Advertise with Kiwi Biker
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21

Thread: 2 stroke emissions testing?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    1st December 2014 - 19:23
    Bike
    89 Intruder/86 TZR250/85 RZ250
    Location
    Gisborne
    Posts
    224

    2 stroke emissions testing?

    Hi guys I?m sitting at home bored, sick feeling sorry for myself and started thinking about a old sticker I found on the tail plastic on the 350LC I?m restoring, had little laugh when I read it but the ?produces less pollution? part made me think compared to modern vehicles that?s no where near correct anymore and to add to that I took my 87 RZ for WOF at local testing station a few months ago and everything checked out fine till I started it up to ride down to where they issue the wof and the tester noticed the smoke and said oh dear it smokes a bit that may be a fail, he revved it a couple of times which made it smoke more ,bike was still cold from the short ride to testing station which didn?t help. I explained it?s a 2 stroke and smokes a bit more when cold and if it didn?t smoke at all I would be very worried which didn?t seem to impress the guy, luckily another tester came over and said to the other guy it?s fine that?s the way they are told me to go to exit and wait while he issued the wof.
    So all ended up ok but made me wonder when the greenies will jump on the emissions thing and call for emission testing to be part of wof testing? So what then for our precious 2 smokes will they be outlawed?
    Sorry for rambling on boredom will do that I guess.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1AEC1210-89BB-4576-AF96-79C449174ADE.jpeg 
Views:	38 
Size:	634.0 KB 
ID:	342154  

  2. #2
    Join Date
    14th July 2006 - 21:39
    Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    9,083
    Blog Entries
    8
    There has been talk of shoving a tester up ya pipe for WOF's for years.

    The problem will be exactly what you encountered, a inspector who is applying a modern standard to something made decades ago.

    In NZ we are very lucky with our motorcycles - we can get away with a lot of modifications that don't require certification, or probably should but no-fucks are given. Add to that list de-cat of your exhaust system, which appears to be completely overlooked at WOF time (self included on this subject).

    A friend of mine took his early 80's Holden for a WOF some time back - the inspector was going to fail it due to excessively heavy steering - until it was pointed out that the car did not have power steering and they was the way it was built. He had to go get a 'older' inspector to verify the way things were.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    26th January 2010 - 19:14
    Bike
    2012 Suzuki Boulevard M50
    Location
    North Shore, Auckland
    Posts
    976
    Smoke-free 2-stroke motorbike oil is available, in fact most 2-stroke motorbike oils should now be smoke-free. The formulators use poly-iso-butane (PIB) as the base fluid and this totally decomposes into CO2 and H2O in the combustion chamber, eliminating exhaust smoke and fouled exhaust ports. From memory PIB decomposes at 185 deg C, so even a cold motorbike engine shouldn't smoke much/for a very short time/at all.
    There are two songs, "Stairway to Heaven" and "Highway to Hell" which I think give an indication of expected traffic flow

  4. #4
    Join Date
    24th November 2015 - 11:20
    Bike
    Suzuki Burgman 650
    Location
    Blenheim and Welly
    Posts
    273
    I guess next time you'll just need to take the long route to the WOF centre so that it's properly warmed up. Bike emissions testing is something that will come to us sooner or later. Bike fuel consumption has long been something that most of us don't really talk about but it's now starting to become rather more important to the manufacturers what with Euro 4 and 5 regs all but upon us.
    Navy Boy

  5. #5
    Join Date
    14th June 2007 - 22:39
    Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Location
    Pigs back.
    Posts
    4,760
    Smoke free 2t oil? Intrigued I am.
    I use Motul 700 (maybe) and it is low smoke. I think this applies to how far it floats before coming back down again.

    My 2t's are still original and running the factory oil system which is probably leaning towards longevity but they do like to puff cold, at low revs and high torque situations.

    Last time I got a WoF, after filling the shop with blue smoke, the only comment I got was how nice the smell was.

    Hopefully some sense will prevail with older vehicles, unlike older houses, that you can't make an old vehicle 21st century compliant.

    The only new 2t's available now are dirt bikes and possibly scoots. With FI on 2t's, emissions will come down, I'm reading 100:1 ratios at certain revs..
    Manopausal.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    24th November 2015 - 11:20
    Bike
    Suzuki Burgman 650
    Location
    Blenheim and Welly
    Posts
    273
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    Smoke free 2t oil? Intrigued I am.
    I use Motul 700 (maybe) and it is low smoke. I think this applies to how far it floats before coming back down again.

    My 2t's are still original and running the factory oil system which is probably leaning towards longevity but they do like to puff cold, at low revs and high torque situations.

