Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: F**k, Damn, Triple f**k, shit!

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    Whatever it is , I doubt that it will be able to be fixed without some degree of stripping of the engine unit. I'm assuming that you can normally start it with the starter with the clutch disengaged? If so, it's not just the clutch release mechanism jammed up.

EDIT: If you put the bike in gear and use the starter motor, does the bike move forward ?
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    2003 Yamaha XT225, 2010 Electric scooter
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    Whatever it is , I doubt that it will be able to be fixed without some degree of stripping of the engine unit. I'm assuming that you can normally start it with the starter with the clutch disengaged? If so, it's not just the clutch release mechanism jammed up.
    Normally starts fine in first with the clutch disengaged (providing the clutch safety switch is not acting up as sometimes happens, forcing me to take it out of first to get the starter to work at all).

Even in neutral the starter sounds like it's running mostly free (sounds a mite noisy to be running totally unencumbered)
    http://wolfmotorcycling.freehostia.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by jrandom View Post
    We 'athiests' consider Wolf 'one of us' inasmuch as his approach to matters of philosophy mirrors our own. The fact that he chooses to live by tenets driven by a fantasy of the supernatural that he finds personally appealing and culturally relevant is neither here nor there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiny side up View Post
    It is amazing what you can do with a big hammer and a lot of care.
    Thank Eris for the FSM!!

Bike
    81 katana 650 fighter.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Crockashit...

the same resistance as after pulling the plug(s) out.... NONE...
    wrong..... theres a big difference between the starter driving an engine with plugs out / hole in piston , than it spinning free because its teeth are stripped off.

i'm trying to help thier is no need to question my judgement.

get bent.

Ive been working on bikes both personally and chasing it as a career for 3 years, i'm not a total retard.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    EDIT: If you put the bike in gear and use the starter motor, does the bike move forward ?
    **A quick experiment later**
    The moment I stick it in gear the safety switch disables the starter circuit. Pulling in the clutch does not over-ride that safety at the moment.

Clutch is not disengaging at all when I pull it in - still feels the same and I can hear stuff (transmission, I suspect) moving when I'm pushing it in first. Today, no noticeable difference in effort while pushing it in first with clutch in or out.
    We 'athiests' consider Wolf 'one of us' inasmuch as his approach to matters of philosophy mirrors our own. The fact that he chooses to live by tenets driven by a fantasy of the supernatural that he finds personally appealing and culturally relevant is neither here nor there.
    Thank Eris for the FSM!!

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    I am strongly thinking either primary drive failure, or maybe a broken crankshaft .

Looking at a fiche for that motor it looks like the starter clutch pinion is part of the primary drive !

You can check whether its engine or drive very simply (simply for me anyway).

On the left hand side engine cover, in the centre, is what looks like a honking big screw head .Right in the centre. Unscrew that (a car wheel nut brace will often have a big screwdriver end on it). Behind it is a big nut. Put a big spanner on the big nut and turn it. Or get your spouse/mate/boyfriend/girlfriend/goat who has a big spanner to do it. That will turn the crankshaft directly. If you feel the usual compression, oof, easier now, compression then that end of the crank is turning and the top end of the engine is OK. Now put the bike in gear. Turn nut again. If bike doesn't try to move forward, primary drive has failed (maybe transmission but unlikely) .

I'd have the primary drive cover off m'self. It can even be done by the roadside.

EDIT. Bloody safety switches. Is why I always disable them

EDITY EDIT: Once you have that big screw hgead thing removed, watch the nut while you hit the starter. If it doesn't turn, primary drive gone.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    And the winners are:

all those who said "broken cam chain".

Everything's turning over but it seems the valve is open and no chain to shut it again - hence zero compression.

Shiny side up arrived just as I was about to try Ixion's diagnostics - we tried them, took the spark plug out and noted piston moving but no compression. Took valve cover off, no valve movement.

Took cam cover off, sprocket but no chain, SSU's trying to fish the chain out of the clutch now.
    Thank Eris for the FSM!!

Bike

It lives!

Thanks to Shiny side up and Motu, the XT is now running!

SSU, being significantly more ept than I am with engines, managed to pull the chain out and thanks to Motu, I had a perfectly good timing chain in the garage (from the old TT225 he gave me) so SSU put the new (it pretty much was new) timing chain in and the bike is now running fine.

I was expecting the work to be nothing more than an autopsy with a resultant list of things I needed to replace.

Neither SSU nor I expected the bike to be fixed today.
    Thank Eris for the FSM!!

Bike
    2006 Triumph Bonneville T100, RSV Mille
    God bless KB eh.

With friends like these.....................................

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Well done all.

Bike
    2006 Suzuki Bandit GSF650
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    Thanks to Shiny side up and Motu, the XT is now running!
    But I was forced to make a blood sacrafice this time.

The technical of the problem for those who are interested. The cam chain was so worn that it formed a big smile when you held sideways by 2 ends. It appears to have had sufficent sideways play to step off over the sprocket. I thought it must be broken but when we (eventually - with a blood sacrafice) got the magneto flywheel off (or what ever you call the thing with magnets in it) the chain was unbroken. It was however sitting on the primary drive and efectively bypassing the clutch.

New quote for you.... It is amazing what you can do with a big hammer and a lot of care.

The job was done without dropping the oil out with the bike leaned over to about 45deg.

I wish the XJ was that easy to work on.

Bike
    '08 DR650
    So it escaped significant valve + piston damage, good stuff... how does the tensioner look?

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Squiggles View Post
    So it escaped significant valve + piston damage, good stuff... how does the tensioner look?
    Tensioner's fine except a couple of scrapes from the falling chain. As I was just starting to take off neither the bike nor the revs were going fast enough for any real damage.

The engine no longer has the rattle I've been hearing for a while. I thought it might have been tappets in need of adjustment (told ya I'm a fuckin' idiot when it comes to engines) but in retrospect I'd guess it was the cam chain.

Last night when the bike stopped I was expecting to be bussing for a long time while saving up for a long list of needed parts.

I've still got to get some parts - new gasket and a bolt to replace the one that snapped (that's as traditional as the blood sacrifice), but at least I'm not up for major dollars and the bike will run.

Thanks to this afternoon, I'm also more aware of what's inside the engine and how to work on it.

Pluses all 'round.

Cheers to all for the advice, troubleshooting and instructions on how to get inside the engine without draining it first.
    Thank Eris for the FSM!!

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by skidMark View Post
    Ive been working on bikes both personally and chasing it as a career for 3 years, i'm not a total retard.
    Keep chasing...GOOD LUCK.

And I wasn't trying to suggest you were a total....
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi cowboy View Post
    :client: ::above and beyond the call::
    Our clients are special... they have money. Have we done any work for you...???
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    A Cage
    Nice save lol.

Thread Information