Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ATGATT - don't knock it.

Bike
    KLR650 WR450
    Quote Originally Posted by James Deuce View Post
    You're just lucky. ATGATT did me no fucking good at all.
    I think you might be comparing apples with oranges

You road guys seem to be mainly concerned with abrasion resistance and think a pair of softish leather boots and some flexible padding in jacket and pants is adequate protection.

Struan was wearing a proper solid armoured pressure suit and separate hard plastic knee protection along with rigid mx boots - That - in my humble opinion - is proper adventure riding ATGATT.

Like dirt riders most adventure bike riders are possibly a little more concerned about impact injury than abrasion injury.

Bike
    Yamaha DT230
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
    glad you OK....thats sacry though, that someone is willing to risk killing someone, I'd be phoning the bobbies....the next rider might not be as fortuneate as you!!
    I am making "enquiries" to get the (road) issue fixed & why it was there in the first place. But really this thread is about safety gear & how in this instance I reckon the better gear saved my bacon.

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by marks View Post
    I think you might be comparing apples with oranges

You road guys seem to be mainly concerned with abrasion resistance and think a pair of softish leather boots and some flexible padding in jacket and pants is adequate protection.

Struan was wearing a proper solid armoured pressure suit and separate hard plastic knee protection along with rigid mx boots - That - in my humble opinion - is proper adventure riding ATGATT.

Like dirt riders most adventure bike riders are possibly a little more concerned about impact injury than abrasion injury.

I think you might be confusing me with a dickhead. I was wearing full leathers with hard Armour at knees and elbows, boots that were rigid enough to be problematic to walk in, a back protector, a carbon fibre helmet and gloves with carbon fibre knuckle protectors. Abrasion resistance at 75 km/hr would be dealt with by a pair of Draggins.

The fact I still have a right foot is entirely down to my boots, the fact I'm alive is down to my helmet. The rib injures, the internal injuries and the gouges at knee and elbow are entirely down to supposedly superior leather gear and back protector failing and the "hard" armour shattering and the resulting shrapnel violating my inner sanctum. Actual injuries from sliding down the road had nothing to do with it.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    I have a theory that knees are like a fuse e.g. a deliberate weak point that stops things (hips, pelvises) getting damaged further up the line. Ergo if you put a knee brace on you may break your hip if it is a twisting type injury.
    Don't know about knees being an evolutionary sacrificial structure, when you fuck 'em they're usually well fucked compared typical damage to ankles or hips. Ankles and hips articulate through any angle, up to a reasonable distance, knees simply don't. In the seventies I bought a pair of Vendraminis, essentially full MX height ski boots. They were a bloody disaster, my knees coped it something wicked.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    2004 SV1K
    Glad your okay mate, I bet it was that Fucker Nick Smith trying to prove a point by booby trapping the road
    http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...ct-anyone-else

Bike
    that black thing above the puddle of oil
    Glad to hear you're OK. Good gear certainly helps, but I'm guilty of riding the 3km to work in t-shirt and shorts. I've had a shit load more close calls riding that same 3km on a push bike.

One bit of advice that's kept me alive for the last few decades is 'never outride your braking distance'. I can't say I always obey this, but the theory is sound, except when some idiot coming the other way is riding like a lunatic.
    Showing off for the camera since ages ago

Barts Photos
    Barts adventure photo thread

Bike
    Yamaha DT230
    Quote Originally Posted by marks View Post
    glad to hear that you are ok

buy a set of these THOR Force Kneeguards

I have tested my set many times and I don't think you will get better protection without getting proper knee braces.
    Thanks for the link Mark. I think Nordie uses those too.

Bike
    BMW R1200GS hexhead.Suzuki DR650K6,CT110
    Glad to hear you're OK Struan and thanks for posting the timely reminder to us all about the importance of good protective gear - cheers S
    those who mind don’t matter, and those who matter don’t mind..

Bike
    None any more
    There's no such thing as "all the gear". Adequacy of gear is a matter of time and place. What may have worked for some does not mean that others will be afforded the same levels of protection.

Abrasion resistance is paramount for any motorcyclist, or scooter rider for that matter. Missing skin is quite hard to replace, as is missing flesh. Broken bones are comparatively easier to deal with.

I am constantly startled by riders who don't wear gloves, or who wear fingerless gloves. I am also startled by those who ride in short-sleeve shirts, tee shirts and shorts. I saw several such at Mt Maunganui last weekend. But hey, they're not going to fall off, so what does that matter?

Similar arguments can be raised about open-face helmets, or those stupid turtle lids that Harley riders who like their ears to flap in the wind like to wear. They are even DOT/Snell rated, more's the worry.

Every significant off that I have had has resulted in considerable grazing to the chin protection on my helmet. I would be even more chinless if I had been resolute enough to wear an openface.

I remain to be convinced about the value of armour because I'm not sure what it's supposed to protect one from. It may disperse the forces of some impacts but not others, particularly point impact sources, like posts.

So if there's no such thing as "all the gear" then it can't be worn "all the time". That's why I rail against that as I do against all similar lame cliches that have become battle cries.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    10 HUSQ TE310, 06 HONDA HORNET 900
    fark pal, glad you are ok
    2008 DB1K 1dayer - 2006 XR250L
    2009 DB1k 1dayer - 2005 KLX400R
    2010 DB1k 1dayer - 2004 KDX125SR
    2011 DB1k 1dayer - 2008 WR250R

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Quote Originally Posted by XF650 View Post
    Thanks for the link Mark. I think Nordie uses those too.
    Yep.
    Only when racing though as they don't sit well with the DR tank.
    The XR and TT are much narrower and no problem with the bulkier guards.

Bike
    Dog Rooter
    Glad to hear you're OK, mon ami. What have you been doing to look after your leg since?

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Quote Originally Posted by chasio View Post
    What have you been doing to look after your leg since?
    Keeping an eye on it by taking it with him everywhere he goes?

Bike
    Designa Yello 2004 DR 650
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    Keeping an eye on it by taking it with him everywhere he goes?
    Wow ... now that is dedication to well being!
    Cheers Andi & Ellen
    twomotokiwis.com
    Two Moto Kiwis Adventure Ride, May 3rd 2012 -> 20XX Prudhoe Bay Alaska -> Ushuaia Argentina -> Then Wherever We Point The Bars

Bike
    77' CB750 Cafe Racer, 2009 Z750
    Quote Originally Posted by James Deuce View Post
    I think you might be confusing me with a dickhead. I was wearing full leathers with hard Armour at knees and elbows, boots that were rigid enough to be problematic to walk in, a back protector, a carbon fibre helmet and gloves with carbon fibre knuckle protectors. Abrasion resistance at 75 km/hr would be dealt with by a pair of Draggins.

The fact I still have a right foot is entirely down to my boots, the fact I'm alive is down to my helmet. The rib injures, the internal injuries and the gouges at knee and elbow are entirely down to supposedly superior leather gear and back protector failing and the "hard" armour shattering and the resulting shrapnel violating my inner sanctum. Actual injuries from sliding down the road had nothing to do with it.
    JD, what brand of back protector and leathers did you have on? Did you contact the manufacturers? Did the back protector do more harm than good?
    I love the smell of twin V16's in the morning..

Thread Information