    Last time I got a WoF, after filling the shop with blue smoke, the only comment I got was how nice the smell was.

    Hopefully some sense will prevail with older vehicles, unlike older houses, that you can't make an old vehicle 21st century compliant.

    The only new 2t's available now are dirt bikes and possibly scoots. With FI on 2t's, emissions will come down, I'm reading 100:1 ratios at certain revs..
    Blimey - 100:1. Our old off road 2 strokes used to run 35-40:1 if memory serves...
    Navy Boy

  7. #7
    Join Date
    14th June 2007 - 22:39
    Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Location
    Pigs back.
    Posts
    4,760
    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Boy View Post
    Blimey - 100:1. Our old off road 2 strokes used to run 35-40:1 if memory serves...
    Exacary.

    With correctly mapped FI you could ride 90 Mile beach tapped oot and not have a seizure when you shut the throttle, the mapping would allow overfuelling to cool off the head. Just a thought and not emissions friendly.

    Potentially, if exhaust emissions are measured by the same parameters as noise, a certain (relatively low) rev range, the bikes could be running pretty clean.

    IIRC Aprillia showcased a 2t scooter engine a few years ago with an injection system like a common rail diesel. It was Euro 4 compliant. Dunno if it went into production.
    Manopausal.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    14th July 2006 - 21:39
    Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    9,083
    Blog Entries
    8
    Old vehicles will get exemptions of some form - may be km limited or with the current government more likely you'll be taxed higher if you own a pre XX vehicle.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    25th March 2004 - 17:22
    Bike
    RZ496/Street Triple R/GasGas/ etc etc
    Location
    Wellington. . ok the hutt
    Posts
    16,770
    At least 2 bikes past me in the forest today and smelt of Castol R30. It was great.
    I've been told. Dreaming`s free.
    Think I'll go, back to sleep.
    Everybody listen, voices in my head
    Everybody listen, do yours say, what mine says?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    26th February 2005 - 15:10
    Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    Location
    In the cave of Adullam
    Posts
    13,622
    Quote Originally Posted by VIRM Manual

    First registered before 1 January 1960 with four-stroke engine manufactured before 1 January 1960, or

    Vehicle with two-stroke engine or rotary engine.

    The smoke produced is not noticeably and significantly more visible than it would have been when the vehicle was manufactured and supplied with the fuel recommended by the manufacturer (Note 4).
    Note the above quote from the VIRM manual ( the WOF rule book). Two smokers are ok so long as they don't produce significantly more smoke than when new. This I know, because I was the guy who spoke with LTSA as they were then, when the emissions rules were first proposed,and explained about two strokes. After a high level discussion at LTSA they agreed that two strokes should, effectively, be exempt.

    The government have had a problem with emissions testing as part of WOF, because for years NZ had a motor assembly industry. But the vehicles we assembled here had the emission control stuff left off or ineffective, it was cheaper. so. Having allowed these vehicles initially, it is difficult to now turn round and say they are illegal. aNd since vital parts of the emission control hardware were often simply left off, those vehicles never be made compliant.

    So if a WOF inspector tries to fail your ring-a-ding-ding on the grounds of smoke, just tell him To read his manual
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

  11. #11
    Join Date
    13th July 2008 - 20:48
    Bike
    K1600GTL
    Location
    Rangiora
    Posts
    3,945
    Bikes appear to be smokier because you can see the smoke. Thing is, emissions aren't just the smoke you can see. For this reason, a 350cc bike emits less hydrocarbons than a 1600cc car despite appearing to be a lot worse.

    I'm not sure about this, but it kind of makes sense. Any of you scientist types care to advise?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    24th November 2015 - 11:20
    Bike
    Suzuki Burgman 650
    Location
    Blenheim and Welly
    Posts
    273
    In basic terms the nasties emitting from the exhaust are directly proportional to the amount of fuel the bike/car uses. Hence my comment earlier about bikes' fuel consumption figures and how the manufacturers are having to pay more and more attention to this area.

    Bikes tend not to sell on account of how efficient they are but this needs to start figuring in buyers' minds a lot more. Especially if bikes are to be taken seriously as an ecologically-friendly alternative to other forms of transport.

    The nice bit to this is that Euro 3/4 and soon-to-come 5 rules tend to make engines more efficient and hence better on fuel anyway. My 1995 Triumph Thunderbird and 2017 Thruxton are prime examples of this with the Thunderbird giving 15-16 km/litre and the Thruxton some 20-22 km/litre. This still being possible despite the Thruxton generating significantly more power and being rather nice and responsive to ride.

