yes, see, he was moving his cones from one paddock to another. So he put cows out to warn motorists.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Thread Information