Thread: Speedo Error??

Bike
    Goose

Speedo Error??

Just wondering how likely it is that my speedo reads wrong (too fast?). The other nite my mate followed me on his scooter up to my house. When we got there he told me I was going atleast 60 all the way home, but my speedo showed speeds of just over 50, it may be that HIS speedo was wrong, but last nite while riding up my road I swear that I saw a speed camera flash when I went past - I was the only one on the road at the time. But when I looked down my speedo read just a wee bit over 50? How can I get this checked?
    "Some people are like clouds, once they fuck off, it's a great day!"

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    Quote Originally Posted by Str8 Jacket
    Just wondering how likely it is that my speedo reads wrong (too fast?). The other nite my mate followed me on his scooter up to my house. When we got there he told me I was going atleast 60 all the way home, but my speedo showed speeds of just over 50, it may be that HIS speedo was wrong, but last nite while riding up my road I swear that I saw a speed camera flash when I went past - I was the only one on the road at the time. But when I looked down my speedo read just a wee bit over 50? How can I get this checked?
    Quite possible. Though usually they read fast. Borrow a GPS unit, or have someone with a known accurate (or known error) speedo pace you (you drive behind them as they do constant specific agreed speed)
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion
    Quite possible. Though usually they read fast. Borrow a GPS unit, or have someone with a known accurate (or known error) speedo pace you (you drive behind them as they do constant specific agreed speed)
    Ride around the streets at some random speed, and when pulled over by a cop (if you can find one), tell him your speedo is whack, and ask him to help you check it.
    Alternatively, you may be able to get a cop to do this without being pulled over for speeding.
    ... and that's what I think.

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    fire breathin ginja ninja
    apparently every speedo is out by some degree. The faster you're going, the further out it is. At 50, it shouldn't be 10 out already. And especially on a 2005 bike.. If you know someone with a GPS unit thingy, you can check it that way

Bike
    Goose
    Yea, im thinking that its more likely that my mates scooter speedo is wrong, but will go and try suss out a GPS thingy. Or (thankyou Vifferman) I may just try to do something "extraordinary" to get a coppers attention and try and convince them to help me!
    "Some people are like clouds, once they fuck off, it's a great day!"

Bike
    Bikasaurus Rex,Tricerabike
    Two ways of checking:
    find one of those "you are travelling at this speed trailers"on the highway.
    they are accurate.
    Get a cycle computer,these are calibrated to you wheel diameter.
    I use a cycle computer my Bandit reads 120kph at 110kph true

Thread Information