Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Questions on practicalities

Bike
    none

Questions on practicalities

Hi everyone,

Im really considering learning to ride but there are a few things holding me back and I'd like to hear if a bike is really practical for me. The main concerns I have are:

If you ride into work how do you manage to wear both your work clothes and the bike gear as well? like I have to wear a suit for work, so is it just a point of putting on the jacket, pants, boots and gloves over it? How does this work in the summer? Or do you guys carry a change of clothes into work?

How do you guys find riding in the rain?

How much safety gear is enough?

Thanks for the help

Bike
    Goose
    I leave my work clothes such as suit jacket and shoes at work and just wear the rest under my codura's.

Safety gear is awesome and something you will only really find out if and when you crash. Its your decision to wear safety gear pnly must is a helmet.

NEVER ride in the rain. Your bike will rust.
    "Some people are like clouds, once they fuck off, it's a great day!"

Bike
    SF
    Take the cage to work on a monday with a week of shirts etc. I have an iron and ironing board at work plus a shower I can use which I need cos of the helmet hair
    Ride Tuesday-Thurs unless it's raining - I'm not as hard core as some.
    Take the cage on Friday and bring stuff home to wash after stopping off for a beer

Bike
    Goose
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_t View Post
    Take the cage to work on a monday with a week of shirts etc. I have an iron and ironing board at work plus a shower I can use which I need cos of the helmet hair
    Ride Tuesday-Thurs unless it's raining - I'm not as hard core as some.
    Take the cage on Friday and bring stuff home to wash after stopping off for a beer
    Oh my... Life is so much easier when you dont have a cage licence. Dont even get to think about it!

Bike
    Various
    Quote Originally Posted by MiguelWrang View Post
    If you ride into work how do you manage to wear both your work clothes and the bike gear as well? like I have to wear a suit for work, so is it just a point of putting on the jacket, pants, boots and gloves over it? How does this work in the summer? Or do you guys carry a change of clothes into work?

Thanks for the help
    It aint worth the hassle.
    Get a new job!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tank
    You say "no one wants to fuck with some large bloke on a really angry sounding bike" but the truth of the matter is that you are a balding middle-aged ice-cream seller from Edgecume who wears a hello kitty t-shirt (in your profile pic) and your angry sounding bike is a fucken hyoshit - not some big assed harley with a human skull on the front.

Bike
    FZR 400
    nah, you buy suits 3 sizes too big and just wear them over your armour problem solved... next
    Quote Originally Posted by carbonhed View Post
    Some Kiwibiker threads contain such a wealth of fuckwittery that they should in some way be permanently removed from the digital domain, carved onto stone tablets and then launched into space to scare the living shit out of any hostile alien species that may be lurking nearby

Bike
    Yamaha, XV250
    I also keep clothes and necessities at work. This takes some forward planning but far out weighs the annoyance and cost of public transport ($8.60 return on the bus per day with a multipass concession). My two cents.
    When my life flashes before my eyes - I hope it's worth watchin!

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    I have ridden to werk which required suit-wearing. Not hard.

Keep the jacket at werk. Suit jackets need cleaning only occasionally. When they do, stuff the old one in a back pack. Bring the fresh one next day very carefully folded . This is the only hard part.

In between, shirt and trousers, jacket and leggings over them , tie in pocket. Either keep a pair of dress shoes at work or carry them in jacket pocets (or ride in shoes , I am no ATGATT Nazi).

Once at werk, off with jacket, gloves, helmet. Shoes and tie on, jacket on if needfull, all ready to go.

Short male hair does not suffer from helmet hair.

A machine with luggage capacity facilitates matters.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    Ducati 900ss The Guido Torpedo
    I leave my shoes and Jacket at the office and wear the rest under my corduras. Easy.
    Exert your talents, and distinguish yourself, and don't think of retiring from the world, until the world will be sorry that you retire. -Samuel Johnson

Bike
    2008 Yamaha Scorpio
    I wear corduras over my work pants and top/shirt. I keep shoes and jackets at work... as well as spare pants just in case it rains and my corduras leak!

Seems to work ok for me

Bike
    Triple Delight
    Guys, what if he wears skirts?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gubb View Post
    Nonono,

He rides the Leprachhaun at the end of the Rainbow. Usually goes by the name Anne McMommus

Bike
    Goose
    Quote Originally Posted by Mom View Post
    Guys, what if he wears skirts?
    Easy, he can put it on over his coduras. Duh!

Bike
    Triple Delight
    Quote Originally Posted by Str8 Jacket View Post
    Easy, he can put it on over his coduras. Duh!
    LOL...Yeah, but they get so crinkled

I used to have my "girlie" work clothes at work, and get changed when I arrived. Helmet hair is the new chic btw!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gubb View Post
    Nonono,

He rides the Leprachhaun at the end of the Rainbow. Usually goes by the name Anne McMommus

Bike
    2018 Moto Guzzi V9
    If your jackets & pants are waterproof just wear your work gear under. Riding in rain is ok just watch for oil slicks & avoid at all costs. I wear a bright yellow fluro vest over my jacket so no excuse not to be seen. as mentioned already keep suit jacket & shoes @ work.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by MiguelWrang View Post
    Hi everyone,

Im really considering learning to ride but there are a few things holding me back and I'd like to hear if a bike is really practical for me. The main concerns I have are:

Thanks for the help
    Bikes are completely impractical. But heaps of fun.

If you're seriously concerned about practicality get a Corolla.

Thread Information