    A bit like the noise aspects of the Euro 4 regs when a lot of people, myself included, were concerned that the new regs would stifle bikes' exhaust notes even more. However the reverse appears to be true (Owing to the way in which the sound is now measured apparently) with many Euro 4-compliant machines being more pleasing to the ear in standard trim.

    So - It's not all bad news - Especially when older machines are effectively exempt as described above.

    We live in a golden age of bike design and capability.
    Navy Boy

  13. #13
    Join Date
    13th July 2008 - 20:48
    Bike
    K1600GTL
    Location
    Rangiora
    Posts
    3,945
    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Boy View Post
    In basic terms the nasties emitting from the exhaust are directly proportional to the amount of fuel the bike/car uses. Hence my comment earlier about bikes' fuel consumption figures and how the manufacturers are having to pay more and more attention to this area.

    Bikes tend not to sell on account of how efficient they are but this needs to start figuring in buyers' minds a lot more. Especially if bikes are to be taken seriously as an ecologically-friendly alternative to other forms of transport.

    The nice bit to this is that Euro 3/4 and soon-to-come 5 rules tend to make engines more efficient and hence better on fuel anyway. My 1995 Triumph Thunderbird and 2017 Thruxton are prime examples of this with the Thunderbird giving 15-16 km/litre and the Thruxton some 20-22 km/litre. This still being possible despite the Thruxton generating significantly more power and being rather nice and responsive to ride.

    A bit like the noise aspects of the Euro 4 regs when a lot of people, myself included, were concerned that the new regs would stifle bikes' exhaust notes even more. However the reverse appears to be true (Owing to the way in which the sound is now measured apparently) with many Euro 4-compliant machines being more pleasing to the ear in standard trim.

    So - It's not all bad news - Especially when older machines are effectively exempt as described above.

    We live in a golden age of bike design and capability.
    I tend to take the car to work, despite it using more fuel. Not a lot more, but more. My car is a turbo 1000cc, 3 cyl rocket ship. My bike is a 6 cyl, 1600cc rocket ship.

    The car uses tyres every 40 - 45 thousand km. The bike every 12000 km. The 10K service on the car is way cheaper than the 10K service on the bike.

    It's not just about the petrol.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    24th November 2015 - 11:20
    Bike
    Suzuki Burgman 650
    Location
    Blenheim and Welly
    Posts
    273
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    I tend to take the car to work, despite it using more fuel. Not a lot more, but more. My car is a turbo 1000cc, 3 cyl rocket ship. My bike is a 6 cyl, 1600cc rocket ship.

    The car uses tyres every 40 - 45 thousand km. The bike every 12000 km. The 10K service on the car is way cheaper than the 10K service on the bike.

    It's not just about the petrol.
    Very true Rastuscat. Bikes' running costs are one of those things that it pays not to pay too much attention to in my experience.

    However from an emissions and hence economy perspective bikes have been needing to do a lot better for many years now. Plus - And this isn't intended as any sort of dig (I rather like the K1600 models) most people aren't going to be looking at a K1600 Beemer as an everyday commuter. Not unless you compare it to the BMW car equivalent. Something like say a high end 5, 6 or 7 series at any rate.
    Navy Boy

  15. #15
    Join Date
    14th June 2007 - 22:39
    Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Location
    Pigs back.
    Posts
    4,760
    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Boy View Post
    Very true Rastuscat. Bikes' running costs are one of those things that it pays not to pay too much attention to in my experience.

    However from an emissions and hence economy perspective bikes have been needing to do a lot better for many years now. Plus - And this isn't intended as any sort of dig (I rather like the K1600 models) most people aren't going to be looking at a K1600 Beemer as an everyday commuter. Not unless you compare it to the BMW car equivalent. Something like say a high end 5, 6 or 7 series at any rate.
    Kinda wandering off topic but the new T7 Yamaha, CP2 parallel twin motor, has a 16ltr tank and is taking a big shot at the adventure bike market which demands big distances between fills. Yamaha claim 350kms to a tank, summit like 4.6ltrs / 100km. That strikes me as reasonably efficient considering it has the aerodynamics of a trampoline. I suspect it will only see the dealer for it's service.
    Bikes designed purely for commuting are far more frugal.

    One thing I've noticed wid 2t's, which abandons any emissions arguments, they love petrol! The more you stick in, the more they seem to like it. My DT230 is re-jetted (WR 200 jetting), goes like a cut cat and will slurp 11ltrs in less than 150km of grins.
    Manopausal.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •